Orion "donor kit"... does such a thing exist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to build an Orion TC this winter and slap it under my 1980 '40. Haven't done this before, so it may take me a while and I'd like to leave my truck drivable while I work through it. Do any of our venerable vendors already provide, or would be interested in putting together, a "donor kit" that contains all the bits off the stock TC that can be used to build a complete TC (probably with the exception of the E brake)? That way, I end up with two complete TCs rather than one (Orion) TC and pile of parts and I can take my time building it out while enjoying my running truck.

Thoughts?

I'm planning to build an Orion TC this winter and slap it under my 1980 '40. Haven't done this before, so it may take me a while and I'd like to leave my truck drivable while I work through it. Do any of our venerable vendors already provide, or would be interested in putting together, a "donor kit" that contains all the bits off the stock TC that can be used to build a complete TC (probably with the exception of the E brake)? That way, I end up with two complete TCs rather than one (Orion) TC and pile of parts and I can take my time building it out while enjoying my running truck.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking your best bet is to buy a used 4spd 16 spline t-case (craigslist, here on MUD, facebook marketplace, etc. I've seen many for sale over the years), clean it up and tear it down. Probably be cheaper than buying a pile of used parts, or even an entire t-case from a vendor.

Yeah... that makes sense, and is what I was planning to do until the "donor kit" elbowed its way into my feeble brain! Need to do the 4 speed too, sooo....

Yeah... that makes sense, and is what I was planning to do until the "donor kit" elbowed its way into my feeble brain! Need to do the 4 speed too, sooo....
I would also get a quote from Valley Hybrids/Cruiser brothers for a turn key Orion, sometimes it's best to just hit the easy button. They can also rebuild the trans if you think it needs it.

If I wasn't trying to learn how the truck works (and how to fix it), I would definitely push the easy button. Appreciate the pointer though!

I swapped in another xfer case I had laying around so I could drive it while I dealt with the orion. Maybe you can borrow one or rent one?

From what I understand... getting the T/TC out and back in is a real PITA, so trying to do that only once. Will keep looking for the best deal on a 4spd/TC to rebuild. If I end up selling the one that is currently on the truck, it will be a little like renting... or "core charge".

The only part of the tcase removal that is hard is when the input gear is stuck on shaft, if it happens to you slowly work the input gear back through the tough spot as you slowly, like an 1/8 inch at a time , work the case back following it. The bearing at the back can be a bear if it is stuck on the shaft, this case may require a puller some say but I have always been able to slowly, methodically work the case back, gear back, case back, gear back and so on until it frees up. You have to leave a spacer between the case and tranny when prying/working the input gear back, keep increasing the size of the spacer as you work the case back. I use door shims until it gets large enough to use a screwdriver/chisel/pry bar, whatever you can get to stay in there and keep the case from pushing forward.

OK, thanks for that... I was thinking I would be taking the Trans and TC out together. This is assuming a) I'm rebuilding the trans (or swapping in a rebuilt trans) and b) taking a stab at re-sealing my engine, which is leaking out the back. Honestly, I have no idea if the trans really NEEDS rebuilding, but in the interest of getting the truck to a point where I am confident going to remote locations, it needs to be gone through. I'm super grateful for this forum!

Well depending on the year of your 40, I have been told by some that they couldn't separate the tcase and had to pull tranny, some prefer to pull together, my 70 with ls motor, sm420 trans & orion I have room to remove tcase in vehicle.

Yes, for a stock 1980, my understanding is that they need to be pulled together and getting them back in can be a challenge. Tilt the motor down, use a tranny jack and a clutch locator tool are my three main take-aways from the threads I've read.

Just my two cents- the Tcase build is doable in a weekend with the right tools. Outside of the input gear @peesalot mentioned( mine wasn’t that bad), it is just slow for us mere mortals. It’s doable though. I had a press on hand to get bearings in. The AA instructions were good and I supplemented them with a Tcase build here on ‘Mud. Lay everything out for the Orion and freeze the bearings that need to shrink and heat the ones that need to expand. Tedious, but not brain science.
Now that being said, the Orion has an issue that does seem to effect a fair amount of us- not holding low gear. There are some theories in the O R I O N sticky , but I’m no positive the answer. I’ll be tearing mine down this winter. This would be the reason I’d have someone like @orangefj45 build it. I looked into it, but it wasn’t in my price range. Now I’m pulling it apart again.
All that being said, I love knowing it’s down there. The beefier case behind my LS gives me confidence in using the skinny petal. Not to mention the control of 4:1 in conjunction with the low gear in the sm465. Just need to figure out how to get to stay in gear.

We build lots of Orion’s and put “donor kits” together for them, utilizing the “strongest” versions of the components.
That includes:
Main shaft, HNL slider, coupler and front output shaft; all fine spline.
Matching front output flange.
Those components are all new and made in Japan by the OEM manufacturer.
We also include our dual-seal rear extension housing, complete Speedo gear set, late model “ribbed” front extension houding, all new socket head cap screw hardware, good used retainers, snap rings, spacers, ……
You get the picture.
And yes, we can put these kits together for you as well as supply the Orion kit itself along with twin-stick kits, adapters and plenty of other goodies.
And we typically install one of our HD nose-cone saver kits.
Happy to help.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

4C473D55-3D7A-4206-AFAF-9437B9B15AC8.jpeg

Just my two cents- the Tcase build is doable in a weekend with the right tools. Outside of the input gear @peesalot mentioned( mine wasn’t that bad), it is just slow for us mere mortals. It’s doable though. I had a press on hand to get bearings in. The AA instructions were good and I supplemented them with a Tcase build here on ‘Mud. Lay everything out for the Orion and freeze the bearings that need to shrink and heat the ones that need to expand. Tedious, but not brain science.
Now that being said, the Orion has an issue that does seem to effect a fair amount of us- not holding low gear. There are some theories in the O R I O N sticky , but I’m no positive the answer. I’ll be tearing mine down this winter. This would be the reason I’d have someone like @orangefj45 build it. I looked into it, but it wasn’t in my price range. Now I’m pulling it apart again.
All that being said, I love knowing it’s down there. The beefier case behind my LS gives me confidence in using the skinny petal. Not to mention the control of 4:1 in conjunction with the low gear in the sm465. Just need to figure out how to get to stay in gear.
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that thread about popping out of gear, but haven't seen a root cause yet either. Definitely makes the case for having it built by and expert with mostly new components.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that thread about popping out of gear, but haven't seen a root cause yet either. Definitely makes the case for having it built by and expert with mostly new components.
Might want to add doing a thorough inspection of the case and the shift fork the day it comes out of the box.

I would assume that inspecting every donor component would be standard operating procedure for one of these builds... but knowing what to look for as a noob might be an interesting exercise in gathering specifications.

I would assume that inspecting every donor component would be standard operating procedure for one of these builds... but knowing what to look for as a noob might be an interesting exercise in gathering specifications.
Not the donor inputs and outputs but the orion case. Look over the ORION thread and see the pictures of the two cases that were sent out that should of been boat anchors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom