optima blue top group 31 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taz

Threads
what does it take to get a group 31 blue top optima in the 80? will it hit the hood?

shoe horn?

:D

It's tight, but it should fit. I know of a couple guys who've gotten them in the OEM battery box. It JUST barely fits.

Mark, is that the Optima that Costco sells?? I've been meaning to do a search on that but kept on forgeting.
Does that mean it fits without having to mess with anything?? Anybody chime in that has actually used this battery??

It fits just fine. I've been running one for almost a year. It's a little difficult putting the retainer bar back in, but it goes if you are careful and persistant.

The Costco Blue top is a Group 34, which is smaller. It's a good battery thtough and I use one in my FJ40.

Here is a Group 31 in my 80 series:
dual4.jpg

Andrew, would the group 31 be okay to run in the 80 then??

Cruiserdrew said:
It fits just fine. I've been running one for almost a year. It's a little difficult putting the retainer bar back in, but it goes if you are careful and persistant.

The Costco Blue top is a Group 34, which is smaller. It's a good battery thtough and I use one in my FJ40.

Here is a Group 31 in my 80 series:

I see you have military lugs, did you also have to extend the cables any?

Both cables need to be modified to reach that far.

What do you think of running a blue top group 31 as the second battery and then a red top group 34 as the primary battery? That way you could have the winch hooked up to the blue top and since you have to run cables to the second battery anyway you could custom them to the right locations and leave the stock ones alone.

Last edited:
flintknapper said:
I see you have military lugs, did you also have to extend the cables any?

No-but you do have to modify them a bit. Before you start, order an extra fusable link set from Dan. Trust me on that.

To get the ground wire to fit, I did have to free the cable up a bit to move it into position, then lock it back down with wire ties. It isn't complicated though.

Clarkrw3 "That way you could have the wench hooked up to the blue top"

I hope that's just a spelling error. If I did that to my wench, I'd be in a heap of trouble. :D

Thank you Sir.

what's the cost for one of these things lately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom