Original OEM shock lifespan?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I picked up an '04 almost a year ago with standard suspension (non-AHC). It's got 115k on what looks to be a grocery getter / mall cruiser only in it's previous life.

What's the lifespan on the stock stocks on these? Normal ride is fine but it gets a little sloppy with sudden turns or braking. I have no basis for comparison for what is normal or not since it's not a sportscar and I would expect a heavy beast to do that with sudden manuevers.

Are the stock shocks 60k items, 100k items, or longer items typically?

Thanks,
Chris

Based on the weight of the vehicle, I would think 100k at the most.

Unless leaking their good.

That said I have stock, wishing they would leak just so I'd be forced to replace with a better riding shock. But until then no need for my DD.

My experience is that OEM Toyota shocks on an unmodified vehicle last just about forever. Unless they rust out of the seals leak they seem to have zero problems. Wish I could say the same for OME and Bilsteins.

I don't have any empirical data on the Toyota OE shocks specifically, however 60k is considered the lifetime for most OE shocks/struts. My 2000 had KYBs installed at some point before 76k and they lasted only two seasons of off road use (were replaced at 96k). Just because they're not leaking doesn't mean they're not worn. Worn shocks not only affect ride but also performance. Emergency braking distances will be longer and handling limits are reduced, although again I have no data to support whether this is a minor or major effect on our heavy trucks.

On all the cruiser I have owned, I've replaced the OE shocks with OE and always noticed a significant difference. My 100 got new shocks at 90k mi and I noticed a difference. Still, it isn't like adding an OME kit. Eventually, I always end up with an OME kit.

Shocks are not a lifetime item. No way.

OE shocks might last 'forever' in terms of no leaking etc, but they certainly lose their effectiveness vs new OEM shocks. Anything over 100K miles is a good time for fresh shocks. For general highway driving with stock suspension its hard to beat fresh OEM shocks all round for around $130 in parts cost. The DIY replacement of all four takes little time and no special tools aside from a 22mm ratchet wrench. You'll be surprised how much better it handles with fresh shocks. I certainly was.

I just replaced OEM with OEM at 100,000 miles on my '04 and found a definite improvement in ride, handling, and control. The originals were not leaking.

No doubt shocks weaken with age even our Toyota factory shocks. Ride of new shocks testimonial an ultimate judge.

That said:Field test is and has always been: inspect for bonce recovery and leak, this is standard PM inspection.

That said:Field test is and has always been: inspect for bonce recovery and leak, this is standard PM inspection.

That's right, but the 'bounce' test is unlikely to show anything short of complete failure and does not test typical high speed damping at all. Shock degradation is a frog-boiling problem. It happens incrementally over a long period of time. Its safe to assume that shock are shot after around 100K miles of service. Replacing with new makes this obvious. New shocks were the best $130 I ever spent in terms of bang for the buck.

Then my OEM Toyota shocks have been 'shot' for at least 200k. The vehicle still feels solid to me, as solid as any of my other trucks even with relatively new OEM shocks (4Runner and 60).

I had nothing but trouble with both OME and Bilsteins on my Land Rover. Leaks, breaks, etc. After 3 sets of OMEs I finally got 4 solid ones that lasted more than 20k.

Just my observation. As always, your mileage may vary.

Most of my miles have been pretty easy miles, and been keep clean top to bottom. Even with such lite duty & friendlier climate, rubber ages. I'm sure new ball joint, bushing throughout suspension system along with a few other parts and new shock at the top of the list would freshen up the ride considerably.

But if I took my 2001 LC to any reputable shop from Slee to the multiple Toyota Dealers in the area. Asked them to inspect the suspension system thoroughly. I would/should get same answer form all: Nothing needs replacing and it is safe to drive. If I then said: it doesn't ride like it once did. They may say: Although it's very clean It's not new, and is not going to ride like new. If I push they'll say; sure if you want to throw $,$$$.$$ at us we can make ride close to new.

To OP question: Original OEM shock lifespan?? Longer than most vehicle on the road, in most any driving condition or climate.

So, sure replacement if you want but with what?

I've got an 04 and at 80k my stock shots were pretty much done. I didn't notice any ride difference until the front tires started to cup.

I would say 115k is certainly past the lifetime of the shocks, if they are the originals. It could even be near time to change them if they are the 2nd pair.

I assume that my car still has the originals at 241k kms.

Had 275,000km on original shocks, bought the cruiser at 260,000km. It had terrible handling, lots of over and under steer. Replaced with new 2" lift shocks and fresh sway bar bushes and it corners like its on rails now.

Had 275,000km on original shocks, bought the cruiser at 260,000km. It had terrible handling, lots of over and under steer. Replaced with new 2" lift shocks and fresh sway bar bushes and it corners like its on rails now.

Sounds like mine. But I have done he front swaybar bushes, but not the shocks, springs.
But I have the AHC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom