Opinions on replacing carrier bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm swapping two 8" elockers into my crawler. I have rebuilt several toyota diffs in the past on street trucks and always replaced all the bearings even though the carrier bearings looked good. Since the crawler sees very few miles and has dual cases so its slow, i was thinking if the carrier bearings looked good i would give them more preload and replace the pinion bearings and use a solid sleeve. Yes i know this is the 60 section but there seems to be more general knowledge here and the 8" is similar to the 9 1/2". Do you think it would be ok to leave the old carrier bearings?

Last edited:
Yeah. On a crawler no way I’m wasting money on expensive bearings like that unless they’re broken

Yeah. On a crawler no way I’m wasting money on expensive bearings like that unless they’re broken
Thats what im thinking, ive never seen a bad carrier bearing in the few i've rebuilt. The crawler will put more stress on them but they should get very little heat. getting opinions from other smart people.

If there's no debris contamination embedded in the bearing rollers or race and no evidence of spalling on the race and the bearing cage hasn't been bent in any way, it's fine to reuse tapered roller bearings. It's best to set the preload to spec, not above spec, as excessive preload causes increased friction which generates heat which can accelerate wear to the bearing surfaces.

If they look perfect, yeah maybe I'd use them.
If they don't look perfect I'd replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom