Opportunity to acquire a 93 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I have come across an opportunity to acquire a 93 LC for next to nothing. But it is in fairly rough shape, rust, brakes not working and engine may have issues. It has about 200k miles on it, not locked, but the interior is in decent shape. Owner said I can come by and see if I can get the engine running and if so, I will probably take the rig with the idea of using the engine for a rebuild project for my 97 LX. Oh, owner also said he has papers from when PO had the head gasket replaced in the past.

My questions center around can I use the 93 as a parts vehicle for my 97 LX? Will parts such as the door glass, windshield, door lock actuators, various switches such as the power window switches work in the LX? Is the engine a bolt in replacement for my LX engine? If I get it running well enough, I may just keep it as a knock around truck on my moms farm. I don't know..

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny

The 93-94 engine is not a direct fit as it does not have provisions for the crankshaft position sensor required for the later model. All those items could be retro-fitted, provided you have access to a complete correct donor engine with all those items serviceable.

Glass: Yes but the tint will be wrong and the left quarter glass configuration is different.

Switches: not many, the dash is different as is the power window master switch.

Door latches/actuators: Yes.

cruiserdan, thanks for the info!

So, i've decided to take my neighbor up on the offer of the free 93 land cruiser. 199k miles, modest rust, engine won't start, brakes need work. The engine will turnover, and I have spark but no fuel. I've worked my way back through the EFI and fuel pump relays and all tests good (as per testing in the FSM). So did the circuit opening relay.

However, I have no juice at the fuel pump relay. All the fuses check out. . Today I put on a new fusible link at the battery and still no fuel.

I jumped the diag ports and got the following codes 21 and 28. Which I believe both indicate an issue with O2 sensors. I got these codes from watching the CEL flash while jumper was in place. I didn't think to check if I have a CEL when I turn the key on, i'll do that next, but receiving the above codes would seem to indicate the ECU is getting power.

Any ideas why I have no power at the fuel pump relay? The LC does have a Toyota alarm system on it, if it does have a engine cutoff, would it be cutting power to the FP relay or to the starter ?

Thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Danny

Last edited:
I started out with a few edits on my last post and wound up rewriting it.. So sorry for the selfish bump.. ;)

So, i've decided to take my neighbor up on the offer of the free 93 land cruiser. 199k miles, modest rust, engine won't start, brakes need work. The engine will turnover, and I have spark but no fuel. I've worked my way back through the EFI and fuel pump relays and all tests good (as per testing in the FSM). So did the circuit opening relay.

However, I have no juice at the fuel pump relay. All the fuses check out. . Today I put on a new fusible link at the battery and still no fuel.

I jumped the diag ports and got the following codes 21 and 28. Which I believe both indicate an issue with O2 sensors. I got these codes from watching the CEL flash while jumper was in place. I didn't think to check if I have a CEL when I turn the key on, i'll do that next, but receiving the above codes would seem to indicate the ECU is getting power.

Any ideas why I have no power at the fuel pump relay? The LC does have a Toyota alarm system on it, if it does have a engine cutoff, would it be cutting power to the FP relay or to the starter ?

Thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Danny
Realize that the fuel pump on these do not run until cranking.

Need to measure fuel pressure in the rail when cranking.

Can you pull the fuel pump relay and jumper it to get the pump to run?

Thanks, I pulled the FPR and measured zero volts on all wires with the key in the on position. I also removed the fuel return and tried to start with no fuel coming out. So, am pretty sure I have no fuel pressure. Should I have voltage only when cranking? Looking at the EWD, should I have voltage on pin 5? I also checked the circuit opening relay and it passed voltage/ohm testing with a battery and meter. I plan to test for voltage on the COR today. Not sure which pins should have voltage, I'm thinking pins 2 and 4 at least and either 3 or 6 on the other side of the relay.

fpr.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom