Options for removing and covering - overhead-mounted DVD player?? UPDATE #19 - Done! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone gone down the road of pulling one of these and replacing with an OEM light fixture or something similar?

I posted up this years ago, but now that 3D printing is a thing, maybe someone has created a good solution to cover the hole and support a light fixture?

Please post up if you know of anything. I'd love to get that wart off my ceiling.

dvd.jpg

Last edited:
In my 2001 LX, I just removed it and screwed in the OEM light in the same location. Was pretty easy, think I had to splice some wires. Only issue is the indentation on the ceiling fabric from the old DVD player shows. Ill grab some pics later.

Yep, as stated above. I replaced mine with the factory lights from a partout. You have to splice a couple of wires but it's fairly straightforward. I still have the indention in the ceiling where the dvd player was but I'd definitely rather have that than a non-working piece of crap eyesore.

This is great info! Last time I asked, I believe the consensus was that the existing hole for the previous light fixture was likely enlarged for the DVD player's install, and that I'd be left with a hole too big for the factory dome to cover.
I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I can accept the indentations.
Looks like both Lexus and Toyota call out the same Interior Lamp part #, 8126060151B0 (Ivory), about $120 on-line.

Steam will help with the indentations. If it’s got holes then you’ll have to drop the headliner and have an upholstery shop repair and recover.
Great idea, will have to give that a shot

Here's a picture of mine. Definitely need to figure out a way to clean it up.

View attachment 3242841
Crap, that is not what I was expecting and I bought the dome lamp yesterday. I was hoping there was an aftermarket, color-matching, thin flat plastic "cap" for lack of a better word, with a small lip in its outside edge, that would mount in place of the DVD player, with holes to mount the OEM interior dome lamp to/though, that would fit the outside footprint groove of the DVD player. Can't one of you smarties with a 3D printer rig up such a thing? Maybe fashion a hat-holder or something else practical to go along with it?

That was sent to me by a fellow MUD member, skiwpk. When I asked him where he got it, he said that it was a Target cutting board that he painted. Doesn't look too bad to me. Mine is worse than the picture above. The PO cut out all of the headliner material, so I have 1 BIG hole to go along with the creases. Haven't done anything yet, since the lights in the aftermarket DVD player actually still work.

Last edited:
By the way, I have a gray headliner from a 2001 LX that I would be willing to sell. I took it out of a wreck without realizing that it was different from my 2003. It has a piece of trim around the sunroof 2003 and later models don't have.

That was sent to me by a fellow MUD member, skiwpk. When I asked him where he got it, he said that it was a Target cutting board that he painted. Doesn't look too bad to me. Mine is worse than the picture above. The PO cut out all of the headliner material, so I have 1 BIG hole to go along with the creases. Haven't done anything yet, since the lights in the aftermarket DVD player actually still work.
Your attachment photo isn't opening, giving me an error message.

1 BIG hole?! Ugh...that's what I'm afraid I'll find. My lights on the player work too. I wonder if I can just gut the heavy stuff from the player to lighten it up some. My concern is the thing will start flopping open and around when I start getting this LX on to some trails.

I have a friend that runs 50,000 sqft of commercial machine shop business. I imagine if worse comes to worst I can have him whip something up for me that I can powder coat or cover with fabric.

By the way, I have a gray headliner from a 2001 LX that I would be willing to sell. I took it out of a wreck without realizing that it was different from my 2003. It has a piece of trim around the sunroof 2003 and later models don't have.
My interior is ivory. Hopefully someone else with a gray interior can take you up on this.

Last edited:
Your attachment photo isn't opening, giving me an error message.

1 BIG hole?! Ugh...that's what I'm afraid I'll find. My lights on the player work too. I wonder if I can just gut the heavy stuff from the player to kighten it up some. My concern is the thing will start flopping opne and around when I start getting this LX on to some trails.

I have a friend that runs 50,000 sqft of commercial machine shop business. I imagine if worse comes to worst I can have him whip something up for me that I can powder coat or cover with fabric.

My interior is ivory. Hopefully someone else with a gray interior can take you up on this.
Tried attaching the photo again.
Mine kept falling out if I hit a bump, dangling by the wire. It didn't work anyway, so I put a screw through the middle to hold it. Probably will just live with it unless I do something like skiwpk.

I had a big hole in mine. Found an overhead light on ebay, but still didn't solve the hole issue. I ended up taking a thin piece of sheet metal the same shape as the old dvd player and screwing it to he headliner

Maybe I'll pull it down and check for holes but I got an HDMI to RCA adapter and a mini Roku works on it with my WiFi hotspot which I never use but it was kinda cool trying it out.

Well...I dropped the DVD player out. From the moment I realized there were wood screws holding it to whatever was behind it, I knew I was going to be disappointed. And sure enough...a gigantic opening...there was actually a wood block in there bolted to the cross bar...

and two separate wiring "harnesses", neither of which look stock. The one that looks like it was spliced in to the ribbon wire was plugged in to the "Dome Light" plug on the DVD player....(EDIT: after further review, the ribbon wire appears to be OEM)

The other one with the thicker black sheath and red/yellw wires was plugged in to the "Power" plug on the DVD player....

And a quick peek under the dash by the driver kick panel shows what appears to be the other end of the black harness spliced in to OEM wires there, and big square things that I assume are capacitors, voltage regulators, or something....

IMG-20230305-171215765.jpg

ugh. Does anyone happen to have any photos of what the wire harness looks like that plugs in to their middle Interior Lamp? And any wiring schematics for the Interior Lamps?

At first I thought that ribbin wire was aftermarket, and tied in to audio. But aftter a closer look, it looks like it runs back to the rear Interior Lamp. Maybe is OEM wiring for the interior lamps?

EDIT: Per this very helpful video from @Kamran Khan it appears the ribbon wire is OEM. I'm assuming I should be good to remove the aftermarket power harness in its entirety, and if I can find a matching connector to plug in to the Interior Lamp, then re-wire it to the ribbon wire and simply plug it in. EDIT: I found the part #. @Kamran Khan was a month ahead of me in this quest Need help In identifying this harness for dome light - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/need-help-in-identifying-this-harness-for-dome-light.1304968/#post-14820824 . Be sure to get the metal connector pins, too! https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802975546999.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US
MUD is such a great asset!

Update: Cover plate made from aluminum and I'm covering it w/headliner material, aftermarket wiring is out and just waiting for the terminal connector pins so I can finish up.

Last edited:
Done!
As usual, couldn't have done it without MUD and my neighbor. He made the aluminum plate, I bought the headliner material from JoAnnes, and @Kamran Khan put me in the right direction for the pins and wiring info. I wish the headliner fabric was a better match, but it is what it is. Maybe some day if a 3D printer vendor can print up a thin, matching panel I'll swap out the covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom