Orion T-Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
:'(So, I got my note from AA explaining that the Orion is going to be delayed yet again. :doh:Now it looks like 1st quarter of '04. I'm a patient guy, but am getting a bit impatient at this point. I hope the product will pan out and be what I'm hoping for. I guess if not, Marlin will get my low gear dollar$.

from what I read on the PBB, it sounds like they have a non-US source for these that is stalling on manufacturing....personally, I prefer the selectability of a dual t-case, but the added strength of this does get ya thinking!

Yeah, selectability is a nice thing, but fitting a stock-like case in there made from stronger material is really appealing for it's simplicity. No driveline mods!! Maybe I'm just dreamin'!

the MAF case is designed for stock gearsets....most of us are looking for deeper low range, and the Orion is supposed to be, what, 3.4:1 or something?!? (stock is either 2.313: or (75-newer) 1.999:1)

Yeah, as I understand it, the Orion is 4:1 low.....which would be very desirable. If all the advantages pan out, it is worth the wait I think. At least that is what I'm hoping for..... ::)

I love it,
For everyone chiming in about how cool and strong the AA Orion tcase is going to be.

AA has apparently not even seen one :)

Just having a stupid low crawl ration with a weak front output does not seem like a good idea to me.

Most of the time wheelin I really like 70:1. 150:1 is really Wayyyyyyyy low..

So Smart one, how do YOU go about getting that? :flipoff2:

Jason runs a double t-case...in his dual, dual mini's with a centered rear axle. My future plan is also double t-case, since I'm 95% satisfied with the 62:1 I run right now....

mine will be SM465 to marlin-mini to a split cruiser case...

I`m doing a frame up resto,have a sbc,sm465 and no t-case yet,I am worried about the strengh of the alum case-but I do not really need super low gears for my type of wheeling,what do you think about the 3 speed case-would the cast iron case from man a fre with 3 speed gears be the ticket?I allready have a plate adapter for my 465 to 3 speed case,but no case.I want to build this baby to last.

Plenty of people (ie woody and others) run 465's with three speed cases. Plenty stong. It ain't a heep where the entire driveline needs to be replaced to do anything.

If you search the lcml archives, you will see that Marlin dual case for Land Cruisers were in the making for years before it hit the market, same thing with AA Rockbox. So hang on, Land Cruiser is a small market anyway, so when case comes out make sure you get one because I doubt they're will be around for a long time i.e. Fairey Override...

I ordered one, worst case scenarios, I get my money back. Otherwise I'll get a good case with good discount.

/td

[quote author=jccruiser78 link=board=1;threadid=6016;start=msg48505#msg48505 date=1065578612]
I`m doing a frame up resto,have a sbc,sm465 and no t-case yet,I am worried about the strengh of the alum case-but I do not really need super low gears for my type of wheeling,what do you think about the 3 speed case-would the cast iron case from man a fre with 3 speed gears be the ticket?I allready have a plate adapter for my 465 to 3 speed case,but no case.I want to build this baby to last.
[/quote]

IMO, the alum cases survive just fine IF you build a good quality full skid plate. I have yet to have issues with mine.

Your combo would net you 62:1 which is a nice crawl for most situations. There will be times you want more, but not many.

If my math is correct, 4.95 X 4.0 X 4.11 = 81.4 crawl ratio with the proposed Orion. This is with an H41 up front. This isn't outrageous, but would be very capable for a "stock" length drive train. Can more reduction be achieved? Certainly, but something has to give for that to be accomplished. Shorter rear shafts must be used. That isn't terrible either, but I guess it comes down to intended use and what you are willing to do.
The worry about a weak nose cone can be dealt with using a Warden's billet snout. Although I've only seen one stock nosecone failure before. The unfortunate owner told me he knew the bearings were loose, but hadn't spent the time to replace them.. :doh: I've been running the 3 spd. case for 4 years, and it hasn't given me any trouble other than a whine when it was 1st installed...(gears had to wear in.) :cheers:

Anyone heard a ballpark price on that thing yet? Couldn't find much info on the AA site.

I was told that it was going to sell for around 1700.00.(us)

But with the delays, who knows. I am waiting on a few too, but I am not going to sit here and whine about AA.

This product is not preventing me, or any of the others waiting for them with my order, from running thier trucks, doing the type of wheeling that they like to do. Like many have said before me about many a product, I would prefer a delay and getting it right the first time, instead of having problems with it when I get it.

It would be nice to have it, I think that there are places that I could use the 137:1 that it will give me, and if that is too deep, the 69:1 in second gear will be just fine.

-Steve

http://www.advanceadapters.com/orion.html

[quote author=Jason_M link=board=1;threadid=6016;start=msg48448#msg48448 date=1065569481]

Just having a stupid low crawl ration with a weak front output does not seem like a good idea to me.

[/quote]

Have you broke on of these Jason? How did it happen?

[quote author=1Fine40 link=board=1;threadid=6016;start=msg48666#msg48666 date=1065626392]
If my math is correct, 4.95 X 4.0 X 4.11 = 81.4 crawl ratio with the proposed Orion. This is with an H41 up front. This isn't outrageous, but would be very capable for a "stock" length drive train. Can more reduction be achieved? Certainly, but something has to give for that to be accomplished. Shorter rear shafts must be used. That isn't terrible either, but I guess it comes down to intended use and what you are willing to do.
The worry about a weak nose cone can be dealt with using a Warden's billet snout. Although I've only seen one stock nosecone failure before. The unfortunate owner told me he knew the bearings were loose, but hadn't spent the time to replace them.. :doh: I've been running the 3 spd. case for 4 years, and it hasn't given me any trouble other than a whine when it was 1st installed...(gears had to wear in.) :cheers:
[/quote]
Sm420 plus orion plus stock axle would net 115 to 1 with a nearly stock drivetrain length. (little longer than 3 spd, little shorter than 4 spd IIRC.) But I ain't about to drop that kinda money on a transfer.

Anyone heard anything new on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom