Opinions on this 3x Locked '94 For Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't rule out eBay with your budget. Of course it's buyer beware, but you might be able to ask people here to go take a look during the auction to mitigate some of those concerns. I know people here like to poo poo eBay as being full of rip off artists(there are some, for sure), but if you want a good selection of nice trucks, they're on there. In my opinion, you are shopping for the low end of the upper tier of 80s that are out there to buy. A few grand might be more than you would have spent if you are driving for the best price, but given that you are already thinking about a motor swap, I have a feeling your wallet can handle it. ;)

I will say though, as a guy that really can appreciate a well fed 80, I would be turned off by a motor swap, especially if the platform I was starting with was a $12k+ vehicle. The ones that are still commanding that type of price tag are the ones that will be worth a lot more in the future. Just look at the prices for the other series and how they have went up over the last 10 years and then consider how much buzz the 80 Series is generating because many people consider it to be the finest vehicle that Toyota has ever made and you can drive it as a normal, everyday car without feeling like you are driving an old hay wagon. I don't know if they will ever get back to or surpass their initial sticker price, but I could easily see the market double, especially if gas prices remain relatively low.

If I could pick any color I’d pick beige metallic first, then white.
TRUTH!
ext.png

Too bad you missed out on @tominboise’s 80 a week ago. It was an incredible rig. Well sorted out. And a damn steal for what he listed it for.

I talked with the OP this morning, seems he wants something without lockers so he can install Harrop lockers.

@shmabs - It was a pleasure to visit with you this morning. Thank you for all of the info on the truck. I’m still vacillating over the Harrop lockers. I just didn’t want you to pass up a potential buyer on account of me.

Good deals dont last long you need to be on it.
Listed at 5pm and the new owner was at the Phoenix airport at 8:30am the next morning.

For Sale - AZ White LX450 Lockers F&R 100% Original 100% Baselined Unmolested

Agreed. I almost booked a flight to Portland for this one: 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80

That paint is really pretty.

@shmabs -

Agreed. I almost booked a flight to Portland for this one: 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80

That paint is really pretty.

What does "engine rebuilt 6k ago" mean? The cost of a full rebuild with OEM parts would likely cost about half what they are asking for the whole truck. Do they just mean a head job? That would run about $2k in parts and another ~ $600 to have the valves done, the head pressure tested and the head planed.

It also makes me leery of their knowledge of the truck that the damage multipliers are still on the truck.

The tires are a $1000 item, so that is nice to have taken care of if you like those tires. The interior looks real nice.

I would want to know more about the paint job though. Doing a full, professional, paint job on an 80 could easily cost $6k. There are some threads out there where people did them. There was a guy, forget the thread, that did a full restore on a 40th in Sage and took everything off. His paint was incredible. That truck sold for north of $30k though and everything, I mean everything was new and he had added a ton of mods. That was a good buy for someone that was serious about the investment potential of an 80.

Last edited:
That one in Portland is nice! If they did a proper paint and rebuild on the engine, they're losing money at 12k.

That one in Portland is nice! If they did a proper paint and rebuild on the engine, they're losing money at 12k.
That's what I am saying. To me, that one looks like someone bought it to flip it. They knew enough to know that the trucks have value, but they really haven't done enough homework or actual work to know what has been done or what is needed. If you look at the ads that are posted by enthusiasts, they list every part, procedure and opinion when it comes to how they baselined, and then built their rigs. I would much rather buy from the latter.

I have over 100 receipts for parts that I have installed on mine or would come with the rig if I ever decided I didn't want another 80, which I doubt will happen. If health or life forces a sale, I will be very thorough with the person that buys it because I am pretty sure that now that mine is mostly dialed in, it will last another 30 years, at least.

Just saying all of that stuff is taken care of needs further explanation in order for it to really mean anything.

Last edited:
Well, if it's any consequence, we paid $23k for my wife's unmolested, poverty packaged, collectors edition 3x locked, white, 123k miles truck. Yes, expensive. I refinished the faded paint, that was it. all original leather, no cracks, etc. 0 rust... I mean this truck looks like it was driven off the show room floor. garaged its entire life.

Well, if it's any consequence, we paid $23k for my wife's unmolested, poverty packaged, collectors edition 3x locked, white, 123k miles truck. Yes, expensive. I refinished the faded paint, that was it. all original leather, no cracks, etc. 0 rust... I mean this truck looks like it was driven off the show room floor. garaged its entire life.
If it stays in that condition and you don't pour miles on to it, I bet that thing will be worth $40k in ten years if things are about the same as they are now in terms of gas prices and emissions requirements. The government might put the 80 out of business at some point, but I think the nice ones that are left, if they are maintained, could easily last 50 years. It's just not that complex of a vehicle and it's incredibly stout. I am going to start stockpiling ECUs and maybe pick up a spare main wiring harness. Beyond a serious electrical failure, I just don't see this car wearing out on American roadways.

Personally, I would never pay $20k or more for an 80 series. I just don't think they have the same nostalgia that a 40, 45, 55, 60, 62 have. Parts are becoming unobtanium. I'd buy a 70 series and know that virtually everything is still available and will be for many years to come.

There is no way in hell 80s will be selling for $40k, regularly, in the next 10 years. No chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom