Options for putting gas cans on Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bajaphile

Boojum Hugger
SILVER Star
Threads
I need to carry about 20 gallons of gas to where I plan on going.

I dont have the time or money to build a swing out or anything fancy on the rear bumper. I am just going to build a simple rack attached to my Yakima bars to safely secure the fuel cells. I've carried my gas my entire life on the roof, I don't have any issues with it. Always just used the cheap-O plastic containers from Wal-Mart.

Question is this.. What are my options? So far I've seen the following options:

1) Cheap 5-6 gallon plastic gas containers...would like to get away from this.
2) $1million dollar Rotopax that only carry 4gallons...? Ripoff in my opinion for a plstic container.
3) Metal Jerry cans, about $45, awkward shape for roof carrying though.
4) Scepter cans, similar to Jerry cans -- Too high profile

Any other options you can give me?

I'm basically looking for a high quality made container that is low profile.

Thanks

I need to carry about 20 gallons of gas to where I plan on going.

I dont have the time or money to build a swing out or anything fancy on the rear bumper. I am just going to build a simple rack attached to my Yakima bars to safely secure the fuel cells. I've carried my gas my entire life on the roof, I don't have any issues with it. Always just used the cheap-O plastic containers from Wal-Mart.

Question is this.. What are my options? So far I've seen the following options:

1) Cheap 5-6 gallon plastic gas containers...would like to get away from this.
2) $1million dollar Rotopax that only carry 4gallons...? Ripoff in my opinion for a plstic container.
3) Metal Jerry cans, about $45, awkward shape for roof carrying though.
4) Scepter cans, similar to Jerry cans -- Too high profile

Any other options you can give me?

I'm basically looking for a high quality made container that is low profile.

Thanks

Thats what i used on my last trip,ebay boat metal jerry cans.

R0211248.jpg

R0210653.jpg

vacation-14.jpg

55 bux on fleebay.

$(KGrHqVHJDEE7Bcvh8foBO5PT3M18g~~60_12.jpg

The original style jerrycans are superb - not the later EPA approved versions:

2912.jpg

http://deutscheoptik.com/NATO-20-Liter-Jerry-Can-SET-OF-FOUR.html

You won't find a deal like this elsewhere for brand new cans. These can be carried on their side without leaking. The seals may start to go bad after five or ten years - but you can buy seals there too.

I carried two of these cans on the White Rim along with a Space Booster and they worked great. I built a stout aluminum tray for the two cans (between the two crossbars) and secured them with ratchet straps.

UT%20AZ%20trip-2012_05_10-0376.jpg

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:
I got a couple of 6 gals plastic boat cans. Perfect for the application: low profile, cap on top, and you can use a plastic hose with a rubber bulb to empty it straight from the roof into your truck tank if you wish. Downside: a bit heavy to heave up on the roof when full. But you can fill them on the roof itself if you watch out for static etc.

It's hard to argue against the Rotopax - expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

:cheers:

Sweet guys, thanks for the responses! I dig the metal boat jerry cans.

Woot.Com has some in tools today

Sent from my MB865 using IH8MUD

I don't have much input on the containers as I've only used the scepters, but here's what I did for the roof rack before I built my rear bumper.

The rack is from harbor freight and could be mounted either long ways or across, depending on your setup. I've done both, to fit it with a roof box and a roof top tent.

Drill a few holes in the rack, a few extra yakima clips and you are good to go. Plus the rack is almost always on sale at HF.

DSCF2847.JPG

DSCF2846.JPG

:cheers:

best roof mount for fuel water scepter military 10L Runts

Here is what we use. They are tough,made for the military with a 15+year expected service life seal perfect have a low profile and secure solid in many styles of mounting brackets including ones available from surplus military stores.
They are only available in a few places in red these days, o/d green is easy to locate and reasonably priced
it's called a scepter military 10L Runt one style for fuel and one for water. height as seen is 12.5" very low profile!

IMG_2682.jpg

The original style jerrycans are superb - not the later EPA approved versions:

2912.jpg

http://deutscheoptik.com/NATO-20-Liter-Jerry-Can-SET-OF-FOUR.html

You won't find a deal like this elsewhere for brand new cans. These can be carried on their side without leaking. The seals may start to go bad after five or ten years - but you can buy seals there too.

I carried two of these cans on the White Rim along with a Space Booster and they worked great. I built a stout aluminum tray for the two cans (between the two crossbars) and secured them with ratchet straps.

UT%20AZ%20trip-2012_05_10-0376.jpg

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

The NATO cans are the best type of gas container you can buy. Tough and will not leak. I found a deal from Rovers North a few years back and bought 5.

The NATO cans are the best type of gas container you can buy. Tough and will not leak. I found a deal from Rovers North a few years back and bought 5.

YUP

DSC06369.JPG

Heh! this post is a year old. But anyways, I ended up going fancy and getting a swingout to carry the standard NATO cans!! haha.

However up until that happened, I had an old Harbor freight carrying basket that I modified then connected to my Yakima racks with u-bolts like Coax shows. That worked great!

im using the douche optik cans on top of my rack with the expedition warehouse mounts. works great

they fit perfectly with my two roof boxes and are about the same height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom