Options for battery driven vacuum pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The vacuum tank is the easy part. Even a small disposable propane tank would work. I 've got a larger old fire extinguisher to put in - once I figure out where. I presume that if you wanted to get fancy and had a big tank, you could wire an electric vacuum pump to start only when the vacuum gets below a certain level - just like an air compressor. From what i understand, the Dorman is running all the time.

Toshi38 said:
I have the SSB electric vacuum pump on my truck...

When I did my diesel swap I removed the original alt/vac pump and replaced it with a GM model 160 amps. So I figured I had plenty of power might as well go electric vacuum.

While the pump works good vacuum wise I would not buy it again.

So that vacuum pump makes enough vacuum to operate your brakes?

The other option would be to build a mount to add a mechanical vacuum pump - either on an empty spot on the block or as others have done to mount an additional alternator behind/beside the stock one. Tapage, the GU Patrol has a nice little mechanically powered vacuum pump. I am sure other trucks also have them too. I have on empty spot on the TD4.2 but I have been saving it for an endless-onboard-air that i dream of doing one day.

1HD-T and 1HZ also have mechanical vac pump .. gear driven but not too easy to adapt .. electrical seems to be the easy way to ran out of the attached to the alt option ..

Considering the other parts that need to be sourced and fitted, like solenoids and vacuum switches, I decided to stick with the ready made systems. I also stuck with 12v and installed a Solar Converter to give me 12v since I needed 12v for other equipment on my vehicle. I ended up going with the Metric Mind unit. It was definitely not the cheapest but I thought it was the nicest unit, high quality, well made, compact and quiet. It is made for electric vehicles. One really nice feature is that everything is contained inside the case of pump. The whole thing is fairly compact and rugged. The unit is pretty quiet, if the engine is off, you can hear it but it is not ridiculous. Once the truck is running, you can't hear it. I kept things simple and plumbed it directly into where the stock alternator vacuum pump draws vacuum. If your vehicle, has a dash mounted switch to engage 4wd, it will draw vacuum to shift the transfer case. That is pretty much it, it was an easy install and works great, I forget that it is there. It definitely gives you the flexibility to use another alternator. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I did the same thing for my BJ60 when the vacuum pump took a dump. When I researched this, the first thing that came to mind was safety, not money. These units are designed from the ground up to supply constant vacuum in electric cars. If you've ever been in a vehicle that's lost vacuum for the brakes you soon come to realize that this is a system that has to be reliable. The Metric Mind (at least mine) only cycled when required, you couldn't hear it when the 3B was running. It operated all my vacuum sources. I still have it, even though the BJ is long gone.

Also, is that vacuum JUST for the brakes???

If so, I might switch to a hydraulic system that thieves power from the power steering.

Best,

T

More than likely just brakes on your truck, with my BJ 60, it also had a vacuum shifter and I believe the AC throttle kick up is a VSV.

I thought about hydraulic as well, but the stock Toyota pump doesn't move enough fluid, so you'll need to upgrade the hydraulics as well. Doesn't have to be Saginaw, I believe there is a Volvo unit that is a better fit.

More than likely just brakes on your truck, with my BJ 60, it also had a vacuum shifter and I believe the AC throttle kick up is a VSV.

I thought about hydraulic as well, but the stock Toyota pump doesn't move enough fluid, so you'll need to upgrade the hydraulics as well. Doesn't have to be Saginaw, I believe there is a Volvo unit that is a better fit.

I believe the best way to increase the volume of the stock unit is to use a smaller pulley wheel.

That being said, I had no idea I could use a Volvo pulley! Might be a better idea???:hmm:

Best,

T

I don't believe the problem is volume, it's pressure. Same reason you can't use a stock LC pump for a Milemarker winch. I think some might be using stock for hydraulic steering, but I doubt it. After a couple of hours of rock crashing in my 60 with 33 x 12.50's the pump starts to complain. My Saginaw set up in my 40 with 38 x 14.50's doesn't complain at all.
Try doing a search, I'm sure I read somewhere guy's were using Volvo pumps instead of Saginaw, something about the brackets being easier and more pressure. Of course, I might have been Google searching at the time, so if nothing comes up quickly, don't waste your time.

I found this Aussie electric car thread The Australian Electric Vehicle Asn: Brake Vacuum Pump which amongst others list the vacuum pump off an MR2 and a Volvo pump (part no UP28). Funny, they say the MR2 pump draws 75-80 amps at peak draw. You definitely will need a bigger alternator to power that one.

So that vacuum pump makes enough vacuum to operate your brakes?

Yes it operates the brakes fine. Also I have it setup to cycle on and off as needed so when I add the tank it will cycle less and as such be less annoying I hope! ... also after I weld it back together.

Still I wouldnt buy this again... I would have paid the 400 if I had known what a pain this thing was going to be on my cross canada road trip. Kinda funny when you travel across canada in a 75 landcruiser that you have just done a diesel swap in and the biggest problem is the vacuum pump....

The newer Isuzu NPR diesel trucks have an electric vacuum pump in addition to the one attached to the back of the alternator. I'm not sure if they were intended to just supplement the main pump or as a backup pump. They are mounted under the instrument panel to the left of the steering column. These may be a cheap alternative at your local junk yard. They are 12V and are activated by a switch mounted on the vacuum tank.

This member https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/awl_teq.html

makes a vacuum tank that looks and acts like the oem...VERY reasonable and he's a great guy. I think that the electric car vac pump from Oregon is the one to get, and use with this tank. Once I blow up my alternator, this is the way I will go.

D
AWL_teq no longer makes these vacuum tanks and has stopped manufacturing any items as of email dated Jan 13th 2020

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom