Opinions on this kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally to the point where I'm ready to slow down on the teardown of my cruiser and ready to start buying parts. Anyone have an opinion on this kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front-Disc-Brake-Kit-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-FJ45-FJ55_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ8013545232QQrdZ1

I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't have the ability to fab parts and whatnot, so this looks like it will work well for me, but I just want to double check with the masses and see what they think. Thanks all!

dont do it. go wtih minitruck parts instead. stronger birfs and hubs will be the benefits. prob cheaper too. direct bolt on, except you need to do minimal grinding of the knuckle inside. there are a bunch of writeups on the swap.

-Dustin

I just did the mini conversion a few months ago and it was not that difficult. More messy than anything. Either route you will still have to adjust the shims and make sure your preload is set correctly. Like the others said, you should be able to find a find a complete mini axle for about $150-200. Checkout the marlin board, there are axles for sale there all the time.

also, the only modifications i made were a slight trim to the backing plate and grinding the lower portion of the axle until the newer birfs would clear my axle. pretty simple. where are you located?

pass...

Tezmac,

Didn't you see the cautionary "This kit was designed and sold for Off-Road Use Only" statement in that auction?

It means that the seller is trying to cover his ass in case something in the kit breaks on a road and results in an injury/death accident in which a careful investigation of the involved vehicle(s) WILL be done to find cause and fix liability.

I'd take that to mean that there is no DOT approval of this kit for on road use first, and that the seller may know of prior incidences of failure or does not have a full belief in the strength of the parts he offers second. Or, use at YOUR own risk.

While it can be said that anyone who modifies a vehicle in any way does so at his or her own risk, at least if known parts, approved and proven in similar uses, are incorporated into a modification there is a reduced level of risk to the person making the modification.

Just another way to look at it...and all IMO.

My roll cage isn't 'DOT approved'. That doesn't mean it's worse than the factory bar.

I'd be willing to bet the HFS bumper on your '40 isn't 'DOT Approved' as a safety device either.

The mini truck swap is also not 'DOT Approved'.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like I'll be passing on it and Ill stick with my original plan of using the minitruck parts.

"Tezmac,
Didn't you see the cautionary "This kit was designed and sold for Off-Road Use Only" statement in that auction?"

I did catch that, I was trying to figure out how he was trying to cover his arse, but I couldnt figure it out.

"where are you located?"

Where Bugs shoulda made a left! Albuquerque :O)

Advent said:
I'd be willing to bet the HFS bumper on your '40 isn't 'DOT Approved' as a safety device either.

Huh? I've got HFS springs, but no bumper.

Guess you bought that kit, eh? Suit yourself.

Maybe you don't know what "IMO" means?

honk said:
Didn't you see the cautionary "This kit was designed and sold for Off-Road Use Only" statement in that auction?

i haven't seen a kit around that doesn't say that, be it suspension, brakes, etc

honk said:
Huh? I've got HFS springs, but no bumper.

Guess you bought that kit, eh? Suit yourself.

Maybe you don't know what "IMO" means?

It was late. I mistook 'HFS Springs" as "HFS Bumper".

My '40 came with front disks. I have put on rear discs using that company's 'non-DOT-approved' brackets though. Was one of the best mods on my '40.

I was just pointing out that just because something says it's 'for off road use only' doesn't mean it's not safe. Look at Metaltech's site. Big warning exactly like that right on the front.

Hey Tezmac, everyone talks about the "mini truck" disc conversion, but keep in mind that the knuckles and other goodies from FJ60 and FJ62 wagons work just fine and are easier to find and thus probably cheaper. It's the same conversion. It's a good mod that you can do without being Mr. Goodwrench. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom