Origin of the term "Birfield?" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here in Oz if you say 'birf' people think you're an idiot. :cool: Similar with using 'zerk' to describe a grease nipple. It's funny how eponymous names for things entrench themselves in particular cultures but in others they just come across as odd.

Here in Oz if you say 'birf' people think you're an idiot. :cool: Similar with using 'zerk' to describe a grease nipple. It's funny how eponymous names for things entrench themselves in particular cultures but in others they just come across as odd.
Lol, i was just thinking about that. Also, how idiots say them wrong and swear they’re right. Then i show them the googles!!!!! I shut down an old uptight redneck(not a racist slur, im a redneck) with metric tire sizes. He kept saying 50 series tire on a 10” wide rim. I told him the 50 was the sidewall, the first number is tread width. 295/50-15 in this case. He about punched me in the mouth for saying he was wrong, so i showed him. It was like his entire childhood was a lie. Pretty funny.

Aren't you all lucky that we do *not* use metric sizes for tyres. :cool: Back in the 1970's and 80's there were metric tyres (TRX, etc.) which did not use the J-type design standard for fitment. Funny thing is that we get tyres here sized partly metric and partly imperial (ie. 285/75r16). Is there any logic to that? No. But it creates a whole self-serving segment of industry which is big-business.

Aren't you all lucky that we do *not* use metric sizes for tyres. :cool: Back in the 1970's and 80's there were metric tyres (TRX, etc.) which did not use the J-type design standard for fitment. Funny thing is that we get tyres here sized partly metric and partly imperial (ie. 285/75r16). Is there any logic to that? No. But it creates a whole self-serving segment of industry which is big-business.
If you can figure out what to do with used tires, you would be among the richest people in the world within five years.

Birfield NTN. Oct 1975 born on date.
20181019_193901.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom