Optima Yellow Install Pain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was able to get the yellow top in, but I don't feel real good about how taught the cables are. I had to carve out part of the fiberglass to get them to reach. Anyone have any suggestions - is it a problem? I bet everyone with a yellow top in the stock location experienced this, should I worry?

Don't know about the yellow, as I have red and blue. That said, the red comes in different configurations. Did you get the right one? I did not have a problem with mine reaching, but your cables should be too tight. Can you post a pic so we can see better?

I have the Orange Top - which is now called 800R or red top with reverse SAE terminals (+ and - positions are flipped). It is the correct battery for the 80 and fits in the stock location without the need to stretch the cables. I did have to use the Optima spacer on the bottom of the battery.

One thing that might help with the cable length is the http://www.prioritystart.com. I have one installed to save my battery from draining down from all the accessories.

John

could you use one or two or these manual copper throw switches that are intended to cut off the battery?
these look like they'll add 2 or 3" to the reach? About $20 a pop IIRC, and pretty useful too
E

The orange top is now the red top 34R - which is the reversed terminal model that will bolt right in a Cruiser. Of course if you are adding accessories anyway - might want to go the route above...

Tucker

Here is a photo. The extra room created just enough space for air horns!

Kstone.......yeah, I had to 'carve' the box a little too........no problems over the last 50k miles, other than it just bugs me that the rubber grommet doesn't fit anymore....:)

Out of curiosity: Why'd you choose the yellow top? ALso, have you considered running your accessories to the side terminals?

bkgiii - I did not do a lot of research, just needed a new battery. Two nights in a row I killed the last battery by running the stereo for a couple of hours around a campfire. When I stopped by the auto parts store to get a replacement I came across the Optima and bought it - I've heard about optimas for a few years and decided to try it.
I have not considered attaching all my stuff to the side terminals - would that provide any benefit?

Keystone:

The comment is likely base on the fact that the Yellow top (and Blue) are deep cycle batteries (good for running your stereo when the engine is off), but are not really designed for use as a starter battery.

Cheers, Hugh

I just put in a yellow top three weeks ago.

The main battery cables will reach fine, but the two 8 gauge cables from the fusible link box outside the battery tray (inside yours now) need to be replaced with longer ones. In my area, AutoZone had a decent selection of wire and end-fittings. I made two 12 inch long wires that reach into the battery much better. Used military style clamps on the battery posts.

If you look, there is a third "fused" wire that runs along side of the fusible link box. I just used the same wire and bolted the end of it into one of the connections in the fusible link box.

I can maybe take a picture in an hour or two if you want to see my set-up.

p.s. In my three weeks of experience, the Yellow top works fine as a starting battery. Mine has 750 CCA, not sure if all do. Cranks with more power than the 9 year old OEM battery it replaced.

photo would be helpfull... thanks. No problems starting with mine either.

Pic 1 of 2

Pic 2 of 2

As you can see I had to zip-tie the fusible link box shut as it broke when I opened it. Mine had a generous amount of dialectric grease covering both connection when I first opened it. Clean it off and it's a simple procedure.

Incidentally, the connections at the ends of the wires I got at Auto Zone too, the terminals from wrangler.

Kewl fonts... please share how you did that.

-B-

Step #1: Be bored and at work
Step #2: Have Photoshop at work or a bootlegged version at home (see kazaa.com)
Step #3: Go to a free-font website like acidfonts.com and get some free fonts. The one I used is called Fatboy Slim--it's his handwriting from one of his album covers.

Then its a matter of highlighting some of the areas you want colored and adding your desired layer styles (effects). It's easy for me, but then again it's what I do for a living. (Marketing, advertising, brochure/literature design and copywriting, etc.)

Its a lot easier to separate the bundle and then bring each wire, link and little black box through the rubber grommet one by one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom