Optimal driving Revs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day guys and gals....
Okay, so I know there is a million reasons for the old girl being a bit heavy on the juice, but is there a way to find the old girls happy spot...i.e.... something like optimum revs? Got a 1997 1HD FT 2" lift with 285/75/R16 tires, Auto transmission. I hear the ladies driving the petrols say "keep the revs up" - Your thoughts?

I have an FT also, it REALLY runs good at 1800-2000 rpm but will run much higher. I feel that torque is really great in that range though. I have an H151F 5 speed and I recently installed the 10% overdrive transfer case gears from Terrain Tamer. Freeway RPM's are great now. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if you're in too high of a gear but the diesels make torque at a much lower rpm then the 1FZ it seems.

Best economy is the lowest you can smoothly run in top gear with the torque converter locked.

Most engines have a way of telling you when they’re not in their happy place. Things like bogging, vibration, and screaming are good indicators that they’re less than pleased with the way you’re driving.

Oddly on a lot of engines I have owned, diesel and gas, they liked to be at 2K RPM. I found going higher burned more fuel. A rev'ing engine lightly loaded seems to burn more than a bogged engine rev'ing lower.... That's why modern vehicles are always jumping up in gears so quickly and go to a down shift so quickly when some torque is needed.

You can feel the torque sweet spot through you foot. Too little rpms and it will feel sluggish, too many rpms and there will be not much left when you accellerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom