Orion T/C + PTO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about getting an Orion transfer case. Has anyone set one up with a PTO? Given that the dimensions of the Orion are the same as the stock, seems like a PTO would work just the same, no?

Thanks!

Will work fine.

I've got one on the bench tonight for assembly and installation w/PTO over the next couple of days. As Steve says, it'll work fine.

Mark...

The PTO will but pay attention when building that orion.
Mine has new collar , nice tight shift fork , and the fawker still pops out upon downhill coasting in 2 h. Popped outa 4 lo 1 time but I was in 4 th. and going fast when I let off gas and pop. They are super quiet and the gearing is the shiz nitty nit nit.

Update on this.

Like I mentioned above, I was about to, and have now just finished an Orion installation w/PTO.

I have had this one sitting in the shop for a while. I bought it during the pre-order stage. It's #38. I just got around to installing it. I had spoken to AA either 2 or 3 times when the issue of PTO compatibility was addressed. They always told me that it would go right on, just like the stock case.

Not quite.

The face where the PTO drive mounts is approx .150 closer to the inpout shaft. Which means it is that much closer to the PTO drive gear. Which means that the two gears try to occupy the same space as they mesh. That doesn't work out to well. I wound up making a spacer to bolt between the PTO and the T/C to adress this problem.
Additionally the front side of the "window" that the PTO bolts into/over intrudes into the space needed by the gears of the PTO drive box by about 2mm. I had to grind this area to solve that problem.

At end of the day it went together. But it was a royal pain in the butt.

Mark...

Further update. ;)

After a day of hard use in wide variety of situations it all works well. No popping out of gear under any combination of stresses (light and hard throttle, light and heavy load, high and low speed, accelerating and engine braking, and all transitions in between). Stays in gear fine so far. Once the spacer was installed (see previous post) the PTO is quiet and functions perfectly.

Mark...

Hi All:

So Mark W. - did you do any additional steps during the assembly to address the problem that other folks are experiencing with the Orion popping out of gear?

Thanks!

Alan
Seattle

Nope. All I did was make sure not to use any parts that were in less then optimal condition. I have seen a couple people mention assembling them with parts that they knew were showing wear. Doesn't make sense to me.

I just put it together with good parts and just to be safe, adjusted the detent spring for the high/low sit down nice and tight.

I had to make a run yesterday to retrieve a buddy who had gone out with just ATV riders along with him and his '40. When we arrived he was stuck in thick cement-like mud with two of his 35s out of sight and just the top couple of inches of the other two showing. More importantly he had somehow broken a rear axle and both birfields while trying to get out. By the time we managed to winch him out (there was no snatching this rig loose) both of the rear springs were bent from the resistence of the mud to movement of the rig.

We trailered the rig the 250 miles to the trailhead 'cause I really didn't want to put that wear on the brand new 39.5x18 boggers I just put on it. The trail was a pretty easy and short run to where he was stuck. Some major mud right at that location. I towed/drug him out and had to do some brush crawling and some precise low speed creeping and crawling for positioning and more winching to get him out the trail.

Spent the whole time in low range except for one instance where it called for some higher speed spin to clean out the tires. High and low load use, powering and engine braking.

So far, zero problems with the Orion, and as mentioned before the PTO works perfectly once the spacer was included in the equation.

Just have to see how it continues to work over the next month with some of the longer runs that are coming up.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom