Opinions on Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are your opinions on Toyo Open Country A/T’s. I guess there is an A/T II?
Any better than KO2’s. I saw a Jeep with them on today and thought they look pretty good and capable. Nice tread pattern and with lots of Siping.

Please get back to me as I am buying tires Tuesday.
Rims will be the Pro Comp La Paz. I like their look.

I had these on my Wrangler for years and now have them on my Land Cruiser. Love them. Great in snow.

My experience with the Duratrac is that they get very loud. Rotations help for the first half of tread life, but after that they get extremely loud. The sidewalls are very weak. I had one punctured by a tiny stick and since it is in the sidewall tire shops won't repair it. This stick was smaller than a penny in thickness. Here's a pic of the almost brand new tire with a non repairable puncture.

IMG_20170403_184800-XL.jpg

I run Duratracs on all my trucks, they are really tough to beat for the snow/ice conditions we deal with nearly half the year, and they go on regular 4/3 sales, and can be financed through the public insurance provider as winter tires as they are severe winter rated.

If I lived somewhere that didn't experience winter the same way, I'd probably buy something else, but for the conditions I drive in they are a solid choice.

I recently bought my 6th set, I put 80K kms on a previous set and sold what was left for $500, they just make good sense for me.

Has anyone personal experience with the Cooper st MAXX? It looks to be a hybrid sort of tire like the Duratrac but a bit more stout.

@sbman
What kind of brush are you driving through to get indirect sidewall punctures of small sticks?

Has anyone personal experience with the Cooper st MAXX? It looks to be a hybrid sort of tire like the Duratrac but a bit more stout.
Have about 25k miles on mine and absolutely no complaints. Wearing very well, thick sidewalls and really solid traction for what they are in most situations I've encountered. IMO the best 'compromise' tire out there.

What are your opinions on Toyo Open Country A/T’s. I guess there is an A/T II?
Any better than KO2’s. I saw a Jeep with them on today and thought they look pretty good and capable. Nice tread pattern and with lots of Siping.

Please get back to me as I am buying tires Tuesday.
Rims will be the Pro Comp La Paz. I like their look.

Just be very aware of the weight of the Toyo tires.

They are very heavy, which is rotating mass. It will take more torque to get them up to and maintain speed. They are good tires, but heavy. The weight is why I chose to go with Duratracs. However, make sure you buy the tires best suited for your NEEDS.

I live in an area that gets snow and I travel north into areas that get more snow...I have local friends that do NOT travel into snow areas and they choose the BFG KO2. I still prefer my DT's, only because I know what I use my truck for and what I expect out of it.

+1 for Duratracs solid performance and long-lasting.

+1 for Duratracs solid performance and long-lasting.
I like Duratracs on my dodge 2500. I’m on my second set and what you said pretty much sums up my opinion but there are a good many negative posts about Duratracs.

If I could justify an extra set of wheels/tires I’d run studded duratracs in the winter or cooper ST maxx. And then trade off in the summer for non studded.

Ive had both non studded and liked the duratracs in the snow on my Tacoma but when its time to replace the michelins on my f250 I’m leaning towards the ST Maxx.

I have KO2s on my dd 3rd gen runner but those will get swapped out for studded winterforces for a few months. The ko2s are pretty decent on and off road in snow but I got these winterforces for CHEAP.

Anyway I think the duratracs and KO2s are both decent winter on/off road tires, I think the ST Maxx is a better off road tire but maybe not as good on road winter. Depends on how much winter driving you do I guess. You can always have a more agressive tire siped as well.

Last edited:
I like Duratracs on my dodge 2500. I’m on my second set and what you said pretty much sums up my opinion but there are a good many negative posts about Duratracs.

I’ve run mine all over the Sierras, Baja, Rockies, and Midwest winter storms. For me they’ve shined on all accounts for over 20k miles. There are likely better options (and worse) but they’ve served me well and I don’t have much room to complain.

Bottom line it’s reallly reallly hard to f up tire choice from any of the major brands. That’s a ton of $$$$ backing up their good name in the market. Buy what you trust. The end.

Just to echo everyone else here, my good buddy used to run these on his Xterra (I wheeled with him regularly and borrowed his truck from time to time)

We also got a sidewall puncture from a stick (actually old tree root, I believe). A piece of dry old wood the diameter of my finger should not puncture an E-rated tire, IMO, but it may have been the perfect angle/position to poke a hole. Non-repairable, he bought a new tire.

They are, as advertised, great in the snow and good road manners. Started getting pretty loud towards the end of tread life, but otherwise fine. Did all the normal Colorado stuff just fine aside from the puncture.

Any advice on best price, place to buy a set of duratracs? Local prices here are insane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom