Original Spare Tire Carrier FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

88Retired62

TLCA #8993
SILVER Star
Threads
Will a 33 x 12.50 x 15 tire mounted on a Mickey Thompson 15 x 10 wheel fit the frame mounted original spare carrier beneath the vehicle? Will it fit between the frame rails?

Will a 33 x 12.50 x 15 tire mounted on a Mickey Thompson 15 x 10 wheel fit the frame mounted original spare carrier beneath the vehicle? Will it fit between the frame rails?
I have BFG 33X10.5X15 KM2 in there, no problem. I'd be concerned with the width of the tire extending too far down for reasonable clearance. My 10.5 is tucked in just above the shackles so I don't think I'm losing any exit angle clearance. Not sure a 12.5 would be the same...

depending on where the exhaust is run, it may need to be modified.

Just curious. Are you restoring your cruiser?
If not, why would you want to put the tire back under there?

Just putting Her on a diet and lightening Her load in retirement. Bought Her new back in ‘88 as a daily driver and loaded Her down with rear KayMars, swingout can and spare tire carriers, ARB front bumper with side rails and Warn 9000. Just taking Her back to a sleeker more traditional Estate Wagon stance. She’s in beautiful shape and well taken care of with an abundance of sentimental value over the past 30 years. It’s amazing how nimbal she’s become in City traffic after the elimination of 400 lbs. of Her offroad armored core. I’d probably be flying by the seat of my pants if I eliminated the weight from a dual battery system and 33x12.50’s but there’s a lot to be appreciated from the stance of a stock runner with a moderately lifted body and an aggressive foot print. Shes long overdue but well positioned for a 4.88 face lift. Now, where to put the spare tire to avoid the look of a possible soon to be hernia?

I have a similar question for my 87 FJ60. Many thread commentators claim that 33s and even 35s will easily fit in the stock underbody location. I want to put a 33 inch tire under there but currently the 31 inch sitting there has barely half an inch of clearance in the rear - it's right next to the trailer hitch crossbar - I'm not sure if that is stock or not, so maybe a PO added the hitch mount? Or since the tire is on a chain can it swing forward a bit before tightening up to accommodate bigger tires? I guess I will just give it a go and see if I can get it under there....
File_000.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom