original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
should i keep it all stock and original or should i have some fun and build a multi-purpose toy. its a 1978 land cruiser with an inline 6... any suggestions?

Oh god, this can of worms. You'll get a ton of people on both sides of the fence as this is a pretty common debate. Personally I think stock is rather boring since it's easy to do and you leave a lot on the table. I say have fun with it and improve as needed.

make it in a way so that YOU will enjoy it most everyday so much there won't be a day you wont drive it.

Sorry if its vague but so is the question

Just read your other post...fix what you can for now, and make sure the brakes and steering are taken care of, make it safe, save some money and get some sheet metal, (whether from an FJ40 parts producer or formed by your own hands), fix those panels that need fixing, and get out and enjoy it. Once you've driven it around a while, you can better decide what you want to do.

Oh...and to answer your original question...I prefer stock :beer:

You'll have an experience either way you go that's for sure.

Give this truck a view. Although it's not 100% stock, it's pretty near and only a year off from yours.

I restored a 68 and loved every bit of the experience. I learned a lot about these trucks in the process on how things were supposed to work as designed.

Read, look at the trucks posted here, build threads, daily driver thread...

I like stock. Resale value is good and predictable. With a lot of mods not so much. But then again, the decision is yours. Break out your wallet you're gonna need it.

There are ways to go somewhere in the middle - not ALL one way or the other. For instance, there are lots of bolt on mods you can do. Save the stock pieces should you ever decide to go back to that. Lots of things are "reversible." 'Course, once you start chopping body panels and stretching the frame, etc, you've gone too far to ever go back.....

I think stock is rather boring since it's easy to do and you leave a lot on the table. I say have fun with it and improve as needed.

I would have have to disagree with you. Having gone full circle from stock to building and driving killer trail rigs to competition rock buggies to a full on restoration, I can tell you that the most challenging and rewarding build in my opinion is a restoration. Also, I have discovered you can have just as much fun getting a stock rig with just a rear locker and 31's up a difficult trail to a cool destination as you can driving the toughest rock trails in a full on buggy. JMO

I vote for stock, but that depends on the condition, the time you have, the budget you have, the ratio of time you wish to spend working on it or driving it etc. Do what You Like.

I would have have to disagree with you. Having gone full circle from stock to building and driving killer trail rigs to competition rock buggies to a full on restoration, I can tell you that the most challenging and rewarding build in my opinion is a restoration. Also, I have discovered you can have just as much fun getting a stock rig with just a rear locker and 31's up a difficult trail to a cool destination as you can driving the toughest rock trails in a full on buggy. JMO

Oh I agree driving stock-ish rigs offroad can be fun (my '63 is open on 31's with almost everything stock save axles from a '73) however I meant it as a personal preference in building a vehicle. I've done everything between a correct restoration to a wild 1400+ HP '70 Chevelle SS (currently in progress) meant for super car hunting and on the restoration I felt limited in what I could do as I have the means to make almost anyting I want in house or at the most within a 10 minute drive.

I respect and understand why someone would do a stock restoration on any vintage automobile, it's just not something I would do again after my first restoration. As long as you have fun there's no wrong way to do it.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom