Opinions wanted - CB Anetnna Location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am getting ready to put a CB in my cruiser. I've narrowed the location for the antenna down to two options, see picture.

Option 1 (blue) is on the passenger side rear corner of my bumper. I currently mount a flag here hence the spring. Antenna would not stick above the roof line. This location is out of the line of sight for my rear window but may not be the best for reception.

Option 2 (red) is on the rear bumper but centered on the vehicle and up about 2 feet. I am getting ready to build a mount for my hi-lift jack and could incorporate an antenna mount with it. This location is in the line of sight but would not be bad. It also gets the antenna about 2 feet above the roof line which may help with reception but could get hit by low branches.

I plan to run a firestick 48" antenna on a spring mount.

I'm torn so looking for some insight from the group. Open to other locations if people want to throw one out.

LC Rear.jpg

Last edited:
If you plan to run a ground plane antenna...you'd do best to get it above the roof line a couple of feet. Use the yodaTEQ mount, put a spring on the antenna. I hit mine with limbs occasionally...but it doesn't hurt anything, just springs back.

Coax8.jpg
Coax12.jpg

yodaTEQ.jpg

Last edited:
Yep @-Spike- is right on wtih the mount. Why firefly over firestick?
102" whip with 4" spring.
20191124_201223.jpg

Not sure if you have run a CB before but you will need to look at your ground, SWR, and understand that with setups from the rear you will be shooting most of your signal forward a little to the left and right, not much behind you.

Last edited:
Ok, so I am uneducated on CB systems. How is using this mount any different than my option 1? Other than getting the antenna up higher, which could potentially be accomplished with a taller antenna too, what makes this mounting location better than on the corner of the bumper?

Also, assuming I went with the TEQ mount, is there any advantage to drivers side vs passenger side?

Why firefly over firestick?

It's lighter, which means it doesn't sway back and forth as much (less momentum), which means the spring and antenna lasts longer. Probably not a concern for most people, I wheel a lot, so it matters to me.

OP- You said 4' antenna. If you want to use a longer one, the corner should work fine, although the antenna will beat the s*** out of your taillight and generally annoy you. The center mount will result in the antenna hitting the jack, which would annoy me and eventually damage the antenna.

In most cases there's no advantage to either side, but in your case the right side would likely be better, since the antenna would be least likely to hit your spare and other equipment.

FWIW there's also a mount available that attaches where the hatch strut bolts to the sill, higher than the Yotateq mount (may even be made by Yotateq as well, I don't remember). The problem there is routing the antenna cable. It can be routed through the taillight at the lower position, nearly invisible. There's no obvious way to hide the cable with the higher mount, although I'm sure someone has solved that issue.

Last edited:
I stuck mine on my front bumper. Before I had my RTT, after the RTT I thought about going to a 5ft one instead of the 4ft firestick, just to have it be the first thing to colide with overhead obstacles. Basically using it as a height stick. But then I stuck the 2m antenna on the roof so that sticks up way higher.

The top of the antenna needs to clear the top of your truck if you want good reception. After that it boils down to preferance.

Those locations are not optimal for various reasons. Something like this would be better- FJ80 New and improved Antenna Mounts v2.0

Also, I'd recommend the Firefly over the Firestik.

/this\ - on both accounts

we have FireFly antennas on the 80 and the LX - we actually went to the FireStik factory here in Phoenix and got to meet the owner, who came out to look at the trucks, told us what we needed, how to achieve the best signal, how to tune the antennas, and on and on . . .

he spent over 1.5 hours yakking with us, old skool guy - when we went back in to the building pay for all of our loot (antennas and connectors and cables for four trucks, so quite some $$$), his employees seemed to enjoy the fact that we got him out of their hair for a bit :lol:

Also, assuming I went with the TEQ mount, is there any advantage to drivers side vs passenger side?

not really, except routing the cable to the driver side mount is slightly shorter

we bought the two-fer (both side mounts together for $10 off), right side went on the 80, left side on the LX - I just have to remind myself when I drive either truck

we stuck a tennis ball onto the antenna so it doesn't damage paint when it bounces after encountering tree limbs of brush

definitely take the heavy duty spring mount, the medium is to soft and will have the antenna dancing hula circles at higher speeds on the highway - also, since the antennas don't fit into our garage, we run quick-disconnects on top of the spring connectors

Last edited:
I have mine in option 1 location, and it works great for trail use vehicle to vehicle. I'm not trying to talk to people miles away just other on the trail or in the immediate area, surprisingly enough it tune great, under 1 on all channels. This is the best picture I have of it but it mounts straight through the top plate of my bumper.

20190608_083811.jpg

I can not imagine that the difference between Firestick and Firefly is much. Weight is not really an issue. Cost is the only thing.

You will be fine with a 4' antenna. If you get something like the Firestick or Firefly the load coil should be above the roof line.

@Pascoscout You will need to tune your antenna or have someone do it for you.
If you find your antenna beating your truck up use a tennis ball around it.

The top of the antenna needs to clear the top of your truck if you want good reception. After that it boils down to preferance.

Try tuning your SWR with the coil below the roof line. Above is not so much for reception as it is transmit. You wont burn out a radio just listening to it.

This front bumper mount works for me.

ZBZloe.jpg

The truck has to fit in a garage with a opening that's about 6'8" tall. It's not a perfect mount, but solves things for me.

I'm running a Larsen 27 MHz NMO mount antenna that I tuned for CB on a Gamiviti fender mount. Super flexible and doesn't bounce off the body. Diamond 2m/70cm mounted on the opposite side.

Just another idea for you.

IMG_6372.jpg

A 102" SS whip is king. Nothing will work as well. I have run these for years on my 60 and 40. However, they are also a pain due to they length, flexiness, and their ability to whip about.

The bottom loaded NMO units like chap79 has is excellent as well. His hood mounted antenna is an excellent choice of antennas and location. IMHO, it is the best solution that is easy to live with.

I'm currently running a firestick off a rear hatch mount and it works fine for my purposes. After all, I'm only running a cheap Cobra 18 WX ST II radio. I basically only expect the CB to talk to people in my trail group and in close proximity. With that goal, almost anything would work. A ham radio serves the function of reaching out longer distances.

Thanks guys for all the options. Sounds like if I want to mount to the bumper I need to go with a 6ft antenna and if I want the TEQ mount I could drop to a 4ft. The strut mount could also work but I'd probably have to cut a hole in the truck somewhere to be able to hide the wire. I am really only concerned about short range vehicle to vehicle communication with this. Looking at a HAM or short wave license for future long range communications.

I had considered the firefly just for the lighter weight and less likely to move around. Definitely plan on a spring mount.

I've looked at the front bumper and front fender options and they aren't really for me. I get bothered by things in my line of sight while driving and I think I'd focus on it too much. This rig sees a good deal of around town and highway miles and I like to leave everything in place or I forget to install it the next time we go wheeling.

Will make a final decision in the next week or two and post some results.

Thanks again and happy thanksgiving!

Mine is 4' also but I have it mounted on the top of an ARB bumper which puts the top of the antenna above the vehicle cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom