Opinions - tech ?'s regarding LX450 w/pics, FS locally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at this thread. I have been lurking for quite some time and have been searching locally for an 80 series/LX450. I found a '97 LX450 for sale locally, and was hoping I could get some opinions from you guys as to anything that you notice in these pictures that I should be aware of, as I am no mechanic. Here is a list of specs on the vehicle:

$11,500
1997 LX450
115,000 mi

3rd owner who does most of his own maintenance and builds buggies on the side, first was an easy driver but was involved in a collision that required repair of the passenger side frame horn (pictured), second was the owner of a 4x4 cruiser shop in Tennessee who added most of the mods

Interior condition is fair, leather needs some TLC as does the carpet but other than that everything works, no factory lockers

Paint needs work, is peeling on the hood but nothing too bad, no rust on the exterior

ARB winch bullbar, no winch
ARB side steps (welded on, are they usually? I cannot find much info on these) with side rails along fenders, heard they are rather useless?
ARB Safari Snorkel
Custom JKcustoms.com rear bumper w/tire and gas can carriers
Custom one-off skyjacker lift, I don't know too much about this but the current owner told me that the 2nd owner (a friend of his) had the lift made by skyjacker, custom including 4-5" of lift, springs, and track bars among all the other necessities I assume, it also has OME shocks
35" Toyo MT's, basically new on black steelies
K&N filter and new exhaust, tucked up out of the way

Now for what concerns me, in one picture it looks like there is rust on the frame, but I spose it could be mud as I was blindly taking pictures in the dark. Also, the front passenger frame horn has been welded from the accident it was in with the first owner, and is the only damage on the car. The car ran fine, has had some type of fan clutch replacement (I think) and other minor maintenance, but no head gasket or axle rebuilds yet. I will have to take that into consideration.

Please give me your honest opinion about the truck, and anything that sticks out to you that would need to be fixed immediately or given attention in the next year or so. It will be my DD and I will have to figure repairs in the price of the vehicle.

I will have the truck sent to JKcustoms to have a full inspection before purchase.

Pictures: http://webspace.utexas.edu/ack59/lexus.html

Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

Your webpage is asking for a Username/Password. Can't see the pics.

That is definitely rust, but it appears to be only surface rust. There's more dramatic rusting on some of the bolts that I noticed, such as on the axles.

Seen this one before, it was in Texas. Seller posted it on the board a couple months(?) ago. I'll look for the thread . . .

only obvious technical error in the suspension is the lack of sway bar drop blocks on the front. At full droop the drive shaft will hit it.

How does the truck drive? Any vibrations?

Good catch, it definitely looks like it is missing them. I didn't notice any vibes when I was driving but I didn't take it up to highway speed either. I will be driving it again, what else do you think I should be looking for while driving?

Hmm, this rig looks familiar....

Do you know one of the previous owners?

That is definitely rust, but it appears to be only surface rust. There's more dramatic rusting on some of the bolts that I noticed, such as on the axles.

Any downside other than being the obvious PITA to remove those bolts if I ever needed to?

Any downside other than being the obvious PITA to remove those bolts if I ever needed to?

It depends on how bad it is. I honestly couldn't say how big a problem it was without seeing it. If it was rusty enough to pose a structural problem, then you'd have issues.

Anders - thanks for taking the time to find the old classified, as that is the same truck I am looking at. Interesting that he has been trying to sell it for so long... I think I will be taking the truck up to JKcustoms for a full inspection, as I really do not have the know how to properly inspect a 4x4 of this age. My biggest concern is the frame repair on the front horn.

Is the ARB Bull Bar bolted on? There should be 6 bolts per side on the frame horns (2 top, 2 bottom, 2 on the side) IIRC and I don't see any in the pics you posted. Also in another pic looks likes a bent rod but maybe that is the lighting.

That seems like a lot of $$ for a rig in that shape even given some of the mods that have been done. If it had working factory lockers maybe.

Not sure of you're area but maybe this is the going rate for rigs there?

I noticed some of the ARB mounting bolts are missing also Corsair23. It is hard to see if there are any in the top of the frame. That might be a problem if wheeling or in an acccident.

Is the ARB Bull Bar bolted on? There should be 6 bolts per side on the frame horns (2 top, 2 bottom, 2 on the side) IIRC and I don't see any in the pics you posted. Also in another pic looks likes a bent rod but maybe that is the lighting.

That seems like a lot of $$ for a rig in that shape even given some of the mods that have been done. If it had working factory lockers maybe.

Not sure of you're area but maybe this is the going rate for rigs there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom