Opinions on rusty BJ60. Worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What lovetoski said,

If the drive train is good, then buy it. I've seen worse looking bodies for more $.
85 is the best year. The money you'll save by already having power steering, power clutch, H55, etc is a big deal.

If the frame has been repaired well, then patch up the body rust and paint over it with rocker guard. It's cheap, fast, and it'll probably roll for 3 years or more without much trouble.

Snowboardonsnow-just over the bridge eh? If i end up getting it i may need some parts from the rig youre parting out.

jzilla-Would like to come check it out, but i think my buddy wants to take the ferry across from Port Angeles. If not, i'll shoot you a pm, thanks!

EMail just sent from owner-
"Rivetted strip wraps bottom edge of tailgate
wheel wells have been rebuilt, but wanted to show the rust coming through years later
bondo used only to fair replacement metal; not just globbed in to fill holes
no rust on roof or roof gutters, floors good, one hole under back seat patched with galvanized sheet metal
That bit under the doors needs attention, I was able to do a reasonable job myself on the other side
tranny good; however the bit about 5th, it cruises well in 5th but does pop out of gear if you coast down a hill in 5th, typically I would gear down anyway so not really an issue
there's a minor oil drip out of the front tranny seal, or it could be running from the engine rear seal down the drive shaft, I haven't really looked at it.
I don't know what symptoms would indicate worn cam bearings, it doesn't sound rattly or clanky, no indication of head gasket issues (such as contamination of either oil or coolant, these fluids always look fine. compression test back when I got it at 280,000 was normal, engine seems as always, same power, idles smooth etc, and it doesn't smoke at the tailpipe, no blue or black clouds.) The valve cover gasket was drippy and was replaced a few years ago (professionally). There's a gasketted plate on the passenger side of the engine that drips a bit, i'm advised it's not a mechanical issue, but a big job to get at changing that gasket, so I've let it drip"

Forgot to ask...anyone know of a registered importer?? Gotta figure out importation process now...just in case:)

Make sure you have an enhanced license or a passport, not like the old days when a plain old license would get you back and forth across the border

Show up at the border, have a signed bill of sale, have a signed off registration/title which is the same thing in BC. Make sure the vin number on the rig matches the paperwork and make sure that little sticker on the door jamb that mentions it was made to certain federal safety standards is in place, They checked that on mine

Be prepared to pay the duty with cash or credit card, they don't take checks.

If the rig is going to be driven, have a trip ticket that you fill in when you pick up the rig, get it where you register your rig. Also be good to have proof of insurance

Done deal no need for a broker or anybody else. Pretty simple but a bit stresful I will admit. Be nice to the border guards!

But before you get to this step there is one thing I should point out, popping out of 5th gear is a BIG DEAL... possibly a deal breaker This could be from worn out gears and those two gears are very expensive.

Tony

Last edited:
snowboardonsnow-pm sent
kynot62- Importing doesnt sound so bad now. Are the 2 gears more expensive than buying a h55f used?? I did find another BJ60 that was an '82 and had a 4spd, less rust too.

snowboardonsnow-pm sent
kynot62- Importing doesnt sound so bad now. Are the 2 gears more expensive than buying a h55f used?? I did find another BJ60 that was an '82 and had a 4spd, less rust too.

Depends on how comfortable you are with tearing into a gearbox. Those two gears are about $800 last time I looked and my 3B specific H55 was almost twice that.

Ideally the best option is a BJ 60 with a functioning 5 speed, but an 82 with less rust and maybe a functioning tranny may work better for you if you want to drive it for awhile. Does the 82 have considerably less miles on it or more? But an 82 may have manual steering (mine does). Depends on what you want to do with the rig before you tear into it.

I would look at both. Weigh the differences and choose the one that thinks fits your needs and wants better. But just start looking because the best answer might be neither one. Or spend more money on a better rig. No easy answer.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom