Oregon "Outback" road trip photos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay folks I'm trying to put some photos out there of a trip a buddy and I made in my 84 fj60. I'm useing Picture Trail to get them out there (I think?).

I took this trip in Oct 05. I'm the grey bearded long hair in the photos, Dan is not.

The fj is a stock 84 (dec 83) the tires are 33x9.5/15s. "Buck has 95k miles on him. It has Bilstein shocks and pretty sacked rear springs. Nothing ever rubs even loaded down like it is for this trip.

the trip was to way down southeastern Oregon, leaving from Bend, Or in central part of state. Went to Hart Mt. Antelope Refuge and Steens Mt. national monument.

It's wide open country, I do not go where there are no roads. Even then I usually just fire road, not really looking to bang up the rig. When the going gets rough, I walk.

I'll add a few pictures of the Hot Springs in the area and a shot of my new Tuffy I installed right before I left for this trip. Hope this works...Pls to to:

www.picturetrail.com/Deserthigh

I ment to fill you in on the gas pump photos. I was down there in Plush, Or last Oct dooing this same trip. I got fuel on the way out, I took my gas cap off and put it on the pump, (in Oregon you can not pump your own gas, the attendant has to do it, just like NJ..go figure?) anyway the guy did not put my cap back on the rig. I did not know till I got to Bend and went to fill up; had to buy a new one. So this year I go back to the same station, (only comercial building in Plush, Or) it's 51 weeks later..And I'm not bullshitting you here, the damn gas cap was still on the pump! The new owner of the store said it was there when he bought the store in June of 05 and he left it there...I just could not believe it was there! I had already told Dan we where going to try to get the cap in case they saved it from last year..he could not believe it either. Try that in any town with a population over 30 or so...

HD

Nice rig Jon. I didn't realize that part of Oregon looks like Colorado in some places. Very beautiful.

awesome looking truck and cools pics as well.

Nice pictures. Always nice to see people's trip photos. That doesn't look like the part of Oregon I know.

Great pics Jon. Gotta love the gas pump story. Nothing like small town America to put a smile on your face. Looks like you guys had a great trip. Now I'm wishing we had gone inland some more this summer when we passed through Oregon on our way to Cali from Canada.

Nice photos/trip.
I used to leave the gas cap on gas pumps 'till I tied a nylon string to it...now it never(read: cannot) be left behind.

Oregon East of the Cascades

NocalFJ60 said:
Nice pictures. Always nice to see people's trip photos. That doesn't look like the part of Oregon I know.

Yeah Oregon is like two thirds high Desert. Once you get east of the Cascade mts you are in desert or dryer high alpine systems. The Steens are only about 80 miles north of the Nevada line. There are wet lands (from snow in the high country filtering down to the vallies) and it is a bird migratory route through there. Great trout fishing too.

I thought the whole state of Oregon was like Olympia Nat Park in Washington before I moved up here, very pleased to find the desert side.

Check out: www.oohva.org

for some great information of "adventure trails" in Oregon.

JON

Mmm Steens. That's one of my favorite parts of Oregon. Kind of a haul to get out there, but very much worth it.

HD- I like the shot of your 60 on that high field.

Here's a few shots from our Labor Day trip.

East Rim overlook-
0013.jpg

Wild Horse Lake-
0014.jpg

Looking up the mountain from South Loop Rd.-
0015.jpg

Playing on the Alvord Desert-
0017.jpg

That is one NICE 60.

That's kinda funny cuz I just lost my gas cap probably the same way. I haven't found it yet...

nice photos Ken, yeah I go down at least once a year. Great area lots of "stuff" to see and do.

Have you cut over to Hart Mt? Nice hot spring in campground, nice roads to tool around on too,

Yep, but I've only been around Hart a couple times. Went to the hot springs CG and Petroglyph Lake then onto Plush.

I never give myself enough time out there.

I definately love the tan 60. Very sharp.

Also looks like it was an amazing trip. Good game!

What is the tire/suspension setup on your 60?

:beer:

Thanks et all.

The tires are BFG 33x9.5/15 MT stock rims. Stock gearing and suspension except for Bilstein shocks.

From advice off this board I run 38# air in the 33s which helps with the body roll, (did not get roll near as bad with the 235 tires) It's the high side wall on the "pizza cutters" that makes it roll in tight truns at speed (is 50-55mph speed?)Gonna go Dakkar soon.

Never had them rub according to GPS the rubber overdrive = at 55 on speedo I am actually doing about 62 or so. Notice a little strain to get them rolling on the hill starts but have decided to buy new 33s when the time comes. They look great on the stock suspension..me thinks

The cool deal with the MT is that on those long dirt roads, the tires do not pick up gravel and chunk it round in the wheel wells. My Duelers did sling gravel and was way noisy to drive..no big deal but nice when it don't.

by-the-way I got a true average of 15 miles per gallon on this trip cause of the long haul parts of the trip. That's taking into account aprox. 1/10 mile additional distance per mile shown on the odom. because of the 33s.
JON

Alvord Desert

The Steens Mtn Range is beautiful in the spring time. If you ever get over towards the east (Alvord Desert) in the spring stop by Mann Lake excellent cutthroat fishing, but beware I have seen tents that started on the west side of the lake end up either in the middle of the lake or on the east side.. I mean nasty wind coming off the east side of the Steens mtn range. Stop by the Alvord hot spring, clothing optional hot spring.

Last edited:
Their all clothing optional and I opt to get nekked. The last time i was at Alvord It was Chucker season, there was a line of hunters waiting in their bathing suits to get in..I drove on over to Whitehorse and had the spring to myself. Mann lake is neat and yeah The only time I went was in the fall, too windy for my 6 weight and limited skills...

There is so much country down there I'll never see it all..Hell I've already seen enough that I want to go back to again to last a decade.
Jordan Valley, Or is another spot I gotta get to... and have you seen the wilderness roads going from Idaho into Montana? One starts in Elk City Idaho and goes east on a high ridge network into Montana saw it on a lutdoor show on PBS one night..gotta get that long range tank..

You can find any of the Oregon Field Guides (or any other state's Field Guide programs) here, including transcripts and video. We've used it many times to plan trips and explore. If this is the program you mentioned for the Idaho road, you can view that program online.

http://www.pbs.org/americanfieldguide/

I've wanted to check out Mickey Hot Springs, just down the way from Mann Lake off to the east.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom