Options to upgrade amplifier+speakers for 07 LC w/ NAV & DVD Changer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellas,

I have spent the last week going down rabbit holes, so I am hoping someone can shoot me straight- I would like to replace the factory amp with a mid-range 5 channel aftermarket amp and corresponding speakers and sub. How much pain am I in for, and is there a killer thread somewhere in here or other resource that will help me install?

Thanks for your comments!!

Lot of detail in the post 2003 nav delete thread

for the money this is a great buy, small footprint, and great performer

Amazon product ASIN B07NBH1915
this speaker line kicks a$$ for the money. Thank god your dealing with lc 2 way. ..keeps it simple.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check out the nav-delete thread for the first time in several years ha ha. What should I do with the sub? Would prefer to get something that fits in current enclosure but most amps seem to push too much power to the sub channel...

Thanks, I'll check out the nav-delete thread for the first time in several years ha ha. What should I do with the sub? Would prefer to get something that fits in current enclosure but most amps seem to push too much power to the sub channel...
What’s the impedance of the factory sub. Tlc Faq says it’s a 6” sub just can’t remember impedance in order to make recommendation

I ordered the Pioneer DM-9705, an amp I was looking at anyway (they are in short supply it seems) and some amazon basics sound deadener for about 1/3 the price of dynamat. I will look to match up an 8" sub w/ the 9705 and get my tools out and build a cistom enclosure w/ MDF. how hard can it be for a guy who once sawed off a finger in woodshop?

You guys recommend a sound processor from the head unit to the amp? Crutchfield seems to...
I will post some pictures when I put it together.
Thanks for the recommendations!

A DSP can "strip away" all of the built-in equalization that the OEM head unit (may) provide to the amp. I also believe the good ones may set any time delay between all of the "channels" to zero (this affects imaging and soundstage).

They can be very useful when using an OEM headunit, but most modern mid-range and higher aftermarket head units have the time equalization functions built in. and they are very useful when used properly.

A DSP can "strip away" all of the built-in equalization that the OEM head unit (may) provide to the amp. I also believe the good ones may set any time delay between all of the "channels" to zero (this affects imaging and soundstage).

They can be very useful when using an OEM headunit, but most modern mid-range and higher aftermarket head units have the time equalization functions built in. and they are very useful when used properly.
Signal summing is okay. De-equalization is better. This is a really good unit. 5+ channels too

I ordered the Pioneer DM-9705, an amp I was looking at anyway (they are in short supply it seems) and some amazon basics sound deadener for about 1/3 the price of dynamat. I will look to match up an 8" sub w/ the 9705 and get my tools out and build a cistom enclosure w/ MDF. how hard can it be for a guy who once sawed off a finger in woodshop?

You guys recommend a sound processor from the head unit to the amp? Crutchfield seems to...
I will post some pictures when I put it together.
Thanks for the recommendations!
I think @BenCC 3d printed a sub enclosure you may want to look into.

I’m interested in seeing how it turns out for you. I’d love to overhaul my stereo system in my 06

I'll probably order speakers in next day or two, then have to wait a week- going house hunting in Destin, FL all next week. Will try and sneak audio upgrade project in while packing the house over next few months ha ha.

Found some nice speakers at a steep discount today- so far, we have:
Pioneer GM-D9705 5 channel amp
Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO for rear doors
Hertz MLK 1650.3 components for the front

Next up, sub and DSP and should have everything we need.​

Alright, back from Florida where the housing market is outta control and ready to get this upgrade going. For the smart guys out there, what do I need to use an aftermarket amp (Pioneer GM-D9705) with the factory Head unit? Is there a metro harness that makes this easy or do I need to cut the wires and solder RCA cables for the new amp? I have been going through threads on here for a week and my confusion is real. Thanks!

Dsp has high and low level inputs

OK, ordered a simple DSP made for converting factory head units to amps- AudioControl LC7i. This is my gameplay, tell me what I am doing wrong!
1) remove door panels, seats, etc.
2) remove JBL amp and Speakers
3) plug Factory inputs to DSP
4) Run RCA cables from DSP to Pioneer Amp
5) Run new speaker wire to doors
6) Install new door speakers
7) put everything back....
8) enjoy high quality tunes

Should I go ahead and do a "big 3" electrical upgrade or that not necessary for this amp/system?

Many thanks to folks in the iH8mud, and Pucker 5. I am about 75% through the install, the "how to" from Lex&Rex was extremely helpful- here...
DIY Stereo Upgrade for us Stuck with the Stock System - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-stereo-upgrade-for-us-stuck-with-the-stock-system.1115857/

Question for the pro's put there- how did you route new speaker wire from Driver side to passenger? My amp is behind the back seat- I have seen some people do it by going between 2nd and 3rd rows where carpet meets, can you run under driver seat and across or stick with the back?

I'll post some pics when I am done. front 4 speakers sound phenomenal.

Many thanks to folks in the iH8mud, and Pucker 5. I am about 75% through the install, the "how to" from Lex&Rex was extremely helpful- here...
DIY Stereo Upgrade for us Stuck with the Stock System - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-stereo-upgrade-for-us-stuck-with-the-stock-system.1115857/

Question for the pro's put there- how did you route new speaker wire from Driver side to passenger? My amp is behind the back seat- I have seen some people do it by going between 2nd and 3rd rows where carpet meets, can you run under driver seat and across or stick with the back?

I'll post some pics when I am done. front 4 speakers sound phenomenal.
Did you ever finish this project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom