Opinions on this 93 please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That one looks about average, If you are watching Facebook marketplace, there are a lot of cruisers for sale now. Nothing seems to be moving have seen 2 locker rigs in nor cal for sale under 8k and they are not moving. The free money from the government has stopped and free rent is over. I would give it a month or two and watch the market prices will go back to normal. PM costs money and parts have gotten more expensive, any 80 is at least 23 years old and unless it has been gone thru all the rubber, seals, gaskets are 23 years old.

If you are going to take on an 80 my advice is find the nicest garaged cruiser you can, they are out there and they donā€™t bring that much of a premium compared to he cost of paint, seals and interior trim. lockers are nice but can be added, a real clean 93-95 with cloth interior would be my choiceā€¦.

For example the trim for the base of the windows outside is 800$ if you get a dealā€¦even if you find a nice garaged cruiser I would budget 2k in parts to bring it up to 100% reliableā€¦.80 series cruiser parts are not cheepā€¦
Please link me to the 2 clean locked California 80s for less than $8k that have been sitting for months, I would like to buy them both.

Yeah OP just buy it. Just a rust free body and frame are worth a fair bit alone. Would make a good candidate for diesel swap when and if the old 1fz dies.

And @RAYJON I'd be curious to see these locked rigs for under 8k also. The only FZJ in that price range I could find in NoCal was this pretty clean-looking unlocked 96.

I would just buy it as well. I look all most daily using Search Tempest & Facebook the only Reg I see in that price range are 91-92 FE3s
I'm with the others that are saying that the prices are not going back down. Overlanding has exploded, just google the best overland reg and a Land cruiser will come up every time.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I doubt prices will go down significantly for the 80 series.. they're not making any more of them. Sure you can buy a new Bronco or Rubicon.. only to watch all the electronics sh@t the bed the minute you take it on the trail. Then there's just the classic Cruiser cool factor: look at the 60s prices over the last 15 years, recessions and gas prices notwithstanding.

Also, I'm not sure the stimulus is such a big factor for the Cruiser market.. that was like $3200 total? That's a drop in the bucket, especially for collectors and would-be overlanders who are driving a lot of the demand. Gas prices are not that relevant either for the same reason. Your argument would make sense if people were buying these to be DDs or grocery getters, but the J80 is pretty squarely in the enthusiast market at this point.

No I'm not an economist or Cruiser guru, but I just think they days are gone where these 80s like the one posted by OP were given away for $2500.. maybe others have a different take?
The unemployment stimulus was 2400 a month plus no rent or house payment. I know the manager at the local 4 wheel parts and they were booked out 5 months on installs, it was like nothing he had ever seen, people that work normal jobs having an extra 4-5k a month more on unemployment than they did working. They were out of stock on everything. the jeep market here locally went absolutely insane, you couldnā€™t go up wheeling mid week because of all the people camping and trail riding..

take that money out of the economy and itā€™s going to get weird. and it will totally affect cruiser prices along with the prices of other things. Now I and many others donā€™t ever plan to sell my cruisers so if I pay a little extra to get or make it what I want ok, I have been stocking up on parts as it see a wave of price increases coming.

now this is just my opinion and I may be wrong, we will wait and see.

Please link me to the 2 clean locked California 80s for less than $8k that have been sitting for months, I would like to buy them both.

Here are 3.. the 3rd is a trail rig..but great for a beater..

good luckā€¦neither are moving and the first one has been listed twice..

Last edited:

Is this a joke? These are your examples? No kidding theyā€™re not moving.

Back to the original topic. I think the OP should negotiate it as much as he can or is comfortable with. Iā€™d buy the cruiser for $6k but I would do so knowing I should pay less.

Here are 3..

Those two utterly roached sleds are not indicative of any sort of market turn down. Give me a break.

Cloth material changed in 96 and wasnā€™t as good a quality as 93-95, most 93-95 with cloth the seat still look great, the 97 we had with cloth stained easily and did not wear well, my detail guy hated it but I had 3 small kids at the time.. would not have another cruiser with leather I live on the edge of the desert in nevada..

The BMW mill seems like an odd choice at best. Don't get me wrong, they made some sweet inline 6 motors back in the day, but they were never anyone's idea of a rugged truck motor.
Yeah that seems to be the consensus. If it turns out better than the Rover V8, I'd say it's a win.
Trouble is we gotta wait n see. :(

Those two utterly roached sleds are not indicative of any sort of market turn down. Give me a break
Just wait, and watch. I get alerts daily of price reductions on cruisers I am watching on facebook market place, you asked for locker rigs under 8k and I found 3 in 2 minutes no they are not low mile mall crawlers, but they are out there, where you live 80's may be rare but here they are everywhere, 20 years ago it's what every ski mom drove.. (now it's 200's).

Same stuff, inflated prices was happening 06-08 with house refi money, (credit expansion is still money printing) there is always a hard pull back after money expansion.. and the fed has been printing like crazy. So we are in for a pullback.

This will effect the prices of a non essential items ....Aka old cruisers..
Is this a joke? These are your examples? No kidding theyā€™re not moving.

Back to the original topic. I think the OP should negotiate it as much as he can or is comfortable with. Iā€™d buy the cruiser for $6k but I would do so knowing I should pay less.

Just wait, and watch. I get alerts daily of price reductions on cruisers I am watching on facebook market place, you asked for locker rigs under 8k and I found 3 in 2 minutes no they are not low mile mall crawlers, but they are out there, where you live 80's may be rare but here they are everywhere, 20 years ago it's what every ski mom drove.. (now it's 200's).

Same stuff, inflated prices was happening 06-08 with house refi money, (credit expansion is still money printing) there is always a hard pull back after money expansion.. and the fed has been printing like crazy. So we are in for a pullback.

This will effect the prices of a non essential items ....Aka old cruisers..
I am not saying prices may or may not fall, I am saying those trucks you linked are not evidence of it in any way. Beat up, roached out, rebuilt title POS 80s have always been cheap and have always sat. Totally irrelevant and not representative of the market in any way.

Yeah everyone seems to think their 80 is worth what fully restored ones go for. Mine had actually been sitting for a while when they got it, but they started out asking 15k, then dropped to 10k, after which I talked them down to 8. I still think $6,000 would have been the right price, but it was right up the road from me and they wouldn't budge. I plan to keep it for a while and slowly upgrade, so I'm not too worried about the market at this point.

And those garaged creampuffs that were referred to earlier are going on BaT for well over 10k for the most part these days. I suppose you could still find some non-online old lady with who doesn't know what she was driving to church every Sunday, but that'd be something of a miracle these days.

IMO any running clean title 80 that isn't a rust bucket for under 10k is a good buy these days.

Appreciate the insight all. I think $6k is fair for the one Iā€™m looking at, even though itā€™ll need a little work here and there. Obviously Iā€™d rather get it for less, but the owner says heā€™s into for $5,500 and just wants to make a little money. He wasnā€™t planning on selling it until I knocked on his door so I donā€™t think heā€™s going to budge on price very much.

If anything, those horrendous examples RAYJON linked shows you that youā€™re probably getting an adequate deal at $6k
Agreed. This thing isnā€™t beautiful by any means and I really donā€™t like red, but itā€™s not rusted or as beat up as the others that were posted. And I really donā€™t care about triple lockers anyway at the moment so Iā€™m not taking that into account.

I see a new front bumper, maybe new carpet, and a raptor lined exterior in the future along with some maintenance.

Either, you want an 80, or you donā€™t. Afraid of over spending on a certain vehicle? Afraid of commitment? Guess what? You over spent the day you came to Mud and began researching a vehicle that isnā€™t essential transportation. I didnā€™t buy an old Landcruiser to save money. So you buy this rig for $5500 but mud opinions say $4500 or 5,000 or 2500. Whatā€™s the difference? Your talking about peanuts compared to how much you will potentially spend on that truck once your future addiction has you by the balls.

Either, you want an 80, or you donā€™t. Afraid of over spending on a certain vehicle? Afraid of commitment? Guess what? You over spent the day you came to Mud and began researching a vehicle that isnā€™t essential transportation. I didnā€™t buy an old Landcruiser to save money. So you buy this rig for $5500 but mud opinions say $4500 or 5,000 or 2500. Whatā€™s the difference? Your talking about peanuts compared to how much you will potentially spend on that truck once your future addiction has you by the balls.
Very good point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom