????????ordering some joints????????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
U-Joints, that is:p.
What up again fellow H8ers. My 91 is running good. Straight and true at 70mph through 85mph when the 405 is clear. My concern is the deep low, but faint humming sound coming from what I believe is the drive shaft after I hit speeds of about 60mph. I've had the opportunity to read several u-joint threads and I am wondering if this might be the source of the sound. My 91 is stock with 173K on the meter. What has been your experience with the low humming sound? Was it the U-Joints? Another question. How do I get a hold of CDan if i want to order some joints? What is a reasonable price for having the work done? Thanks so much.
Al

Is this a new-to-you truck, or do you have some experience with it? Is the sound new? If so, u-joints are certainly a possibility, or it could be tires (low pressure, wear, etc) or a bearing somewhere in the driveline. Check your fluids (diffs, t-case). Does the sound change depending on throttle position? U-joints often show themselves on deceleration.

CDan is a vendor working for American Toyota, look in the vendor's section if you don't see the American Toyota ad banner on the site.

Before throwing parts at things I would pull the shaft and lock the CDL and drive it. Then do the rear if you still have it. Start by the process of elimination. Joints are gonna cost you over $100 for OEM, however they are worth the money. The shaft is fairly straight foward. Also look into your spindle bushings being dry. I went through all of the drive shaft pulling fun to narrow down my vibes before going to a DC shaft. However I have a lift.

Thanks guys. I have sent CDan some info and maybe he'll be able to give me some advice and some new joints as well. Maybe I can have my local shop install them as well. What do you guys think as far a price for having the joints replaced? I would not mind doing them myself except that some of the threads read that they can be gnarly to take off.
Al

Going to do mine as well. (93 HDJ81)

1. Are the u-joints in the 80 the same as the ones for say a 60?
2. Anyone have a part number? OEM and/or aftermarket? CDan doesn't ship to Canada currently, so...

YO H8ERS!!!!!!!!!! I was worrying that I would have to dish out some more $$$$$$$$$ for joints. I had all my fluids changed and master mechanic at South Coast Toyota said that the humming went away. He also said that the fluid in the front axle was the wrong one. Drove it home and ......SOLID!!!!!!!!!!...noise is not there. Now if i can get rid of another rattle coming from who knows where, then I'll be happy.

I do not see how he would know that the fluid in the front axle was the wrong type?
Did he grease the front and read drive shafts while he had it?
I think he is BSing you and that if you had a vibe before it will probably come back eventually.:meh:

Kidglove. Not cool. I hope it doesn't come back. C'mon. Master mechanic. He knows what's up, no? I'm under the assumption that the stuff that was in there was not the correct diff. fluid. Don't you think? H8ers??????? What do you have to say????????????????

Dont worry about it. Just drive your rig and enjoy it.
If it pops up again then deal with it then.
Dont over think it and enjoy your cruiser:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom