Opportunity! Secure (long gun) Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruxarche

SILVER Star
Threads
Fellow Mudders,

I have been searching for a way to securely store a long gun (or two) in the cargo area of my 80. I do not want my entire cargo area taken up with drawers. But I want something more secure than cases and cables. Everything I have found has been too expensive, or fails to meet my basic criteria.

SNORKALUFAGUS, who has been making these drawer frames is interested in seeing if there are others out there who may be interested in a custom product.

Most important use for me is secure storage of guns after hunting if rifle must be stored in vehicle when I am parked in a public area, and to comply with gun free zone laws.

I'll put some of my criteria below and open it up to others to chime in. Let's see if there is interest out there in a custom, smaller storage option for our 80s.

Important features are:

1. Lockable-- Not necessarily against dedicated thieves, but not easily pried open…

2. Securely mounted to vehicle--

3. Easily removable form vehicle--the more intrusive into the cargo are it is, the more important it is that it can be easily removed

4. Size--Ideally it would fit two guns, either shotguns or scoped long guns. But if there were an opportunity for a much better design for one long gun that may work too.

5. Design--I am not sure if a drawer style is better than a hinged door. Not sure which is more secure or more convenient? Other options would be to build a relatively modestly secure enclosure with rifle mounting hardware inside bolted more securely to the vehicle. In other words, a basic box to keep the rifles out of view, and instead of just a rack inside, put an actual shot lock or santa cruz style mounting hardware.

6. Location--preferably over the wheel well to reduce intrusion into the cargo area.

Please share your comments!:)

If we can get some ideas together and find a solution I can fabricate and replicate something that will work for more than one person.

I think a false floor would be the best bet, been looking at doing something myself.

I'm interested.

If you remove the second row seats, you would have four 10 mm bolt holes to secure a box mounted cross ways in the second row foot well. This would not work if you wanted to seat more than 2 people. You could also make a single large tray type drawer to fit underneath rear storage drawers. Most firearms don't require a lot of depth laying on their side so the tray could be relatively shallow.

For over the rear wheel well you could use the mounting bolts for the third seat rail or maybe a u-bolt to clamp around the rail itself. The box would take the place of a storage box side extension and would just need to be shaped to extend down to the floor or have a couple of legs. It might be too long to use with the second row seat in the upright position.

Man that is a really cool drawer setup, price isn't bad either! I'd be interested, but I think I'm screwed because of my compressor mount. I'd have to go for a one-off custom build I think, or completely ditch the platform...

8426236336_df5be8ff07_b.jpg

Little off topic but along the same page. My plan is used the grab handles. Either a secure "shelf" between the 3rd seat handles above. or perhaps front to back shelf using the 2nd grab handle holes as well. I haven't really measured to see how feasible it would be, just a thought bouncing in my head.

why on the floor, it will always interfere with seating.

Why not fab a bracket that mounts to the grab handles on the ceiling, and a box that mounts there? gives lots of length and allows for removal of the safe when not in use. also allows for home install of brackets for home gun safe.

Long gun means different things, My 870 is very different with a bird barrel compared to the slug barrel. and my topper skeet gun is even longer. I haven't even though about my Kentucky long 50.

Little off topic but along the same page. My plan is used the grab handles. Either a secure "shelf" between the 3rd seat handles above. or perhaps front to back shelf using the 2nd grab handle holes as well. I haven't really measured to see how feasible it would be, just a thought bouncing in my head.

why on the floor, it will always interfere with seating.

Why not fab a bracket that mounts to the grab handles on the ceiling, and a box that mounts there? gives lots of length and allows for removal of the safe when not in use. also allows for home install of brackets for home gun safe.

Long gun means different things, My 870 is very different with a bird barrel compared to the slug barrel. and my topper skeet gun is even longer. I haven't even though about my Kentucky long 50.

I would like to see an overhead solution too. A lot of people have low storage systems but from what I have seen very few seem to have overhead storage systems already, so if you are going to put something together that others could work with this seems to make sense.

It looks like a rack similar to jjgarci1's rack (https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/623800-mad-attic-rack.html) with a closed front (towards front of LC) and a hinged locking mechanism on the back would be fairly secure.

Looking at 2 gun hard cases at Amazon, it looks like dimensions are from 4-6" deep x 14-18" wide x 42-54" long. A shelf that gives you 5" or so of clearance above it and is approx 48" wide would give most people a lot of options. (All that said, I am "working" so I don't have access to the actual dimension between the 3rd row handles and maybe it would be too narrow.)

I would like to see an overhead solution too. A lot of people have low storage systems but from what I have seen very few seem to have overhead storage systems already, so if you are going to put something together that others could work with this seems to make sense.

It looks like a rack similar to jjgarci1's rack (https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/623800-mad-attic-rack.html) with a closed front (towards front of LC) and a hinged locking mechanism on the back would be fairly secure.

Looking at 2 gun hard cases at Amazon, it looks like dimensions are from 4-6" deep x 14-18" wide x 42-54" long. A shelf that gives you 5" or so of clearance above it and is approx 48" wide would give most people a lot of options. (All that said, I am "working" so I don't have access to the actual dimension between the 3rd row handles and maybe it would be too narrow.)

Exactly what I was thinking of.

Me likely overhead idea.

...an overhead hinged steel case spanning the rear width of the truck that opens from the rear of the truck. kind of like the overhead compartment of an airplane. But instead of luggage it is full of my toys. :)

Me likely overhead idea.

hijack

Only issue I see would be removing said long items from the rear. With the contour of the roof dropping down to the upper tailgate opening you would almost need a quick release or at least wing nut something to allow the back half or more to drop down for easy slide out of long items.

/hijack

...an overhead hinged steel case spanning the rear width of the truck that opens from the rear of the truck. kind of like the overhead compartment of an airplane. But instead of luggage it is full of my toys. :)

Yep! If they spanned DS to PS vs. Front to rear... :hmm:

Why not do a tailgate box and reinforce the latches. Pretty sure an AR will fit back there. Could probably fit two in there with reasonable security and it won't intrude on anything?

Where would my tow straps, etc go :hillbilly:

two thoughts: My longest gun is 48", and I am 5'8".

Tailgate does appear to be wide enough. Up high, it would only fit below the height of the grab bars. Above that, i do not think there is enough width from P to D (as previously noted below) for that length rifle.

I am 5'8" and I have a 2.5" lift. Even with the tailgate up it is difficult for me to reach very far into the rear of the truck at the headliner. The opening would need to be pretty far towards the back or I would need a stool:eek:

For a single rifle, I would install an overhead Santa Cruz lock system between the overhead grab handles, front to back. These are used in cop cars and use a 12 v solenoid to trip the release, with a manual key over ride. They are extremely well built and have been tested and refined for many decades. For the application the OP wants, he wouldn't need to wire in the power.

IMG_0073.jpeg

934-5-A.gif

http://santacruzgunlocks.com/products/sc-934-5-a-adjustable-overhead-universal-rack/

I have a vertical Santa Cruz system mounted in my closet, using a hidden push button (momentary on) switch, a 10 second timer and a small DC power supply. The solenoid draws less than an amp. It works like a charm for either a pump shottie or an AR style rifle. I am sure hunting rifles could be accommodated.

The downside is that the gun wouldn't be totally hidden. But you could easily disguise it by slipping a silicone rifle sock (in a subdued color) over the gun before placing it in the rack.

BTW, this lock sells for US$250, but you can find it discounted at least $80 if you spend a few minutes searching by model number. For example: .... http://www.sirennet.com/sc-934.html. Don't believe the "law enforcement only" label - that applies only to those locks with handcuff keys. I bought my lock from a police supply.

They list a limited number of gun types for these locks, but keep in mind that they are intended to carry a loaded gun and keep it inoperable (you couldn't chamber and fire a round with it in the lock). They are very adjustable and will hold just about any regular long gun .... though it may not prevent some fool from working the action with the gun secured.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:
John, that's awesome! Thank you for that info! I didn't know the name of these and couldn't find them before. You just made my day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom