Orion issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m ready to assemble the Orion that’s going behind the H41 (behind the stock Mercedes OM314) in my 88 OJ50 Bandeirante. With stock 3.70s and 33.9” 8.25R16s.
I specified fine spline rear output shaft. The current stock TC has 1.992 low range. Says so in owners manual. Not low enough with 3.7s (needed for 60mph though) especially with 34s instead of 32s.
I have a donor case in the garage with idler gear tooth counts 41/27. Parts book says that’s 7504-8007 time range.
Question is: is donor case 1.992 or 1.963? Does it even matter?Probably doesn’t matter, but I’d like to know for sure. AA doesn’t think it matters. I know for sure it’s not a 3 speed 2.313 case because those have 39/25 idler gear count.
It appears all I’ll need from the Bandeirante is the top high-low shifter cover, missing from the donor case. Also PTO cover of course.
After this (73:1 low 1st), install takeout rear Detroit/front ARB from defunct BJ60, fix broken LF spring leaf, install aux fuel tank (stock only 52L!!).
Etc.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I was horrified to discover that they shipped 10 spline input gear (ONLY for 3 speed transmission) even though I made it absolutely clear I had a 4 speed H41. Sent several emails to AA (their sticker was on the cardboard box of the gear) and BTB (who actually sold it to me because AA was out of stock).
If the 16 spline gear is out of stock or even worse out of production….

That is very unfortunate. You will obviously need to return that gear.

Paging @orangefj45 Georg. He will know what exactly is available currently, and can hook you up with that gear as long as it’s available.

But your post remains confusing. How did you end up with an Orion without an input gear to begin with? That is an essential component of every unit sold new.

That is very unfortunate. You will obviously need to return that gear.

Paging @orangefj45 Georg. He will know what exactly is available currently, and can hook you up with that gear as long as it’s available.

But your post remains confusing. How did you end up with an Orion without an input gear to begin with? That is an essential component of every unit sold new.
They did supply it. But the wrong gear. As tangible evidence that they (BTB/AA) knew that I have a 4spd (not 3spd), they sent the correct bolt kit for a 4spd installation.
Gonna start bugging them in a few minutes.

We have the proper input gear in stock.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

PS: I hope they’re able to offer proper tech support. The orion kit by itself is typically “not enough” to complete the job successfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom