Opinions wanted: Original Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

regretful

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, I know that I'm opening up a big can of worms, but hey sometimes you just want to know what others think. My situation is this. I have a 60 in pretty good shape. Just a touch of rust, seats in one piece, dash with a small 3 inch crack, and... a stock radio that still works, at least on the local FM stations. The sound isn't that good coming out of the stock speakers and the reception is spotty which may be due to the aftermarket antenna. Here's the question: would you leave it and listen to crappy sound, leave it and put a modern radio in the center console, pull it and send it to a radio guy for a conversion with the Aurora Design modules, or pull it and put in a modern radio in it's place?

FYI.......First time I replaced my OEM Radio was 20 years ago. 2nd time I went Modern three years ago and i installed this Pioneer. It has everything i wanted, touch screen, GPS Mapping, Voice Command for Texting Handfree calls, works with Iphone, CD & DVD Player, Remote, etc., and it came with a Backup Camera. My Radio Guy also installed an Amplifier under the Passenger's seat and installed the Amp Controller inside the Center Counsol Box. So, i was able to keep my OEM Speakers and it improved the sound (alot). My LC is a 1989 FJ62.

Amp ControllerSwitch.jpg

Amp.jpg

Stereo 1.jpg

I'd keep the stock radio in the dash, upgrade the speakers and stash a new stereo in a tuffy stereo console. You could even keep the stock speaker grills with these: FJ60 & FJ62 Front Speaker Adapters

Keeps the OEM look but you'll enjoy listening to good sound + bluetooth.

Those stock radios are being offered at a premium these days. I'm not sure if they are selling but they are worth a lot more than you might have thought. Whatever you do....if you take it out be sure to put it in a plastic tupperware box and store it someplace safe

Put something in it that’s modern and works. Save the original for when you join the car show circuit and stop using your cruiser for its intended purpose.
I lost my blue sport coat with the brass buttons and I don't own a fedora, so the show circuit is out of the question.

I'm in the keep the stock radio camp, send it out and upgrade it. Looks original, works like new.
Get it upgraded to link into your phone for music etc, keep the factory look of your rig

retro radio (www.retromanufacturing.com) makes some modern radios (bluetooth, USB, XM...) that look very similar to OEM equipment. If I was looking for a replacement, that's where I would be looking

I'd keep the stock radio in just for looks. I installed this: NVX Bluetooth Controller since I use my phone for everything. You can replace the door speakers and I added some 6 1/2" speakers to the cargo panels. They fit with plenty of room as there is a ton of space behind the panels above the wheel wells. Here's my install: FJ60 Bluetooth stereo

I'd keep the stock radio in just for looks. I installed this: NVX Bluetooth Controller since I use my phone for everything. You can replace the door speakers and I added some 6 1/2" speakers to the cargo panels. They fit with plenty of room as there is a ton of space behind the panels above the wheel wells. Here's my install: FJ60 Bluetooth stereo
I really like your setup but, I have no mp3s on my phone, still have vinyl and cds AND a cassette recorder. I really need to catch up.

I would keep the stock radio. Get an OEM antenna and put in new door speakers. It will be fine and you will enjoy it.
I installed a 3.5MM with a FM tuner that you dial a certain radio station and then you can hook up your accessory.
I listened to Satellite radio with an XM external unit plugged into the 3.5mm.

Well, the option with the new guts in the old radio is a no go. Checked out several of the radio shops that install the Aurora Design modules and to add FM, Bluetooth, and USB would cost over $700. And none of the ones I looked at restore none USA radios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom