Options for locking receiver hitch pins? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I removed the hitch cover and tried to affix my locking pin (below)

Master Lock Receiver Lock,... Amazon product ASIN B001AVSIOI

I was able to get the pin in, but the lock wouldn’t fit or lock due to the plastic shroud over the receiver. I see that some people have cut the plastic back, but short of that are there any other locks that may fit or suggestions for fitting something short of a traditional hitch pin/cotter combo?

The one that came on my hitch works well. The barrel is in line with the shaft. I think this is the same one:

Uriah Products UT205810 Heavy Duty Chrome Plated Locking Hitch Pin​

I was able to get the pin in, but the lock wouldn’t fit or lock due to the plastic shroud over the receiver. I see that some people have cut the plastic back, but short of that are there any other locks that may fit or suggestions for fitting something short of a traditional hitch pin/cotter combo?
We've got a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel for real towing, so the LC may get that duty 3-4 times a year with light trailers or a log splitter and that's it. When I do tow, I use a 5/8" grade 8 bolt with a locking nut to secure the hitch to the Land Cruiser. For other possibilities, go to etrailer.com.

I had the same master lock version you posted, cut the shroud to fit, then the salt and elements of Colorado weather slowly took hold. I had to have a shop cut that lock off once the key failed to unlock it. (Yep, tried all sorts of tricks before conceding)

Now am using this and will keep rubber cover on it ;) as well as a thin layer of marine grease (same grease I use on my KDSS bolt heads) to keep it functioning.

YMMV

I've been using that pin for years with no trouble or trimming. Do you have it oriented with the lock facing out like this?

IMG_2612.JPG

HTH

I've been using that pin for years with no trouble or trimming. Do you have it oriented with the lock facing out like this?

View attachment 2545489

HTH
I was able to push the plastic back and get the lock on partially, but gave up trying to force it to engage. It's a great lock, but not a good fit for my LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom