ORC Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to brag on these. Local (to me) in North Alabama. The place is called Off Road Centers. I didn't get them with cat protection because I'm not really bashing mine against rocks. (cat protection is an option if you want it.) I wanted a set of sliders that would protect the rocker panels on overlanding trips and also serve as a way for my kids to be able to climb in the back seat on their own. I got them coated in bedliner, I still have another coat to go before it's finished. There's a few drips and clumped areas to sand before i do the next coat. I was just too excited not to go ahead and show off the sliders (plus its raining today so I can't do much until it clears up.)

Anyway, they were $350 installed (welded to the frame). I couldn't believe the price, and I couldn't be happier with the product. Any questions, just ask.

Snapseed (2).jpg

Snapseed (1).jpg

Snapseed (3).jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Pics of the area where it welds to the frame? The welds I can see look pretty lousy. Also whats with the weird tube on top of the rectangular tube?

Pics of the area where it welds to the frame? The welds I can see look pretty lousy. Also whats with the weird tube on top of the rectangular tube?

It's raining like crazy, I'll get pics of the frame when it dries up.

The guy who owns the shop and built the sliders is Kirk Dabney. He's in the international monster truck hall of fame. He's literally built monster trucks from the ground up. Saying "those welds look lousy," is insane. Especially looking at a picture from 7-8 feet away.

lmao imagine some random guy on the internet telling a guy who's in the hall of fame for building monster trucks that "his welds look lousy" lmaooooooooooo just imagine that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

As for the "weird tubes" I asked for them so they'd curve up & follow the body lines of the 80 the way the ones from Slee do. The actual rock slider portion of these is stouter than those offered by other companies. It's a lot wider so it works as a step and a slider.

Might want to add some cat protection. Cant tell you how many times that area on my sliders has been hit.

As long as it is just what you wanted, I am glad they work for you. I personally think the tube should have been welded to the outside of the 2x6 not the top, since on the top kind of takes the utility of the step away. But They should certainly give you some added protection

It's raining like crazy, I'll get pics of the frame when it dries up.

The guy who owns the shop and built the sliders is Kirk Dabney. He's in the international monster truck hall of fame. He's literally built monster trucks from the ground up. Saying "those welds look lousy," is insane. Especially looking at a picture from 7-8 feet away.

lmao imagine some random guy on the internet telling a guy who's in the hall of fame for building monster trucks that "his welds look lousy" lmaooooooooooo just imagine that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

As for the "weird tubes" I asked for them so they'd curve up & follow the body lines of the 80 the way the ones from Slee do. The actual rock slider portion of these is stouter than those offered by other companies. It's a lot wider so it works as a step and a slider.
"Random guy on the internet" who's been on this forum building s*** for some time and is a pretty decent welder. I agree with him that the welds look pretty lousy. I also think the tube on top design is bizarre, but different strokes I guess.

As long as it is just what you wanted, I am glad they work for you. I personally think the tube should have been welded to the outside of the 2x6 not the top, since on the top kind of takes the utility of the step away. But They should certainly give you some added protection

Last week, my 3 and 5 year old kids couldn't climb in the backseat without my help. Today they can. It's absolutely functional. I'm 6'4" and I didn't need a step anyway. I step right over it. As for cat protection, it's just not something I've ever needed, so why bother. This is my DD and weekend family camping vehicle. When we go out west in the near future, we'll take it in the back country, but I'm not going out of my way to drive over piles of rocks.

As an incompetent hobby welder, even I think those welds look cold. Those aren't critical weld locations, though, so whatever.

I'm not criticizing the guy who owns the shop, but whoever was on MIG that day isn't taking pride in his work.

"Random guy on the internet" who's been on this forum building s*** for some time and is a pretty decent welder. I agree with him that the welds look pretty lousy. I also think the tube on top design is bizarre, but different strokes I guess.

What you guys are calling welds are where the bedliner is caked up from being rolled on too thick on the first coat. The bedliner was outside in my shed when it got down to 5* earlier this winter and the consistency was pretty weird when I applied it. I'm gonna pay for it when I have to sand it down later this week. I can assure you the welds are more than fine.

And sorry, but @nukegoat will remain a "random guy on the internet" compared to a guy who's owned a dedicated off road shop for the last 15 years. Especially when the guy that built these sliders has built monster trucks most people here can only dream of.

I remember now why I hardly ever post on this message board. It's rarely helpful. I got these for $350, built and installed. I thought it would be a hell of an option compared to the $700-$900 range of most other options out there. Slee doesn't even make sliders for 91-94 models anymore. I asked him to build me exactly what he built me. It works, it's functional for what I use it for and it was awesome on the budget. If y'all wanna hate, go ahead, but it's super weird.

Mud is a great site, and it would be helpful if we could keep the positive vibes going here.
Your sliders are unusual, and unusually inexpensive. I'm glad they're working out for you and I hope you continue to use and enjoy them.

I was not being critical, I was simply saying for my needs the flat step of the 2x6 seems like it would be nice. I have the Metaltech sliders and the round tube sticking up kind is kind of a pain. And I agree you don't need cat protection for most people's uses. I mean to be honest the majority of these trucks are not running Rubicon. Like I said earlier I am glad you got exactly what you wanted and hell you can't get much these days for $350 so you did great cost wise!

Last week, my 3 and 5 year old kids couldn't climb in the backseat without my help. Today they can. It's absolutely functional. I'm 6'4" and I didn't need a step anyway. I step right over it. As for cat protection, it's just not something I've ever needed, so why bother. This is my DD and weekend family camping vehicle. When we go out west in the near future, we'll take it in the back country, but I'm not going out of my way to drive over piles of rocks.

What you guys are calling welds are where the bedliner is caked up from being rolled on too thick on the first coat. The bedliner was outside in my shed when it got down to 5* earlier this winter and the consistency was pretty weird when I applied it. I'm gonna pay for it when I have to sand it down later this week. I can assure you the welds are more than fine.

And sorry, but @nukegoat will remain a "random guy on the internet" compared to a guy who's owned a dedicated off road shop for the last 15 years. Especially when the guy that built these sliders has built monster trucks most people here can only dream of.

I remember now why I hardly ever post on this message board. It's rarely helpful. I got these for $350, built and installed. I thought it would be a hell of an option compared to the $700-$900 range of most other options out there. Slee doesn't even make sliders for 91-94 models anymore. I asked him to build me exactly what he built me. It works, it's functional for what I use it for and it was awesome on the budget. If y'all wanna hate, go ahead, but it's super weird.

@nukegoat will remain a "random guy on the internet" compared to a guy who's owned a dedicated off road shop for the last 15 years. Especially when the guy that built these sliders has built monster trucks most people here can only dream of.

random is great please dont come to my house. Thanks.

Maybe the welds that matter are ok. I dunno. I cant really see them that well. The end cap of the 2x6 or whatever looks pretty shoddy. Just saying. Quality is pretty lacking there.

thats the nature of the public forum. opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they all stink. you didn't ask for mine but here it is, I'd prefer a much different style, however, it's not my cruiser. don't let these responses put you off posting, contribute when and what you want to. unless it's something other people don't like, keep that to yourself :barefoot:

I think they look great and that price is amazing. You are right about the 80 forum. You get more negative posts on here then good advice or you get someone just complaining about your post with nothing to contribute. It's annoying but there is some great advice on here if you can get past the majority of the worthless negativity.

I think they look great and that price is amazing. You are right about the 80 forum. You get more negative posts on here then good advice or you get someone just complaining about your post with nothing to contribute. It's annoying but there is some great advice on here if you can get past the majority of the worthless negativity.

Yeah but sometimes theres objective truth. And sometimes the truth just hurts.

For a fair price you have rocker protection albeit an unorthodox design. I think the round tube added to the top of the rectangle tube may hinder their use as a step which you expect to aid ingress and egress.

Tree Fiddy installed? Helluvadeal! How much extra was the cat protection?

I feel for you, but when you post pics of something to 'brag', people are going to evaluate and judge the work. If it looks good they'll compliment it, if not, they'll offer their criticism. Frankly, in those pics those welds look like poo. If you'd have said 'Hey, look what I did with my new welder' you'd have probably gotten some more considerate but still critical comments. You said 'Look what I paid a professional to do for me'. From what I can see, no professional should have let that out of his shop.

If you really believe that the pics don't do the welds justice, post some close-up pics. Maybe sand off some of the goop. Hell, share this thread with the shop owner and let him defend it if he wants.

Personally I couldn't care less how you design your sliders- if you're happy with it they are perfect. That price is insanely cheap, like half of what I'd expect for a great deal on installed sliders. So, two out of three points ain't bad. :D

Come on, dude! The welds are just really ugly. Admit it! haha!!

This is such a classic example of getting what you pay for. I think it's cool that this community expects quality work. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom