Optimal MPG for FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ckline

I must be stupid or something. Where do I get the TLCA card?
Also you mentioned the Blue Hairs and said you were driving like a girl - What about driving like me - OLD FART! LOL ;)

BTW, When I am running 70 mph my tach is reading right at 2.4K, I can't imagine how fast I'd be running at 2K. Tomorrow on t he way to work I will check it out.

Woodeye

Brock broke it down for you above...just log in and sign up. I say find the dealership who you get along with the most (the one where the techs and service guys all drive 4WD, go out every weekend and brag to each other about what they broke...then call each other "fags" cause they didn't wheel hard enough)!!, they are gonna give you the best deal, especially if you take the time to wheel with them. its like buying a car, "give me the deal i want or i walk...you will make it up on the next idiot that walks in your front door!!" the markup is so crazy on that stuff, i saw it but was sworn to secrecy about what i saw. i would never want to sever that connection, so my mouth is sealed!!

ps. i almost mentioned the "old fart" factor about my driving, but couldn't find our convo...so I didn't want to give the wrong person credit for that description. Anyway, include that in the way I drove!! It works for getting better mpgs.

I'm quite sure 304 miles divided by 15.4 =19.74 the 288 is when the light came on I have noticed that this can change based on if you are turning or stopping alot. but if driving on the highway I would easily drive 20-30 miles after the light comes on, and 10-20 if driving in town. to acheive the 288 you have to run mostly highway and stay below 70 MPH, or around 2000 RPM.

I think the break in period I feel is about 15k nothing scientific here just what is working for me.

good point above NINER. its all relevent.....if you fill 15 or 16 it should all come out the same. I would think you may get a little better mpgs with a lighter tank, but not enough. i still want to drive until i'm out...but am not completely convinced i wont mess my truck up.

You have never seen a truck on the side of the road out of gas before. They dont tow these in and repair them, they just add gas. ON the old diesels you used to have to prime them but your fine if you want to check it out .

All I was implying with the 288 is not to be hung up on how many miles you go before the light comes on because each truck is different as to when that light comes on. Focus on the MPG and if your getting 20 mph and your going 288 or 304 when the light comes on it just means the switch is higher or lower in the tank.

CKLINE, your avitar looks like Katemcy rocks, were you at the LSCR this year?

Ckline,

Yeah, I am stupid! I remembered as soon as I hit the "Submit" buttom about the TLCA! I'm joining right after this.

BTW, going to work today I let her run down to 2K on the tach. In 6th gear I am running 60 mph at that rpm. Can't deal with that on the road. I'm not that much of an old fart - yet!

I like your style of posting! makes me laigh out loud and my wife comes out to see what's got me tickled.

Woodeye

I get about 68-69mph at 1900rpms if I remember right from last trip. Then I only have a 5th gear in my auto tranny..I would think you would be going much faster at same RPM.

AT gets better mpgs than the 6. Your higher gears are still geared higher than our highs. at 70mph im running close to 2400 rpms. i could only wish i was running less than two!!

Last edited:
CKLINE, your avitar looks like Katemcy rocks, were you at the LSCR this year?

yeah i was out there...were you there? the avitar is from a video clip from the trip. the pics were taken in to high resolution. also, they don't seem as cool cause you actually have to get out an take a pic...your not in full motion!! heres a small video, if it still pops up http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/dwsmart/?actioview&current=KatemcyInternet.flv . let me know what song it is, there are a few out there...but of course my internet blocks all so im not sure which one i am sending.

we were at Hard8 BBQ for the LSLC meeting last night and talked a bit about Katemcy. One of the guys had my old sliders (if you really want to call them that) now he is thinking of getting rid of them after he saw how well they did for me at Katemcy!! Also got an email from the judge that was kind enough to dismiss my 95mph ticket in his 55mph zone right outside of the park!

What were you driving? I only made a small clip on the trail teams vid, but they did get a good picture I saved as my screen saver. it was good times, im ready for barnwell. do you make it out for that?

also loved that roof tent so much that i ended up buying it last week. froze my ars off on the ground, and i don't go cheap on camping equipment.

AT gets better mpgs than the 6. Your higher gears are still geared higher than our highs. at 70mph im running close to 2400 rpms. i could only wish i was running less than two!!

i forgot you dont have 3.73 gears...oh well I am seriously thinking of putting something larger in my differential to get back the torgue and low end grunt I loss with the larger and much heavier tires.

maybe you should just hunch your shoulders over the steering wheel....let your hair go gray and embrace driving slower. LOL hahaha :bounce::lol::doh:

Yea, we were there (HIJACK)
This was us
LSCR.jpg

1) TRD EXHAUST, gained 1-2
2) Spectre cold air w/ fabbed enclosure, access to cabin air(h2o proof....so far), 1-2 gained.
3) 35"Khumo MTs/5.5 lift, lost 4.(dammitman strikes again-back a bit behind square one@ 14-16)
Next on the list will be some Doug Thorley long tube headers, and free spinning/lockable front hubs.
I did install a vacuum gauge to the rear port on the intake plenum-higher vac press better mileage... mine does this at slightly higher revs than the auto wants to get, so using 4 vs D on the road grades, etc
works....which leads me to believe a good cure is to go with 4:56 gears.hmmmmmmm.

1) TRD EXHAUST, gained 1-2
2) Spectre cold air w/ fabbed enclosure, access to cabin air(h2o proof....so far), 1-2 gained.
3) 35"Khumo MTs/5.5 lift, lost 4.(dammitman strikes again-back a bit behind square one@ 14-16)
Next on the list will be some Doug Thorley long tube headers, and free spinning/lockable front hubs.
I did install a vacuum gauge to the rear port on the intake plenum-higher vac press better mileage... mine does this at slightly higher revs than the auto wants to get, so using 4 vs D on the road grades, etc
works....which leads me to believe a good cure is to go with 4:56 gears.hmmmmmmm.
XDodgeFJ2 - Whats up with the access to cabin air? And where can I find info on the free spinning front hubs? whay does the vacuum gauge do for you?

Thanks,

Woodeye

Ckline,

My wife and I watched your video! Awsume! One day, I'd like to Wheel mine like that, but for now, it's a daily driver and I can't take the chance of busting something! We both envy you. Some Day!

Woodeye

What's up FJ People, I was just checking out your forum and thought I'd put my recommendation. First off, I don't own an FJ but I do have a 4x double cab Tacoma with the Long bed. The Tacoma runs most efficient on 87 as opposed to 91. Burning 91 gave me an average of 15.8. (285 miles and 18 gallons to fill) Running the recommended 87 octane gave me around 17.8 average and tilted the odometer to 330 miles on the tank with an 18.5 gallons to fill. Recently I maxed out my air pressure to 44psi and although the ride is a little more rough, the results are incredible. I have averaged just under 400 miles per tankful but I do admit to being a little lighter on the pedal too. The last three fill ups have averaged in the 390's and still taking somewhere around 18 gallons to fill. My driving is around 60 percent city and 40 percent hwy (Southern California Fwys too) Good luck people, maybe my next new purchase will be an FJ!

Ckline,

My wife and I watched your video! Awsume! One day, I'd like to Wheel mine like that, but for now, it's a daily driver and I can't take the chance of busting something! We both envy you. Some Day!

Woodeye

That was one of the smaller videos, the others wouldn't come up. They more footage of some of the other guys out there.

Yea, we were there (HIJACK)
This was us

These screen names really throw me off. I wonder how many of you guys I have actually run into! I recognize your set up, and drove by it a few times. We were on the other side...and there was more free beer over there. You can understand why we stood our ground!!

Cabin air,vac gauge

Cabin air; I saw a baja piece that mentioned it(on a Taco), and it made sense.To do it, requires a little "fast and loose"with components;Lowe's. Cabin air is air is clean, and cool-comparetively speaking.My cold air uses SPECTRE tubing pieces,a "y" to the fender well vent, with the second filter(in the same enclosure over the fender well)connected to cabin air via a supply made with a 2 1/2 hole cutter, and a SPECTRE flexible vent tube into a rubber plumbing sleeve, and flange backed adapter screwed into the firewall(and siliconed).It gets loud when you get on it, but its a good loud, I put a restrictor(from a 4-6" rubber plumbing adapter)so most of the pull would come through the cone nozzle end instead of the filter cone "sides".I 'll send a pict of the set up when I figure out how to do that....anyway it seems h2o proof so far, and cold air is only "cold air" if the incoming air is cooler than the ambient temps.This may help compensate for the A/C i HAVE TO RUN 3/4 of the time(Louisiana) but it definately helps for some quick seat o the pants feel, especially if you kill the A/C during the accel. The vacuum gauge theory holds true, WHEN i HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO STAY OFF THE ACCELLERATOR!!!!!!I have an automatic, and find that I need to manually shift down at times to keep the vacuum up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom