Options for fixing the torn leather seat... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've search the site and saw some recommendations for re-stitching and one for custom covers.

Is there an affordable kit to replace just the lower part of the leather seat (and foam pad underneath)?!

Here is the situation:
2df3345d-6054-43f0-9da8-7b12ea7fcb26.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple friends have gone to local auto upolstery shops to redo that- it's easy for them since they have the old one to use as a pattern. They can rebuild the foam too. Turns out looking new.

Other option is to buy new foam from American toyota (cruiserdan or beno) and get some new leather.

Other option is to buy new foam from American toyota (cruiserdan or beno) and get some new leather.

I'd bet that's over $400 each... anybody know?

I went to a local upholstery shop. They charged me $100 to restitch that same seam that is split on yours. Expensive but that was the only thing wrong with my leather so I had to get it done.

Split seams can be re-stitched. You can do it yourself if you remove the seat cover, then stitch from the back side. Floss is nylon and STRONG thread for this type of repair. Make sure you have hogsring pliers and hogsrings to re-install. In a pinch, zipties will work in place of hog rings.

I just used regular thread and a big assed needle. Been holding for about a year but now theres other seams letting go. The one I stitched is the ds seat outer bolster seam, I tend to slide in and out of the van and Im really surprised it held.

D

It looks like the side of of the seat has a pretty good tear, not just a split seam. Looking at your seats it looks like the side bolster will go eventually, and color/texture matching the bottom to the worn/aged back will be nigh unto impossible.

I think the best option is a set of front seat covers from AATLAS1X here on mud, in the merchandise or vendor section, and a front seat drivers cushion from c-dan for ~$150 IIRC. You will have front seats that match and will be in good working order for a long time, versus a piecemeal looking front seat with older portions likely to fail in the not too distant future. You would then require more piecemeal replacement covers that may never match correctly, and it would end up costing more in the long run. At the very least I would replace the seat bottom cushion and the full covers for the drivers seat.

Last edited:
Get the leather kit from the guy that sells them on here. I had mine done by a local shop and it turned out nice, but I will use the kit from here next time. Yes, I plan on a next time. The way I see it, leather is only good for about 5-7 years.

If you want a real economical option, just get a set of custom fabric or cordura seat covers from Great Covers or GT Covers or one of the reputable custom seat cover companies. Use 'em until your ready to replace the drivers seat bottom foam and the leather on the front seats...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom