opinions on what to use please!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
hi guys. I am up in the air about what tranny to use, maybe some of you can help. I have a 77 fj40 with a 350 4:11 gears and will be running 35's I have a sm 465 already and was going to use it but then decided to go with a nv4500 but that might cost me close to 3K when it's all said and done. this rig is going to be my DD and will see about 10 miles of highway daily, and then the 4 hr trips to moab and the 2 hour trips for camping and hunting. anyway I'm needing to know if the 5 spd is worth the initial cost I am doing a frame off so I have a blank slate right now but am ready to start mocking things up. if I use the 5 spd I won't be able to mock up for at least 8 months. thanks for your input!!!:cheers:

Sounds like you are trying to do two projects at one time the 77' and 78'. I would get one on the road with what I have. If it is still important to you to use the nv4500 down the road, then do it.

I switched from sm465 to nv4500 when I replaced my tired carbed 350 with a rebuilt 350 TBI. To me the difference is well worth it. Granny gear for wheeling, nice 2:3:4 split for town and country, and the overdrive is a blessing - 70+ mph all day long.

no, I'm not trying to do two at once I just couldn't pass up the last one I got for like 350 bucks and it is in way better shape. now I have the parts for 2 and will build the other one later on and make it more for the hardcore stuff. thanks for the input so far, let's hear some more. spend the cash for an nv4500 or use my sm465???????:popcorn:

bikinnotdykin said:
no, I'm not trying to do two at once I just couldn't pass up the last one I got for like 350 bucks and it is in way better shape. now I have the parts for 2 and will build the other one later on and make it more for the hardcore stuff. thanks for the input so far, let's hear some more. spend the cash for an nv4500 or use my sm465???????:popcorn:

You saved $100. in two hours so you might as well use it for the longer trans.

"my "new" 40!!

here's some pics of my $450 frame off project.

Last edited:
With 4.11's and 35's, you still ought to be able to cruise as fast as you dare with a 4spd (465).
If you're gonna do the nv4500, I'd go with 4.88's.

I have two friends that use theirs as DD's. One has an sm 465 the other one a TH350. Both of them wish they had overdrive, I have a 700r4 in mine, doesn't get much highway use, but it will easily do 70 on the interstate and I take it to Moab every year plus a couple of trips to Monte Christo or down to play in Lehi.

I would stick with the 465 personally. The overdrive of the NV would be nice occasionally, but I don't think it's worth the expense. If you've got $3K to burn, I can think of several other things on the truck that I would look at before the tranny.

My FJ40 had a SM420 that I daily drove with 4.88's and 37's for years. I was doing 60+ miles a day and frequently driving 4+ hours to Moab. I could cruise at about 75mph @ 3K rpm which was plenty.

If you're truck us how you want it more or less, I'd save that 3 grand and be better off.

bikinnotdykin said:
hi guys. I am up in the air about what tranny to use, maybe some of you can help. I have a 77 fj40 with a 350 4:11 gears and will be running 35's I have a sm 465 already and was going to use it but then decided to go with a nv4500 but that might cost me close to 3K when it's all said and done. this rig is going to be my DD and will see about 10 miles of highway daily, and then the 4 hr trips to moab and the 2 hour trips for camping and hunting. anyway I'm needing to know if the 5 spd is worth the initial cost I am doing a frame off so I have a blank slate right now but am ready to start mocking things up. if I use the 5 spd I won't be able to mock up for at least 8 months. thanks for your input!!!

Ok...Here are my suggestions

The '77 is going to be your daily driver and the '78 (someday) will be for the hardcore stuff correct? The '77 as it sits is in better shape (body wise) than the '78 correct? Do you want to keep either of them somewhat stock/original? My guess is no based on your statements so I am making suggestions based on that.

'77 FJ40: Use the aluminum tub you already bought, put in a NV4500, V8, 4.11s (maybe 4.56s), and go with 33s. Make this your DD and weekend Cruiser for the easy stuff. Given the frame blasting you've already done and other plans, I would finish this one off second making it your 'dream' Cruiser

'78 FJ40: Use the body from the '77 and do the bare min you need to for the body repairs (it is going to get dinged right?). Put the SM465 and 35's on it (with correct gearing). Use this as your trial/learning vehicle for painting so when you get to the '77 you can apply the lessons learned. Finish this one first and use it as intended. If it gets a dent or scratch etc. you won't worry as that was the intent. And, with an SM465, the 35's (or larger if you go SOA), and the correct gearing I think your highway trips would be tolerable. If not, tow it on a dolly with that big Blazer :)

Good luck!!

ok I think I'm talked into putting an nv4500 in it. I found the whole kit with a spankin new tranny for 3500K does anyone know where I could possibly find a better deal?? the tranny itself is 2200K I thought about buying a used one but am wary from all the hopped up diesel trucks working the trannys so hard.

oh and it looks like I'll be able to get my setup around february so I'll be working on the steel tub untill then. man I wish I had a garage, I'll be using my friends pad again!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom