opinions on SUA lift springs.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tom, I can't urge you enough to go SLOW and EASY when doing this. Don't let the center pin decompress the spring, use C-clamps. The center pin will break and the leafs will come at you from all sides at mach 2 ....................

Ummmmmm, So I've been told :rolleyes:

Tom,
When I installed my pinnacle 55 rears, I could not believe the difference in ride quality.
The sections of the road I knew to avoid where no longer a concern :D

This install changed a few things that affect ride quality:
longer wheel base, and improved rear shackle angle.

Since you already have the Pinnacle springs, you might want to consider flipping your rear springs...this would effectively give you 3 1/2" longer WB.
Unfortunately whenever you move your axles, drive-lines may become an issue.
You should disconnect the diff side and take some DL measurements before flipping your springs...
Perform some searches here on MUD, as additional information/benefits on this mod as well as flipping your front springs for a 97" WB can be found.

Shackle angle is a bit harder, as this will not change after flipping your springs.
Before we go there, is your rear shackle straight up/down?
Relocating the rear spring hanger is the only way you will be able to achieve a desired shackle angle.

Lastly, Bilsteins 5125's (w/heaver valving)...you will not be disappointed :D

Pin_Head said:
Stiff ride has more to do with truck weight, spring rate mismatch than who made the springs. If your Cruiser is on the light side (V8, no hard top, etc) it will ride rough with any springs designed for a normal weight cruiser.

Second that. Truck weight, shocks, even tire pressure all factor in.

I just had two new tires put on the 45 last week, and all of a sudden my otherwise very compliant lift kit on my truck felt like my axles were welded to the frame. Checked the tire pressure and the dip@#$ts at Pep Boys had aired up my new tires to 60lbs! :mad:

Aired the tires down and voila, the smooth ride returned.:)

BTW, I've got a pretty cool deal on NHKs if you visit the specials page on my website.:grinpimp:

jcj_78FJ40 said:
I recently put new bushings, slightly longer shackles & cheap pro-comp shocks on my cruiser with stock suspension. I was amazed on the ride and flex improvement.

I'm running 32 swampers that just tuck under the rear fenders. Of course I'm hoping to go to a bigger tire.

With a SOA (using stock shackles), will my flex improve even more or will I just gain the extra clearance?

By the way, excellent write up on your SOA conversion! I have it book marked incase I go that route.

Thanks
JC

you betcha, you can call me if you need help or questions.

ranchos suck, shocks, springs, stickers, even the logo they all suck.

I second the Alcan's for spring under. Just spend the money and get them custom made for your rig and the type of stuff you do. I heart being SU, but the MAF springs suck for several reasons (on my particular application), and if I had been better educated about it 7 years ago, that's the way I would have gone. Actually, I may have flipped a coin for going SU with Alcans or going SO Ironman's. Naah.. I'da stayed SU!!

Rear only?

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Completely agree with what "Pinhead" has to say! The spring rate of the leaf spring packs need to be tailored to the weight of the truck and it's load.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Pin_Head" wrote:

Stiff ride has more to do with truck weight, spring rate mismatch than who made the springs. If your Cruiser is on the light side (V8, no hard top, etc) it will ride rough with any springs designed for a normal weight cruiser.

Can you change just the rears or do they have to be changed togeather??
Have glass tub & Chevy 350, not enough weight to compress the Skyjacker 4" that are on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom