order of assembly after/before paint (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting really close to painting. The truck is 100% stripped down. Doors/ hinges are off. Entire front clip is also off. Hood, fenders. This should make getting a good paint job possible. Door jams and entire door will be painted.

• Do I have the painter paint everything off the truck and then I do assembly and gap alignment after?
  • Do I assembly front fenders now and just have the painter spray outside?
  • Do I put the door back on and try to line everything up now?
I have done door and hood alignments before and it’s a lot of fun for sure but I’m trying to think thru the pros and cons of what path to take. I have never done this to a 70 series before so… wondering if anybody who has done a full-on paint job disassembly can chime in with lesson learnt?

Thank you in advance for sharing wisdom, I’m always willing to learn

Not sure if these would be of any help and you've probably seen them before, but they might be able to give you some ideas on how you want to reassemble yours:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yb1hWF2cC0o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m getting really close to painting. The truck is 100% stripped down. Doors/ hinges are off. Entire front clip is also off. Hood, fenders. This should make getting a good paint job possible. Door jams and entire door will be painted.

• Do I have the painter paint everything off the truck and then I do assembly and gap alignment after?
  • Do I assembly front fenders now and just have the painter spray outside?
  • Do I put the door back on and try to line everything up now?
I have done door and hood alignments before and it’s a lot of fun for sure but I’m trying to think thru the pros and cons of what path to take. I have never done this to a 70 series before so… wondering if anybody who has done a full-on paint job disassembly can chime in with lesson learnt?

Thank you in advance for sharing wisdom, I’m always willing to learn
I think this comes down to personal preference, and your level of comfort. And perhaps, if you have helping hands.

Caveat - I have also not re-assembled a Land Cruiser... hence my delay with a response.

But as far as vehicles go, assembly does not get much easier than a Land Cruiser. Personally, I think it would be better if the shop could paint the parts individually. The downside would be how confident you are to re-assemble without damaging anything? Many hands could help mitigate risk. Would the painter be willing to lend you his shop and bodywork tools to install doors and such?

Sorry if this is not definitive. But it really comes down to personal choice, and your level of patience and comfort working with the perfected parts. Based on your work above so far, you will likely nail it whichever you choose. :cheers:

I think this comes down to personal preference, and your level of comfort. And perhaps, if you have helping hands.

Caveat - I have also not re-assembled a Land Cruiser... hence my delay with a response.

But as far as vehicles go, assembly does not get much easier than a Land Cruiser. Personally, I think it would be better if the shop could paint the parts individually. The downside would be how confident you are to re-assemble without damaging anything? Many hands could help mitigate risk. Would the painter be willing to lend you his shop and bodywork tools to install doors and such?

Sorry if this is not definitive. But it really comes down to personal choice, and your level of patience and comfort working with the perfected parts. Based on your work above so far, you will likely nail it whichever you choose. :cheers:

I met with a couple different guys and finally found one I liked. so far I have been quoted 14K-6K so it's a wide range. You can go crazy on paint but I'm looking for a decent quality that looks like factory. I don't need super high end show car paint with fancy 3x depths of metallics and 3d holograms.

I'm going to have him paint everything and I will do the assembly. it's just for some vehicles the door alignment and gaps need to be hammered into place caveman style. it's just how they do it. Painting everything off the truck will be the easiest and usually my experience has shown me if it's the easiest way then it's usually the best results. Caveat emptor

I'm sure I will put some new scratches into new paint but I guess that is just part of the challenge we all love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom