optima blue top group 31

Elijah

Mark, is that the Optima that Costco sells?? I've been meaning to do a search on that but kept on forgeting.
Does that mean it fits without having to mess with anything?? Anybody chime in that has actually used this battery??

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

It fits just fine. I've been running one for almost a year. It's a little difficult putting the retainer bar back in, but it goes if you are careful and persistant.

The Costco Blue top is a Group 34, which is smaller. It's a good battery thtough and I use one in my FJ40.

Here is a Group 31 in my 80 series:
dual4.jpg

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Cruiserdrew said:
It fits just fine. I've been running one for almost a year. It's a little difficult putting the retainer bar back in, but it goes if you are careful and persistant.

The Costco Blue top is a Group 34, which is smaller. It's a good battery thtough and I use one in my FJ40.

Here is a Group 31 in my 80 series:

I see you have military lugs, did you also have to extend the cables any?

What do you think of running a blue top group 31 as the second battery and then a red top group 34 as the primary battery? That way you could have the winch hooked up to the blue top and since you have to run cables to the second battery anyway you could custom them to the right locations and leave the stock ones alone.

Last edited:

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

flintknapper said:
I see you have military lugs, did you also have to extend the cables any?
No-but you do have to modify them a bit. Before you start, order an extra fusable link set from Dan. Trust me on that.

To get the ground wire to fit, I did have to free the cable up a bit to move it into position, then lock it back down with wire ties. It isn't complicated though.

Clarkrw3 "That way you could have the wench hooked up to the blue top"

I hope that's just a spelling error. If I did that to my wench, I'd be in a heap of trouble. :D

Top Bottom