Opinions on oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find it amazing that a company you pay to do the oil change for you, can tell you what to put in your car, and then require you to go to the trouble of getting them "evidence" that you were right. One would think the 17 years of running "right" would be evidence enough...not that it were needed.

You bet I was flabbercasted when I discovered they used the wrong oil. The more because before this happened I never had any complaints.
I make an appointment, go there, the rig is driven inside, I can watch them working on it from the waiting room, (I know most of the mechanics and they know me) and in half an hour I get the keys back. Oil and filter changed. For the money I have to pay (they fill Valvoline multigrade) I can hardly get the oil and the filter myself.
Have to add there was a new manager and they had a new oil supplier. That company advises (they still do!!) 5W/30 grade for the 1HZ. That manager told me he was instructed by his company to adhere to that advise. If he didn't he could be held responsible for damage. It's a long story, but I have been in contact with the oil company as well but they stick to their opinion, stating that, if the customer wants he can use 10W/40 as 'next best'.

Next time, oil change is due in a week or so, I'll pay more attention in advance, but I'm shure the manager will remember who I am. I made sure about that last time :D.
We had a 'little chat' afterwards:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::bounce2:
I more or less (of course nothing is impossible but often impracticable) have to get the oil changed by a company. Getting rid of the used oil is a PITA because if I do it myslef, I have to deliver the old oil to a special dumpstation, 25 kms away, and there is allways the risk of having an oil spil on my driveway. And 9 to 10 liters of oil is a big mess.;)

I am too because I have half a pail of the rotella still!

I didn't ever bother with the synthetic in the engine being an idi diesel. It gets dirty quick. With a 1hd-t I was planning on switching to synthetic but didn't because I sold it shortly after the idea.

We should create an oil analysis thread

I am content with the 25 bucks spent

agreed!

(here's another thread on the delica forum with a few oil analysis reports shared, for what it's worth..
View topic - Motor oil analysis and results | Delica Canada | Mitsubishi Van Club )

I'll give an update as I just got this back.

Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 5.58.52 PM.jpg

The top one as you can see is my most recent as the one below it is my first one.
This last trip had a round trip from prince rupert to victoria. Some city driving in victoria and around my hometown as well as a 500km road trip. Lots of long distance all day driving putting 1200kms a day on for an example.

My lead numbers are still high but lower than the previous time. I am wondering if its just the ratings of the oil as the 10w/30 vs the 15w/40. I was told to run and on the air box of the truck says 10w/30. Now I am wondering if this is just for the Japanese climate? I know most diesels here run 15w/40 here in BC. Its fully dependent on the climate and what the manufacture recommends for the area.

Options are:

1) Dino Rotella T 15w/40
2) Amsoil 15w/40
3) Amsoil 10w/40
4) Amsoil 5w/40
5) Amsoil 10w/30
5) Amsoil 5w/30

I plan on running a 5w/*0 for the winter this year. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 5.58.52 PM.jpg

i swear by rotella dino.

most recent testimony: aquired 95 80series, noticed oil pressure fluctuating.
replaced oil with rotella, dead steading gauge ever since.
in my experience i,ve learned that rotella makes
landcruisers happy.... especially the 3B.

well as a 500km road trip. Lots of long distance all day driving putting 1200kms a day on for an example.

My lead numbers are still high but lower than the previous time. I am wondering if its just the ratings of the oil as the 10w/30 vs the 15w/40. I was told to run and on the air box of the truck says 10w/30. Now I am wondering if this is just for the Japanese climate? I know most diesels here run 15w/40 here in BC. Its fully dependent on the climate and what the manufacture recommends for the area.

?

The FSM shows a broad range of viscosities from 5/30 to 20/50
Toyota Australia only sell the 20/50 for the 1HZ and I ran 20/60 once for 3 months with no obvious difference.
If you are doing the long runs at high speed,thicker is better.
If you have a 1HZ FSM ,page LU6 shows the ambient temps and the viscosity oil you should run but they overlap by a big margin
For eg 10w/30 is good for -18c to 38c and 15w/40,20w/40 and 20w/50 are all good for -12c to 38+

So what weight do you think would be best for coastal AK where year round temps are generally 20-60F?Lots of short drives around the island intermingled with REALLY long drives when I get on the road system a few times a year.

I'm running Rottella T 10w-30. Good choice?

So what weight do you think would be best for coastal AK where year round temps are generally 20-60F?Lots of short drives around the island intermingled with REALLY long drives when I get on the road system a few times a year.

I'm running Rottella T 10w-30. Good choice?

The 2H FSM has the same diagram as the 1HZ.

10W/30 is fine but you could also use 15w40 which is good for 10F- 100F+

Or you could use 5w/30 in winter and 20w/40 in summer.
But I would stick with the 10W/30 or 15w/40 all year round to save confusion.

I thought Alaska would have been colder than that,I guess its because you are on the coast.
I would love to visit there ,I often look at the wheeling pics on Alaska 4x4
Approx which part of the coast are you on?

I thought Alaska would have been colder than that,I guess its because you are on the coast.
I would love to visit there ,I often look at the wheeling pics on Alaska 4x4
Approx which part of the coast are you on?

Yeah, the ocean means it never gets very cold (or hot).

Kodiak Island (aka The Rock, hence my username.)

VT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom