Original Equipment (OE) Tires for the FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Does anyone know what brand/size tires Toyota selected as original equipment on the FJ60?

The spare on my 1986 FJ60 has a Bridgstone Desert Dueler HR78-15. Wondering if it was possibly one of the original tires on the truck? Appears to have the inspectors white paint dot.

bridgstone desert dueler (2).jpg

If there is a date code on the tire you can use that info.

Not sure I would use a spare that is over 10 years old if it shows signs of dry rot other than to crawl to service station.

Hi,

Does anyone know what brand/size tires Toyota selected as original equipment on the FJ60?

The spare on my 1986 FJ60 has a Bridgstone Desert Dueler HR78-15. Wondering if it was possibly one of the original tires on the truck? Appears to have the inspectors white paint dot.

View attachment 2606929

the dots are from the tire manufacturer and relate to balancing.

If there is a date code on the tire you can use that info.

Not sure I would use a spare that is over 10 years old if it shows signs of dry rot other than to crawl to service station.
I'm not using the spare. i was showing him the tire that came with the truck so he can reference what original tire Toyota used.

Yeah, didn't think to check the date code on the Bridgstone tire. I'll do that. Thanks!

My FJ60 was built in May of 1986. The date code on the spare Bridgestone Desert Dueler HR78-15 tire is DOT EJVY JPA146. I understand tire date codes prior to 2000 used only three digits so this tire could be either from the 14th week of 1986 or 1996. If it is 1986 that would put in the right range to be an OE tire.

This one definitly shows signs of dry rot and cracking and not a tire to be driving on.

I wonder, did the Toyota window sticker back in the 1980's list the OE tire?

My 1988 pickup had Desert Duelers 225/75r15 so I would guess '88 Cruisers had those too. My original spare is still under the bed.

My ‘84 BJ60 came new from the dealer (Downtown Toyota, Vancouver BC) with Dunlop H78-15 Snows. They lasted less than a year, have been running 235/75-15 michelins ever since. Still have the original (unused) Dunlop spare in storage!

Yup, those’d be them! 😎👍👍

Still has the paint stripes on the tread blocks!

94FF3078-E34D-492D-8893-5CC61E3A3247.jpeg

A37477C1-D748-4AF6-A02A-71A1B2B71541.jpeg

Ya think "Cruiser" in the name may have influenced Toyota's decision to pick this tire for their Land Cruiser?

This place is great. Thanks for the sharing all the old tire pics!

Well, maybe... but the tires are stamped “Made in Japan” too.

this is so interesting! any idea if the same tires would be available today from Dunlop? (sorry if thats a stupid question :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom