craigslist OR: 1992 FJ80 - Looking For opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That seems like a lot of money for a 3fe with a rebuild title. Yes it’s very clean and low mileage, but for that money I’d buy a higher mileage 1fz truck with a clean title. I have no experience with salvage or rebuild titles but I have to assume that title is always going to be a headache.

OK... here is my two cents...

I personally would NEVER buy a "rebuilt titled" vehicle except under three circumstances:

1. It was a CRAZY cheep deal. On this vehicle I would buy it if it were $2000-$3000. This way if it had all kinds of hidden issues or problems, I would still feel OK about it. Rebuilt titled vehicles traditional have a MUCH lower resale value, so if I got it for a crazy deal it would assure I could get my money back if I decided to sell it later.

2. If I knew the entire story with pictures, receipts, etc. If I saw lots of pic of the damage and lots of pic of videos of the repair to make sure it is done correctly. Sometime insurance companies will total a vehicle for the smallest little dent or fender bender, especially on older vehicles. So, this one might have had a door replaced and some rocker panel work. It also may have been T-Boned and had the entire b-pillar, both doors, quarter panel, etc. replaced. I have seen two separate cars cut in half and welded together to make one car. I have also seen a frame from one vehicle swapped to another vehicle. I have also seen titles and VIN plates swapped and stolen vehicles sold as "rebuilt titled". The point is do your homework!! I wouldn't buy it unless you know the ENTIRE story on the vehicle.

3. The last reason I would buy a "rebuilt titled" vehicle is if it were a really good deal and I was planing to make toy out of it or a off-road vehicle. For example if I was going to make a rock crawler or a mudder out of it. Another example is if I had a farm and need a beater truck to haul hay or get around on the farm.

The point is if you plan to make this a daily driver... do some homework, make sure it is legit, make sure it was not wrecked bad and it was fixed correctly, and make sure you are getting a REALLY good deal. This doesn't seem like a REALLY good deal to me.

Again... just my two cents... since you asked :)

MM

That seems like a lot of money for a 3fe with a rebuild title. Yes it’s very clean and low mileage, but for that money I’d buy a higher mileage 1fz truck with a clean title. I have no experience with salvage or rebuild titles but I have to assume that title is always going to be a headache.
Agreed!!

Once a salvage or rebuilt title... always a salvage or rebuilt title.

My experience is that salvage and rebuilt titles usually sell for about half to one third the price of clean titled cars, even if they are fixed the right way.

I bought salvaged trucks in the past, yet on this one the title is not the issue. I bought mine to take camping and play in the mud and I think most people would agree that it’s not mean to be pretty and have shiny paint. I would choose lockers and maintenance over looks and mileage any time.

If it were a normal non builder title I would say this is a good price. The leather looks right but I was unaware of a factory leather option in 92. The salvage title takes at least 25% off value of any car IMHO. IF you can see a pre-repair photo or a pro can point out the repairs and feels good about it then it might be ok. I have not problem with a Salvage title IF I have NO plans to ever sell the truck. IF you plan on putting more money into it then selling after a few years then the salvage issue will cost you so account for that now at purchase. Look very very nice and original. In fact that beige metallic is impossible to match so you can probably tell where it has been painted. Keep in mind that any insurance company would total an old land cruiser for even slight damage due to the expense of parts and labor and rather low vehicle value so a minor side swipe could cause a branded title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom