Opinions on Buying a 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of purchasing a 70 series as my daily driver. If I have to drive a long ways or do a long trip my family has a mini-van and a 4 dr GMC truck I could take instead.

I am used to driving old vehicles and don't mind working on them. I have a '74 Bronco and am doing a restoration on an FJ-40.

The two trucks I am looking at are a '96KZJ78 with a 1KZE-TE motor and 75K miles and also a '92 HZJ with a 1HZ motor and 100K miles.

What would these two be like as a DD. How would they compare mechanically? My understanding is that the HZ motor is a lot more reliable. For a conservative driver how big of a difference is this?

As a daily driver, the Prado will probably be more comfortable. You didn't mention what kind of HZJ you're looking at, but regardless of body type that generation will all be leaf-sprung all-around, vs. coils on the Prado.
Engine-wise, the 1HZ is legendarily reliable, and parts are widely available as it is still in production.
Are both MTM? I would probably steer clear of A/T's on both of these engines...

Why steer clear of the auto trans?

Sorry its an HZJ73.

Not sure if it makes a huge difference but elevation and turbo vs. naturally aspirated engines may need to be considered.

Will you be driving in the higher elevations or going up and over passes?

I'm currently converting my HZJ77 from auto to manual for three reasons.

1. I have to. My A440F died.

2. With a turbo, you need to be able to downshift on hills to rev up and increase airflow to keep the EGT's in check.

3. The auto transmission soaks up so much horsepower, and there's not much horsepower to work with anyway.

I've driven both N/A HZJ 7x series with and without auto transmissions. I think the Auto + 1HZ is excellent tool in medically assisted suicide end of life situations when someone is unsure whether they are ready pass on, as driving the 1HZ + auto will quickly get a patient to that life ending decision, as they realize their days of ever passing again are over. Where as the 1HZ + manual leaves one with cruel faint hope, like somewhere, out there, on the highways and byways is a lonely 1979 VW Vanagon sporting it's 1.6l of air cooled fury, and maybe, just maybe, you will encounter that overheating Vanagon while going up a steep hill where there is an extremely long passing lane, and then, yes, at long last, then, you can experience the glory and victory of passing another vehicle on the highway. If only. Maybe. It could happen.

If buying a 1HZ anything, hold out for the manual, and put a turbo on it, is what I am trying to say.

Last edited:
How would they compare mechanically? I don't believe there's much in common between them, as the 78 is in the light duty line while the 73 is heavy duty.

I'd personally go for the HZJ because of the engine, the shorter wheel base, the removable top and, of course, because this model is simply more charming. (IMO).

Edit: Another vote for manual all the way!

Auto or manual, the 1HZ naturally aspirated is slow. I have 1993 HZJ77 with manual transmission and cars pass me all the time. Just have to get used to it. In reality, the H55F is more like a 4 speed rather than 5 speed. It is rare I ever use the 1st gear to get rolling. Some situations where I would use 1st gear is when I am on a steep incline for example.

I don't DD mine and wouldn't want to.

If I got the HZ I would turbo it. How much would that help on the above discussion?

Also, other than engine what is the difference between the light duty and heavy duty line?

I've driven both N/A HZJ 7x series with and without auto transmissions. I think the Auto + 1HZ is excellent tool in medically assisted suicide end of life situations when someone is unsure whether they are ready pass on, as driving the 1HZ + auto will quickly get a patient to that life ending decision, as they realize their days of ever passing again are over. Where as the 1HZ + manual leaves one with cruel faint hope, like somewhere, out there, on the highways and byways is a lonely 1979 VW Vanagon sporting it's 1.6l of air cooled fury, and maybe, just maybe, you will encounter that overheating Vanagon while going up a steep hill where there is an extremely long passing lane, and then, yes, at long last, then, you can experience the glory and victory of passing another vehicle on the highway. If only. Maybe. It could happen.

If buying a 1HZ anything, hold out for the manual, and put a turbo on it, is what I am trying to say.
this^
and i have a 3b so even the hz's pass me too....even with the turbo i put on🤣
i would never daily drive mine, id lose my mind
its KING in the bush tho

like somewhere, out there, on the highways and byways is a lonely 1979 VW Vanagon sporting it's 1.6l of air cooled fury, and maybe, just maybe, you will encounter that overheating Vanagon while going up a steep hill where there is an extremely long passing lane, and then, yes, at long last, then, you can experience the glory and victory of passing another vehicle on the highway. If only. Maybe. It could happen.
Lol...This ACTUALLY HAPPENED to me. I was driving my Troopy up towards the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000ft/3400m) when I saw a VW Vanagon in the distance. Probably took me a half hour to catch him, and another 5 minutes to overtake, but I got it done.

a 1KZE-TE motor and a 1HZ motor
HP/torque figures between the two motors are similar. You don't say which body style the HZJ has--a Troopy is enough heavier than a SWB to make a difference, power-wise.
What would these two be like as a DD.
Slow, but it depends on how and where you drive. Neither of those vehicles would be at home on a U.S Interstate highway. But if you're an "around town" guy, or a "country roads" guy, you probably wouldn't care about the low-ish power these vehicles have. Note that if your commute is short, a diesel may not get up to operating temperature, which can be less than ideal.
How would they compare mechanically?
1HZ is simpler (no turbo, no electronics) and parts are readily available.
KZJ78 would be noticeably more comfortable (coil springs).

They're both good trucks. Buy for condition.

I daily drove a BJ70 with a 13BT swapped in it for at least two years year round, in Fairbanks, AK no less. I enjoyed it. Of course my commute to/from work was around 500ft elevation. I did do road trips with it and it did good on our hills. I daily drove my HJ75 ute 2 to 3 yrs before I tore it apart for a rebuild. My HJ75 had a turbo'd 2H. In town in Anchorage, around 100 feet above sea level did well, it did pretty good in the mountains around here, but I had over heated it a few times on the drive up from Georgia and eventually cracked the head. Now I have a 12HT in it and does pretty good in town and on the hwy. If you have a non-turbo engine and live on flat ground it should do pretty good, if you live at elevation and/or climb hills, a turbo'd engine would be the preferred choice. Never got to drive a LJ but I can imagine it would drive better for a daily than a HD one. I could comfortably drive both rigs at 65mph, even 70mph. I wouldn't like to drive any faster than 70mph, unless I had a 1HD version in good shape.

HZJ73 all the way!

Can that KZJ78 do this??

38FC92F6-6F60-41B8-86EE-2150B6867D7F.jpeg

F22829FA-FC66-4D33-A9AA-CC53196F4E2E.jpeg

BED9BAB8-FA74-4CC4-845C-F1A9C51A8A24.jpeg

Besides the above obvious of top off summer driving awesomeness of the 73/74 series, the Mid wheelbase are just fantastic. Not too short to ride bad, doesn’t feel like driving a bus troopy or 4 door.

The 1HZ is a better motor. Turbo definitely makes it feel better and more modern, but you have to do it right to avoid head issues (intercooler etc)

I daily drove my BJ74 for almost 5 years now. I’ve slowed down with it now mainly because I work from home, but I keep away from idiot drivers in the winter. My commute has been about 20 minutes each way on country roads and city. Stop and go can be annoying with the 5 speed but that’s any manual in a city.

I love driving it. It’s quite the analog experience. Mines a little different since it’s the 13BT (factory turbo diesel not the Prado style turbos) so I can keep up with traffic Decently to about 65-70. 0-60 is about 16-17 seconds lol.

That said, the 70 series is more comfortable than a 40 less than a nice riding 80 series. If you have other vehicles then imo it’s no big deal at all. The only thing you really have to make sure is that it’s baselined and in as good as mechanical shape as possible. That’s the same for any 30yr old vehicle you are trying to daily drive. The 1HZ is stupid simple to work on and parts will be available for a very long time as they still make it.

Again, always trying to find the nicest, least rusty best mechanical shape you can afford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom