Opinions on Exhaust choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to pull the trigger on a new exhaust system and have tried to search and wade through other threads for info and opinions.

Here is what i know: I'm going to go with a 2.5" system, single cat with the O2 sensor's front and rear of the single cat, over the frame rail.

Here is what i'm not sure of: I think i want to use the dynomax ultra flow welded 2.5" muffler. It measures 14" long? Do you guys think that's going to be too loud? I do not want something really loud. Also, there are a ton of single cats available, so should i just get on summit or jegs.com and get the cheapest 2.5" single cat?

Any opinions are appreciated. :cheers:

14" in my view is a bit small, and definitely will be louder than a longer muffler.

With my EMS I modified it with a Magnaflow 12286 last year. It is 24" long in the body, and oval shaped 5"x8", 2.5" in and out. This is now what EMS is using, after my feedback. It is MUCH quieter than the original Aero setup, and tucks-in well between the frame and driveshaft. Stainless, so will hold up to the elements over time. Jegs has them, as does Summit; usually around $100.

Magnaflow 12286

Magnaflow spun cats are pretty good, and will also fit quite well.

I assume you are having a local shop build the rest.

:cheers:

Steve

yea i have a pretty good local shop that does exhaust work. I'm just trying to put the pieces i want together for them.

The shop was trying to talk me out of a piece of flex unless it was stainless because he said he sees them blow apart all the time.

Just ask for your cats to be given back to you, so you can sell them to a metal recycling yard. They will want to give you an excuse of having to hold on to them for 14+ days, let em know you want to scrap them yourself. If they say they won't, just cut them off before you take it to them for the work.

I'm going to get my cats replaces and tucked up this week. Local shop to me in Amarillo, Tx tried to give me that excuse but I told him I WAS GONNA SCRAP IT to a recycler to help offset some of the exhaust cost and he said that he would just give them back to me and tell "The Man" that they were not on vehicle when it was brought in.

Just an FYI for ya to think about, that's all. I've heard our Mr T cats can bring in some nice $ from a recycler.

Topher

" T cats can bring in some nice $ from a recycler."

really how much? i am about to swap out the old Mr T with some EMS.

Steve,

my exhaust guy wants to use a magnaflow "round" exhaust... he didn't give me a part number but said it was around $90. Wonder if that's the one you went with?

BRKLYN1 said:
" T cats can bring in some nice $ from a recycler."

really how much? i am about to swap out the old Mr T with some EMS.

It might depend on your location, don't know about my recycler yet either just high hopes. A fellow mudder posted in a different exhaust thread that about a year or two ago he scrapped his and the recycler was paying $60 or $80+ for his cats. Again I don't know if that was for the pair or each one.

Topher

I guess maybe i should re-word this...

What mufflers and single cats should i avoid?

Steve,

my exhaust guy wants to use a magnaflow "round" exhaust... he didn't give me a part number but said it was around $90. Wonder if that's the one you went with?

Definitely oval. I spec'd this one to fit exactly with my rig. It works with the setup of getting the pipe up and over the frame in the front and then up and over the axle in the rear.

Though these are pictures of the original Aero muffler, it is the same size and configuration. Fits like a glove. Oval gives you more clearance than round, including the space up to the floorboards for heat.

cyclosteve-albums-emspowered-exhaust-picture11140-secondary-o2.jpg

cyclosteve-albums-emspowered-exhaust-picture11132-muffler-side-view.jpg

cyclosteve-albums-emspowered-exhaust-picture11131-muffler-front-view.jpg

:cheers:

Steve

Thanks Steve!!

with cats being stolen all the time now, a lot of scrapers won't take them from a private party, so I would ask the shop to take some of the cost of the system off in exchange for the cats. In Phoenix, a shop that was going to take them was going to pay 30-40 each.
Get a 3 way cat so it doesn't throw codes. I did a flowmaster on my 3fe and it wasn't too loud.
I also cut out the muffler in my 96 and am running just the resonator and it's not crazy loud, but louder than most people want. It sets off my neighbors car alarm sometimes.

looks like he is quoting me magnaflow 14416 muffler. It's round and center pass thru. From what i have read the center thru mufflers are louder than the offset... does that sound right? So i should probably focus on an oval, offset muffler... right?

I put on the EMS and found the sound to be too noisy for my likes. I ended up adding a resonator (SS) at the very end in pretty much the same location as the OEM, and it sounds much better, though still a bit louder than OEM.

Any horsepower gains going with a with a 2.5" system replacing the cat and muffler over stock?

wspastorbryan said:
with cats being stolen all the time now, a lot of scrapers won't take them from a private party, so I would ask the shop to take some of the cost of the system off in exchange for the cats. In Phoenix, a shop that was going to take them was going to pay 30-40 each.
Get a 3 way cat so it doesn't throw codes. I did a flowmaster on my 3fe and it wasn't too loud.
I also cut out the muffler in my 96 and am running just the resonator and it's not crazy loud, but louder than most people want. It sets off my neighbors car alarm sometimes.

That is true, though I still think it just depends on location. I plan on taking a picture of the factory cats still on cruiser and then an after shot of new cats on cruiser, then actually drive the cruiser to the recycler so if they question it I would have proof that the cats are in fact my own. It couldn't hurt right, I'm the type that normally gives people the benefit of doubt until I get wronged over by them, then they become my worst enemy. Just saying

Phil, thanks, your thread is the one that has me scratching my head and thinking i need offset!

not trying to get quiet, i just don't want it to sound like a muscle car on rice!!

not trying to get quiet, i just don't want it to sound like a muscle car on rice!!

My Walker makes about the same noise as stock without resonator(different tone, no whistle) but more quiet then the guys with Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom