Opinions on Cruiser build-up, do the 78 or 67? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My end goal is to have a DD cruiser that is nice and will get me from A to B without too much complaining and I also want a mildly built cruiser that is not too over the top, 35’s locked rear, PS, auto, and V-8.

The 78 is my current DD. The body is somewhat rough, not much rust, but it is all original. I am planning on straightening out the sheet metal this spring and putting a few new panels on it. The drive train is entirely stock but I want to add PS for increased drivability.

The 67 has a bad motor, PO blew a rod through the block, Opps! It has been converted to a floor shifter and has a PTO winch on the three speed. The pass rear tub has damage to it that could be removed with a little trimming that would also help with tire clearance issues. Other than that it is in amazing shape, minimal rust.

Because of the blown motor and how well my 78 drives, my thoughts are to leave my 78 stock and restore it and make the 67 my crawler. I know that the 78 has a far superior drive train, but I plan on replacing the axles on the 67 if necessary, I like disk brakes! I am just looking for thoughts on this and opinions on what I am thinking?

Thank you!

mod both?? you could put an old man emu 2.5 on the 78 and put 33's on, and put a lunchbox locker in the rear. and put a 4inch-er on the 67 and then your
35's, and since the motor is blown put the v8 in.then you could have to, very reliable cruisers

mod the older one. if smog is an issue, this year will help you out more than the 78. Plus doesnt have ambi doors, so top off is a little nicer. Once you start moding, only the front doors of the 78 are a nice to have. You can put windshield fram from a 78 on your older tub if you really like those wipers.

-Dustin

i have to agree, mod the older one for wheeling especialy if you dont mind axle swaps etc. and it already has some damage and you will probable get that from wheeling anyway. and keep the 78 for a classic daily driver.

Ah, the beauty of smog regulations, you can tell who lives in kalifornia by those concerns. As slow as the 2F is, if it runs well there is no reason to get rid of it. It will stay reliable for a while. Plus, the V8 ruins the historical and romantic value of a cruiser (but is a hell of lot more fun). Take that 67 and grind that sheet metal against some rocks, then sawzall it all to hell. You will feel liberated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom