Original or new? Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I acquired a set of 16” rims and new tires and was fired up by the new ride and options opened up by the 16’s. Nice guy gave me a great deal.

But….now I’m mourning the look of the originals…. Thoughts on getting new rims powder coated the correct color and having hub cap clips tacked on? Experience?

04414D22-3406-4E11-BC5D-721D4464AD42.jpeg

7D64B60A-1BC0-4BEC-989D-2B9D7190F340.jpeg

If you want 16" and stock look, go here, I know I will.

Those are great options but spendy.

Any tips/success with tacking on hubcap clips?

@WarDamnEagle how skinny did you go? Mine are 9.5” and stay inside the wells. Still turns well enough….

Those are great options but spendy.

Any tips/success with tacking on hubcap clips?

@WarDamnEagle how skinny did you go? Mine are 9.5” and stay inside the wells. Still turns well enough….
Must be the camera angle as yours look wider than 9.5". My FZJ75 and FJ45 Troopy both have 7.50 R16 tires. Relatively skinny. Click on either link and you can see from the first photo or two.

I wouldn't tack them on. I have seen where they have been screwed into place with success. I assume they were drilled, tapped and screwed but not positive.

Your truck looks nice. Since you asked for opinions...My first choice is your original rims with an appropriate tire for your suspension, typically in 9.5 or 10.5 width. Powdercoat them or paint if you don't like the patina. Side note, I personally prefer OEM wheel with no hubcaps, since they are a PITA to take on and off. That being said...your new rims look pretty good just as they are. I wouldn't waste the time, money or effort to try and tack on clips to those. Just run them as they are!

Your truck looks nice. Since you asked for opinions...My first choice is your original rims with an appropriate tire for your suspension, typically in 9.5 or 10.5 width. Powdercoat them or paint if you don't like the patina. Side note, I personally prefer OEM wheel with no hubcaps, since they are a PITA to take on and off. That being said...your new rims look pretty good just as they are. I wouldn't waste the time, money or effort to try and tack on clips to those. Just run them as they are!
What @AntFarm said. Love the original look. They drive the best that way as well for those SLOW sections of pavement, ha ha! Let us know what you end up doing.

You truck looks awesome with the stock rims and caps. To me, it’s what sets our land cruisers apart from all the
Jeeps out there.
Love the color. Care to share the code?

Leave’em both just the way they are. I don’t see anything wrong with having multiple sets of tires and wheels for your rigs.

My wife does not share my opinion on this, especially since the ones not on my rigs are all stored next to our bedroom!😛

Both options look nice IMO. I powder coated my original 15s and like the stock look - but to each their own.
Nice looking 40. Love the color.

My wife is less than thrilled with the idea of a second set! I’m going to powder coat the new rims and see if I like it more. I’m loving the ride and missing the look. In the big picture it’s a small problem to have…

paint is LR marine blue. My best shot at Cadet Blue.

My wife is less than thrilled with the idea of a second set! I’m going to powder coat the new rims and see if I like it more. I’m loving the ride and missing the look. In the big picture it’s a small problem to have…

paint is LR marine blue. My best shot at Cadet Blue.
If you’re still unsure if you’re going to keep the new rims I wouldn’t recommend Powdercoating them. Their satin black color causes those ugly holes to disappear and not really be noticed. If you make them a lighter color (like pewter grey for example) the holes will stick out and be super noticeable. If you’re in love with the original look, use your money to powder coat the originals! better yet, just run the originals with their patina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom