Opinions wanted: adding e-lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COS80

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi, all. First post outside of my local club's forum. I'm potentially in the market for a LC to use as a dedicated off-roader, and one has come up locally for a decent price and condition, but it lacks front and rear lockers. I found Eaton E-lockers run about $1,350 ea. Assuming equivalency in total price and condition for a) an "unlocked" 80 plus Eatons, and b) a factory "triple locked" 80, is there a reason to go one way or the other (in other words, would it be a mistake not to hold out for one that's triple locked)?

I've looked around a bit and haven't come across a "how-to" on installing these, so I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. Also curious what special tools are needed.

TIA and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

If the cruiser is clean and has good maintenance history, buy it. Don’t wait for a rig with lockers. Lockers are overrated for most people. Of course it all depends on your use case. For me, I found I don’t need my lockers 99.9% of the time but then again, that is my use case. My use case varies though and this year, I think I’ll use my lockers more. Doubt it, but we will see.

As for adding lockers aftermarket, please search the forum. There are many, many threads on the topic. Use google and put “Ih8mud” in quotes and you should be able to get close.

Hi @Der Aussenseiter … welcome to the 80 series tech forum. You’re in the right place.

I agree with @FMC80. If you found a well maintained, mostly rust free, truck for a descent price, I wouldn’t let the lack of factory lockers stop you from buying it.

Lockers are a bonus, but if not locked, you can always add them later. Better to find a good condition, well maintained truck.

Since you’re in Colorado, you’ll likely be on difficult rocky trails at some point, which is one place lockers are really appreciated.

I’ve run both factory and ARB lockers and found them both good.

The ARB’s engage and disengage fast, but require air line maintenance. Buy a large ARB compressor and you can use it to air up your tires after running trails.

The factory lockers take longer to engage. They’re getting old and tired on my truck. Replacement locker motors are expensive. But if one fails, 20 minutes and a screw driver is all it take to lock your diff.

Installing an after market locker is a fairly difficult job. While you’re in there, I’d consider re-gearing to 4.88’s for 35’s or 5.29’s for 37’s. There is a guy, Zuk, down in Arizona who comes highly recommend for installing gears. One of the best. You pull the thirds out and send them to him. Recommend

Zuk - Ken
Top notch gear setup
Chandler Arizona
Toyota Gear Install Eaton - http://gearinstalls.com
gearinstalls@gmail.com
480-406-2283

Last edited:
I'm one of those that wanted factory lockers, but settled on the right shape 80, instead of waiting. But that was 24 yrs ago and I'm so glad I did, reading some of the stories here on Mud. Got Harrop e-lockers installed by "Zuk" 5 yrs ago at the same time as a gear change. (BTW, he does excellent work and is also a great guy) And some will probably chime in as to how other lockers engage quicker and are superior for technical wheeling. But that doesn't bother me since the 80 is not the "el primo" technical wheeler because of it's size and weight. If I did that, I'd be wheeling with a buggy. Actually IMHO, the Harrop, which are Eaton e lockers, are superior for all around wheeling since they are virtually maintenance free, don't rely on air lines and compressor and nothing to wear out. Plus they're not set up like the OEM which are sequence sensitive. Meaning you need the CDL engaged 1st, then you can engage rear, then you can engage front. Personally, Iike being in charge, not a microprocessor. About the only thing the Eaton requires is that you use a quality gear lube and maintain it, which for most of us is common sense. With all that said, I'm kinda glad, after all these years of 80 ownership that my perfect 80, back in December of 1999, was not triple locked.

I've looked around a bit and haven't come across a "how-to" on installing these, so I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. Also curious what special tools are needed.
It's usually left to the pros because you need to be familiar with some of the steps for setting up gears.

What do your friends drive offroad? An unlocked 80 is still a beast. You might not need lockers or maybe just a rear one.

If you're planning to regear, I think aftermarket lockers are a favorite, but not an easy answer. Depends on what trucks are for sale in your area and how they're priced.

It's usually left to the pros because you need to be familiar with some of the steps for setting up gears.
I hadn't thought of that... the ring gear has to come out with the old diff, so you really may as well do gears at the same time, and it looks like this Zuk is only doing local drop-offs now, so that's another $3k in local pricing. That really kind of answers the question - triple locked is still the way to go.

I hadn't thought of that... the ring gear has to come out with the old diff, so you really may as well do gears at the same time, and it looks like this Zuk is only doing local drop-offs now, so that's another $3k in local pricing. That really kind of answers the question - triple locked is still the way to go.
Yea, factory lockers are great...until you have to use them.
Get the best truck you can get in the best shape you can find. The youngest one is now 26 years old. Drop in Eatons or ARBs while doing a gear change. You'll be happier in the long run.

Yea, factory lockers are great...until you have to use them.
Get the best truck you can get in the best shape you can find. The youngest one is now 26 years old. Drop in Eatons or ARBs while doing a gear change. You'll be happier in the long run.
Meaning the factory ones are poorly designed, or that they are likely worn out due to age, or what?

Meaning the factory ones are poorly designed, or that they are likely worn out due to age, or what?
There isn’t anything wrong with factory lockers. Sometimes they can be slow to actuate. There are pros and cons to electric vs mechanical vs air lockers etc. there are plenty of arguments and threads in this forum about it.

The question for you is, do you want or need lockers.The general public desires the factory lockers. Why? It’s trendy. It’s so they can say they too have a factory 3x locked LC. When in reality no one gives a shît. By the way, I have factory lockers in my 94, ahem.

Anyway, find the best 80 your money can buy and if it comes with lockers, great. If it doesn’t, great.

Meaning that the factory lockers are somewhat pathetic compared to ARBs. The design of the rear has very coarse splines and it takes a lot of rotation to get it to lock/unlock.
As someone who uses lockers fairly often when wheeling, I find them maddening. My old 91 had ARBs front and rear and it was never an issue.
It's your truck and your choice, but lockers would not be a criteria for me.

They are nice to have, but dont get caught up in the "triple locked hype" and pay the tax for a door code. With todays aftermarket support for pneumatic and electric lockers, especially if youre going to be re gearing, I just think there are better options. I had a set of non locked axles I wish I would have built and gone that route. After regearing/rebuilds and a new rear actuator to the tune of about $500, I still have a slow and somewhat moody rear locker. Never had any issues with a factory front one, so no complaints there.

IMHO, lockers for most of us are really used or needed, maybe 1 - 2 % of off road travel. Usually over an obstical or though a particularly gnarly section. Granted there are some of us that spend a lot of their time on trails like the Rubicon, Johnson Valley or Hell's Revenge, but that's a different story. So for those just getting into 80's, you might want to get your priorities in order. A winch can help out when even lockers aren't enough (provided there are trees or other anchor points available). Lockers are just another tool in the "traction toolbox". If you've wheeled before with other brands or models, such as pickups, the 80 is so versatile it will provide the performance that can make you want to throw rocks at previous rigs you owned. And an 80 with lockers is - well - I'll just say, has awesome possibilities. But rather than worry about lockers, I'd just concentrate on landing the best overall shape rig you can afford, regardless of lockers. Because, as you've seen, they can be added later. And considering the age of our 80's, the chance that an OEM locker equipped rig will need attention is high which can be expensive and/or annoying. Correctly installing a new set of Eaton e-lockers or ARB air lockers should give more satisfaction than a wonky set of 25 yr old OEM's. Not that OEM's aren't reliable, it's just that they need to be well maintained and frequently used to be reliable.

Assuming equivalency in total price and condition for a) an "unlocked" 80 plus Eatons, and b) a factory "triple locked" 80, is there a reason to go one way or the other (in other words, would it be a mistake not to hold out for one that's triple locked)?
Yes. Imo, the reason is the better time-to-trail and total cost to ownership of a 3xl rig (K294) vs a non-K294.
Plus resale value.
And imo it's still worth holding out for a factory 3xl rig at this point in time.

Pedigree of the 80 trumps all.

An unlocked 80 in primo shape, I’d smile & buy.

It also would motivate you to do both axle services if unlocked while adding Eatons, but I’m making a huge jump thinking you’re doing your own wrenching - if shop labor I really can’t speak to which option.

If you buy labor, I’d get super picky on locked / open after making sure any candidate is worth the $$$.

Since you’re in CO, maybe ask Slee if you’re after a investment level 80.

Meaning you'll get opinions for and against at polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

I've had two Landcruisers with factory lockers. I like them.
They never failed to lock when needed.

Sometimes they take a while to lock. This is the nature of the beast due to the physical number of coarse locking teeth.
They can take a while to unlock. Driver knowledge and technique plays a part here. Unload the driver train, they unlock. Keep driving with pressure on driveshafts, diffs etc, they aren't going to release.

They need maintenance. The actuators can be prone to water ingress, and then can seize up.

The rear locker needs a locker specific axle on one side. These can fail (rare, but it happens) replacement options are used ( hard to find) or aftermarket (expensive).

I have a used set of factory lockers in my garage, and have an ongoing debate in my head whether to retrofit them (have done this before, and it's a bit of a mission) or sell them and install ARBs.

The negatives above are slowly and surely outweighing the positives.

If I didn't have factory locked diffs (from previous cruiser) I wouldn't even contemplate them. I'd go straight to ARBs (when/if I can justify the cost).

A well driven stock Land Cruiser will go a long way without lockers.

Hi, all. First post outside of my local club's forum. I'm potentially in the market for a LC to use as a dedicated off-roader, and one has come up locally for a decent price and condition, but it lacks front and rear lockers. I found Eaton E-lockers run about $1,350 ea. Assuming equivalency in total price and condition for a) an "unlocked" 80 plus Eatons, and b) a factory "triple locked" 80, is there a reason to go one way or the other (in other words, would it be a mistake not to hold out for one that's triple locked)?

TIA and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.
Forgetting about stock lockers. They were on something like 5 to 7% of all Cruisers. So right there, you’re ruling out 93 to 95% all cruisers ever made. Not a real good idea with a vehicle that’s scarce to begin with, and getting scarcer (and more expensive) as time goes on. Especially in light of the fact that you can just install Harrop Eatons, the only option that is if anything even better than stock. Add to this the fact that you can buy and install those later, with see if your money on the purchase price now, and it’s a no-brainer. Unless you happen to trip over a screaming deal, but that’s not the way to bet…

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for all the opinions. I think what I've learned from this is that no, there's no reason to hold out for factory lockers, and "unlocked" options should stay on the table. I'll just make the cost of the upgrade a part of each consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom