orion or toy box (1 Viewer)

orion or toy box

• 4.1 orion

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • 4.7 toybox

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i vote for whatever you can run without getting sick .

I say toybox, because then you have multiple gear selections instead of just really stupid low, stupid slow, slow, and semi slow.

It isn't that big of a deal for the tranny hump, you just have to cut out a little section of the rear output shaft cone that no one would ever see. Probably the biggest pain in the ass would be creating new linkage for your t-case because now it sits 5"s back from stock.

John Smith said:
The only drawback to the Orion is the one low range option. You have super slow and that is it. With the Toybox you have many lowrange options. I normally wheel with just the Toybox 4.7 engaged and the stock transfer case in highrange. When I want silly crawl I engage lowrange in the stock tranfer case. I like the many gear options and find myself using many different combinations depending on the trail.

If you don't want all the gearing options definitely go with the Orion as the install is MUCH easier.

megolfer said:
I like the toybox. I have the 2.28 toybox and a sm465. Love the combo because I can use stock low range. Gives me a variety.

Since you two are the only ones that have them installed in your truck, what engine are you using?

V8 or stock six?

Thanks!

-Steve

I am running a 2F and H41 into 4.7 Toybox into 4speed transfer. I run 4:10 gears in the diffs and 36 bias Iroks. It is driven to all wheeling events and if gas were not so damn high I would drive it to work more often. The stock gears and 36s make for very nice highway RPMs.

Coming from a minitruck background I really wanted dual cases and at the time I bought my Toybox the Orion was still vaporware so the choice was easy for me. If I were to do it all over again I would still go with the Toybox. I still find myself using the stock transfercase lowrange in certain situations but mostly it is stays Toybox or sillycrawl. My one local wheeling buddy with a Orion laments the loss of his standard low range.

John Smith said:
I am running a 2F and H41 into 4.7 Toybox into 4speed transfer. I run 4:10 gears in the diffs and 36 bias Iroks. It is driven to all wheeling events and if gas were not so damn high I would drive it to work more often. The stock gears and 36s make for very nice highway RPMs.

Coming from a minitruck background I really wanted dual cases and at the time I bought my Toybox the Orion was still vaporware so the choice was easy for me. If I were to do it all over again I would still go with the Toybox. I still find myself using the stock transfercase lowrange in certain situations but mostly it is stays Toybox or sillycrawl. My one local wheeling buddy with a Orion laments the loss of his standard low range.

Thanks for posting up...

How long is your rear drive shaft?

Did you move your rear axle rearward, and if so, how far?

What are you using for a skid plate?

Do you have any pics of this combo that you can post up?

Thanks!

-Steve

I'm with John Smith, I really like having three low ranges even if I use 4.7 most of the time. My son did a 3 link in the rear at the same time I installed the ToyBox so the rear axle was moved back 4". I used a skid plate from a three speed 40 and it works great.

76FJ40 said:
I'm with John Smith, I really like having three low ranges even if I use 4.7 most of the time. My son did a 3 link in the rear at the same time I installed the ToyBox so the rear axle was moved back 4". I used a skid plate from a three speed 40 and it works great.

Toyota 6 or Chev V8 conversion?

Please post up some pictures in this thread of your set up.

Thanks!

-Steve

Front and rear stock springs are flipped SOA. At rest the driveshaft is 20.75 in. flange to flange. It is a shortened 85 minitruck front CV shaft and has plenty of slip travel right from the factory. The Toybox crossmember is homemade. I whipped it up in a hurry with a piece of C channel I had lying around, it is not the most elegant but it works. It hangs below the framerail but I have yet to catch it on anything. It has plates running along the outside of the framerails with three bolts per side to hold it on. It is on my list of things to redo once Winter comes. I want to incorporate a skidplate into my next design.

xfer1js0.jpg

drvshaftxl5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom