Opinions on quieting ARB Classic Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are some pics of my installed rack. Wind noise at 65plus MPH is fierce. Wanted your opinion on:
1. Does the rack need to be scooted back
2. What bars on the rack should I try to wrap with bungee cord to disrupt wind flow
3. Order ARB wind deflector (I prefer the look without it but would put one on if it would quiet noise
4. Has anyone adapted a simple flat nylon deflector from another brand to fit the ARB
You guys have knocked the cover off the ball with your assistance so I am hopeful you can help me quiet the wind storm. Thanks

09AC0F23-8574-4E86-90F1-A158D6FCDC08.jpeg

0C2B4E82-F0ED-420C-88DD-8BA9511C4280.jpeg

65DF0A62-10BB-4017-A370-20FA148DD62B.jpeg

Have you experimented with removing the flat panel at the front of the rack to see how much that is contributing to the noise? The air flowing up along your windshield is probably smacking that. You might need to relocate the rack back farther and install a wind fairing to solve your problem.

1676264627546.png

Spiral wrapping the forward facing bars with the bungie cord to help eliminate vortices would probably be most effective, as the air flow across the rearward bars is already going to be pretty disrupted. That area is also a lot closer to your ear.

Here are some pics of my installed rack. Wind noise at 65plus MPH is fierce. Wanted your opinion on:
2. What bars on the rack should I try to wrap with bungee cord to disrupt wind flow
3. Order ARB wind deflector (I prefer the look without it but would put one on if it would quiet noise
4. Has anyone adapted a simple flat nylon deflector from another brand to fit the ARB
You guys have knocked the cover off the ball with your assistance so I am hopeful you can help me quiet the wind storm. Thanks

View attachment 3247043

View attachment 3247044

View attachment 3247045
I think moving the rack back several inches is worth trying. My ARB is not particularly noisy in the position shown here. Looks better, too.

1676298746029.png

View attachment 3247043

View attachment 3247044

View attachment 3247045
Move the rack back far enough (do this with the rear hatch fully open) enough so it doesn't interfere with the rear lift gate. Take it back as far as you can.

I know there have been a couple folks here that have wrapped the front bars with rope to break up the airflow and reduce the wind noise. it was @98 SNAKE EATER . You can look up his info in the early part of his threads.

Good point on having the hatch open. Common sense when you think abouit it but something I might have missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom