Optima Yellow top or Exide Orbital battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
bad-bad-monkey.spaces.live.com
I've seen lots of good reviews (and some bad) on the Optima yellow tops, but I was wondering about the Exide Orbital battery. They use the same technology, and are sold by Canadian Tire here in Canada.

Both are great for Diesel vehicles because they can handle the extra vibrations. I am curious about them though.

Has anyone tried either, and could the report their experiences.

Thank you,
:beer:

I use Optimas. Love 'em. I used to have a pair of Red Tops. They are the only battery that has been able to withstand my leaving my headlights on. Other batteries have been trashed by a deep discharge like that. My Optimas still charge and load test fine.

I now have a pair of Optima Commercial Yellow Tops. 1125 cold cranking amps each.

I have an interstate workaholic in my diesel mercedes that has survived many many head lights left on and killed completely. Even soo much that the analog clock inside would quit.

I would recommend interstate batteries.

Also I have had good luck operating Toyota brand batteries. I have used them for about 12 plus years in different vehicles.

Thanks for the replies :)

I spoke to a few sales people from Exide in Canada, and in the US. Apparently Exide and Optima were in a patent race for the spiral cell dry technology, and Optima won in N.A.. Exide got the patent in Spain.

Exide and Optima are virtually identical in technology, but the Exides have a slightly lower price. I'm going to be grabbing a couple of the Exide XCD batteries for myself.

edit** I just realized that the XCD from Exide are Deep cycle only, and not dual purpose (starting & deep cycle) like the Optima Yellow top line.

Last edited:
I've been running exide orbitals in my HJ60 for a few years now. Excellent batteries with absolutely no issues. The fact that Canadian Tire sells them is a bonus as far as warranty is concerned.

you can get optima at costco here in canada i have a pair of red tops in my van. mostly to run some tunes all weekend when camping. i have interstates in my truck, i was going to try the optimas out of the van for the winter but the overall size made me wonder if they could handle my load. i run an espar and it can drink the juice if i dont start the truck and recharge the batteries.

I have run both, I have actually killed the Optimas and the Orbitals were just killer, really really strong batteries.. I will be buying the Excides again personally...

What about the Optima Blue Tops - they are marine based but are starter & deep cycle aswell as they are stronger built than the reds & yellows , heaps of people run these in ther 4x4's. Anyone have Optima Blue tops & how are they ?

I had a Optima 1200 model ( 3rd biggest in their range now) , thought it was crap against a truck battery i had with a similar CC rating & the negative terminal wet wobbly after a few years & the connection was broken .

The blue tops seem to be a popular upgrade for people with LR Discos. I actually will be needing a blue top (model D31M), mainly because of the frigging size of my current battery and tray.

13" Length, 7" width, and 10" height... talk about a friggin' big and heavy battery as well! :beer:

I guess with anything that is mass produced now it's hit and miss in terms of getting a lemon or a winner. Regardless of what I've read, both seem like great battery manufacturers.

you can buy the optima's at wall mart in vancouver just get them to order them or check stock at several stores i think around $ 150 each .

i have always run crappy tire batteries and replace them both at the same time i use the eliminators .

i put an ever ready the cheapest one from wallmart in my wifes car as hers died , it has been fine for the last little while .

I've had the Optime Yellows in my truck for 2 1/2 years now. I replaced the batteries that were there before due to leaks in steep grade off road situations. So fdar they have been excellent. I've had many evening where I run the stereo off them with the truck not running for 4-5 hours and the truck starts right away. If they die I might try the Excides. Got the Optimas at Costco - can't beat the price for tires or batteries.

orbitals all the way, i still have the japanese ones in mine, but as soon as they go, orbitals are going in. i had one in my 4runner gasser, and the battery tray let loose driving down a logging road to the point that it rubbed against the belt..........making a hole in it, it ran like that for at least a week, no signs of power loss. im very impressed with this battery.

Fantom is right costco is the way to go i believe you can get both of them there
aaron

Optima only make 2, Yes two types of batteries. RED SLI starting batteries and YELLOW Deep Cycle dual purpose batteries. Before you jump up and down....... the SLI starting battery has a dark grey case, the deep cycle has a light grey/white case.
The ones with the BLUE tops are either Dark grey cases (red tops) or light grey cases (yellow tops)
The identification can be found in the model number, if it has a "D" in the model number it is a deep cycle dual purpose (yellow top), if it doesn't have a "D" in the model number it is a SLI Red top.
The BLUE tops have different terminal configuration for Marine applications or 4x4, but are either RED or YELLOW tops in disguise.
RED tops have a dark case
YELLOW tops have a light case
BLUE are either dark case (RED tops) or light case(YELLOW tops) and are EXACTLY the same specification of the corresponding RED or YELOW top
I use the D31 series yellow top because the terminal configuration suits me, otherwise I would use the Blue top light grey case.

thats weird , cos funnly enough i drove by a bIg Auto electrician place today the servies, repairs & sells heaps of stuff ( had like 4 bays full or cars ), ended up going in for look as never seen it before ( new to area ) , they had heaps of batterys there , even the exide orbitals & all the optima's , plus a heap of others i have never seen before .

So i spoke th guy in charge and inquired about the Exide Orbitals they have there , he reck'ns they are junk , sold like 6 & 4 came back for warranty , but said 1 guy he knew had one was going well after 5 years , then asked about the Optima's , he said they sell s*** loads of them & has never had a warranty claim yet ! sapposedly there are 3 different batters - Red as a pure "starter", yellow as a "deep cycle" but can start with it & the Blue for "Marine " - which is more like the yellow top , but has a higher cca rating ( yellow has a different rating )and going by what he says , Blue tops are popular . was quoted close to $400 NZ for one .

My .0000000000000002 C's worth !

thats weird ....... sapposedly there are 3 different batters - Red as a pure "starter", yellow as a "deep cycle" but can start with it & the Blue for "Marine " - which is more like the yellow top , but has a higher cca rating ( yellow has a different rating )and going by what he says , Blue tops are popular . was quoted close to $400 NZ for one .

My .0000000000000002 C's worth !

The BLUE tops have different terminal configuration for Marine applications or 4x4, but are either RED or YELLOW tops in disguise.
RED tops have a dark case
YELLOW tops have a light case
BLUE are either dark case (RED tops) or light case(YELLOW tops) and are EXACTLY the same specification of the corresponding RED or YELOW top
Read the words
READ DARK CASE or LIGHT CASE
If it has a D in the part number it is YELLOW, if not it is RED, it is really simple!
Go to the website and confirm the info, it is easy

SORRY,

I just hate battery salespersons that have no idea what they are selling, a very common occurence unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom