Opinions wanted: adding e-lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had good success with ARB. Get a dual compressor, a small tank in old spare tire area, couplers for air hoses at front and rear bumper. Then you got lockers and a on board air system.
Ok. I think I'd lean that way because I intend to do onboard air anyway.

If you wait for the perfect rig with lockers it is like waiting on the perfect time to have kids... Just do it and be happy with what you find. I have 4 80s right now and only one is factory locked. I wouldn't get rid of any of them. They sell aftermarket lockers all day brand new. They don't sell new 80s.

has adding in the factory diff locked indicators on the dash been done in conjunction with Eaton E lockers? did you utilize the factory selector switch or some Toyota OE style switches from CH4X4? personally i like the appearance of factory with upgraded aftermarket performance

has adding in the factory diff locked indicators on the dash been done in conjunction with Eaton E lockers? did you utilize the factory selector switch or some Toyota OE style switches from CH4X4? personally i like the appearance of factory with upgraded aftermarket performance

Question 1:

A non-factory equipped Cruiser just lacks the bulbs in the dash panel (for illumination), those can be added.

Diff Lock Lights.jpeg

Question 2:

The factory selector switch can be used with aftermarket lockers to activate them. Takes some wiring and relays of course.

Lockers.jpg

You might want to check this thread out:

I'd like to mention though, there is no upgraded aftermarket performance setting up your e-lockers this way. Your 80 will perform the same as any OEM triple locked 80 - given all parts are functioning.

Last edited:
As others have told you, yes, you can use the factory switch, but if you use the switches that come with the lockers you have the added advantage of being able to lock the front diff without locking the rear.

I've had good success with ARB. Get a dual compressor, a small tank in old spare tire area, couplers for air hoses at front and rear bumper. Then you got lockers and a on board air system.
Ok. I think I'd lean that way because I intend to do onboard air anyway.
If you've already got onboard air planned, air lockers are a good way to go. If your budget allows, and you can source them, I'd recommend the TJM Pro lockers over the ARB. The ARB lockers are still good, but the TJM Pro lockers will age better. The ARBs have more points of failure where air can leak, and are more likely to have problems with that as the years go by. The piston design in the TJM Pro is just better engineering IMO, and a better option if you can get them for longevity. For myself, I decided to go with Harrop ELockers, but a preference to avoid onboard air was one of the motivating factors behind that decision.

2 ideas I did not see listed. First is buy a really nice unlocked rig and, IF and WHEN available, swap in a complete factory 3x system from a donor/part out rig. Second is install an auto locker in the rear axle. I have not seen recent prices, but probably under $400. Several good brands to choose from. Not real hard to install. Cheap and easy way to get about 90% of the locker you will ever need. We have done a lot of both setups in our shop. I have been wheeling for nearly 50 years and have been around a lot of different locker setups. Most require some amount of maintenance/repair. I bought a 3x locked 80 13 years ago and I have no regrets. I wheel often, I wheel hard part of the time, and I tow 5000/6000# offroad for trail repair. My OEM lockers have worked just fine so far, at 268xxx miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom