Opinions needed- GX470 as family carrying daily driver, too old? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think nearly everyone else covered the basics, but I’ll add my thoughts since my family situation is nearly identical to yours (three kids, oldest is six, wife drives a Honda Odyssey, etc.).

I went from a four door Wrangler Rubicon to the GX when our third kid arrived, as the Wrangler couldn’t do three car seats across the back. I initially wanted a three row 4Runner, but found them to be 50% more than the GX, even with 50% more miles (though that is changing now that people are aware of the value a used GX provides). In the GX, I took out one of the third row seats, got a hitch-mounted step off Amazon, and my oldest uses that and the third row as his domain, which allows us to keep the other car seats latched (and makes loading the kids WAY faster, which is critical in the rainy season here in the Pacific Northwest).

I have had many full-size trucks in the past, all 3/4 ton gas or diesel from my days when I hauled enough to justify the trucks and dealing with the size. Now I haul kids, some occasional home supplies (I’m remodeling a house right now), and a smaller quad to the local sand dunes, the latter two done by a smaller cargo trailer easily towed by the GX.

I had initially wanted a 100 series, but like the full-size trucks, my wife was afraid of the size. Now she drives the GX whenever she gets the chance and loves it, especially when it comes to parking. She loves her van, but no one could accuse modern minivans of being anywhere close to “mini”.

As for gas mileage, I do mostly rural, hilly road driving with speed limits 45mph and less and the GX gets about 16.5mpg on average.

Last edited:
Man Squirrel, there are lots of similarities. Im in the middle of a remodel myself... i appreciate there very applicable feedback!

After some thought i think im better off to look for a 460 in the 2011-2013 range. Doesn't seem too hard to find something in the low 100's mileage wise for around $20k.

Time to keep my eyes open, ill check in when i find something.
Thanks all!
Nick

Sounds like a good plan. I love my 2004, but when it is time to upgrade I’ll probably be looking for a 2010-2012 GX460 as well (not a fan of the ’13+ grill). Then again, my GX just rolled 113,000 miles, so I’m a long way off from upgrading.;)

I think nearly everyone else covered the basics, but I’ll add my thoughts since my family situation is nearly identical to yours (three kids, oldest is six, wife drives a Honda Odyssey, etc.).

I went from a four door Wrangler Rubicon to the GX when our third kid arrived, as the Wrangler couldn’t do three car seats across the back. I initially wanted a three row 4Runner, but found them to be 50% more than the GX, even with 50% more miles (though that is changing now that people are aware of the value a used GX provides). In the GX, I took out one of the third row seats, got a hitch-mounted step off Amazon, and my oldest uses that and the third row as his domain, which allows us to keep the other car seats latched (and makes loading the kids WAY faster, which is critical in the rainy season here in the Pacific Northwest).

I have had many full-size trucks in the past, all 3/4 ton gas or diesel from my days when I hauled enough to justify the trucks and dealing with the size. Now I haul kids, some occasional home supplies (I’m remodeling a house right now), and a smaller quad to the local sand dunes, the latter two done by a smaller cargo trailer easily towed by the GX.

I had initially wanted a 100 series, but like the full-size trucks, my wife was afraid of the size. Now she drives the GX whenever she gets the chance and loves it, especially when it comes to parking. She loves her van, but no one could accuse modern minivans of being anywhere close to “mini”.

As for gas mileage, I do mostly rural, hilly road driving with speed limits 45mph and less and the GX gets about 16.5mpg on average.

I'm curious as to how your trunk setup looks, since the 3rd row seat really only gives about a few inches from the base of the seat to the back of the 2nd row. I'm guessing your oldest just sits sideways on that 1 seat?

Reactions: d12
Go drive them all. Bring all the kids, see how they like each one. We have 1 daughter and two dogs, we camp, haul, daily, and wheel our 470. Bought it in 2016 w/ 125K, did the timing belt at 135k along with a new radiator. Since then, its been minimal in maintenance. Being female I have a different perspective than males. I LOVE this truck. I am also a land cruiser chick. So that being said, I will drive the 470 til it dies, at least 500k or more. So my investment 3 years ago will go well beyond what it cost. I will also say, its been upgraded. Removed the AHC, installed regular suspension (rear coils and shocks no airbags Terrain Tamer), FJ wheels, 285's, sliders, you get the picture. It rides better now than it ever did stock. I love this thing. I changed vehicles a few times over the years and always kept thinking, what do I want next. With the GX, never. I told my husband if this one gets wrecked, we will be finding another one. All the money we have put into it is just an investment to keep it running longer and doing the things we do. I say do it, 470 style.

I'm curious as to how your trunk setup looks, since the 3rd row seat really only gives about a few inches from the base of the seat to the back of the 2nd row. I'm guessing your oldest just sits sideways on that 1 seat?

This exactly! How does the 7yo fit?

I have a 5 year old in the 3rd row with one seat removed. He fits wearing shoes but not boots.

I found a 2010 460 with 80k miles and good maintenance records within budget. I will be looking at/ driving it tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help!
Nick

Nope, he sits facing forward. I found as shallow a booster seat as I could, which ended up being almost exactly as deep as the seat itself, and he fits just fine. Unexpectedly, the additional height of the booster helps his knees clear the seatback, which he appreciates. His feet are a bit tight between the seats for when he climbs in and out, but we have done multi-day road trips in the GX without complaint.

I am currently driving a 2016 F150 crew cab. I like it well enough but we moved to southeast TN from out west and honestly it just feels a little big on some city streets in the hills. I have always been a fan of SUV's over trucks but my last two vehicles were 1/2 ton 4WD crew cabs, honestly I am not sure why other than I was a bit uneducated in body on frame SUV's outside of domestic options. Honestly I despise everything in the bed not being more accessible, trucks have their place but even with a full house remodel going on I see the roof rack and cheap utility trailer as being more handy when big stuff is needing to be hauled.

Here are my requirements:
- Needs to get better gas mileage than my truck in town, currently getting roughly 13. I have no illusions of a drastic increase but 15-16 is considerable and would be great
- I'm married with a 3 and 6 year old so it needs to be comfortable enough to take the kids to school and transport the whole family without emabarassing or disgusting my wife ( She drives a 2013 Honda Odyssey so her tastes aren't terribly high end).
- Overlanding is not what this will be for but I do hunt and fish a fair amount so access to rough trailheads and ability to haul critters is necessary.
- This will be a daily driver that I plan on keeping for 5-7 years so it needs to be reliable with reasonable maintenance cost being of utmost importance.

With all of this said, a few questions:
1. Even if well taken care of is a 10-13 year old 470 getting too old for good reliability?
2. Assuming #1 is possible what mileage should I be looking at if I want to put another 100-120 on without too much trouble?
3. Given the house remodel I would like to stick with a 470 that I could trade my truck for and get some money back on the deal, trade value estimates have hovered in the $17-$20K range. Should I forget this and keep driving the truck until I can swing a newer/ lower mileage 460 for added reliability?

Thanks for the help and forgive any ignorance as this is my first post around here.

Nick

I’m on my second GX and I moved out of a 2013 F-250. I miss my 250; the 6.7 is an amazing power plant. However my needs changed. I moved from a full time GC/builder & part time fly fishing guide to guiding more and building less. I drive around 55-60,000 a year with about 35k pulling a boat. I have loved both my GX’s and will get another (wife now wants a 460 too). I live in Western NC and have a pile of kids! LOL

My bottom line:

The GX is in my opinion one of the most reliable, rugged vehicles ever made. But you can’t expect to drive a 10-15 year old ride as a daily driver without dealing with numerous larger PM/maintenance issues. Unless you are mechanically inclined, have a garage or place to comfortably work, and simply enjoy working on you ride; buying a older used ride might not be the best choice. No matter how sweet a GX is.

Don’t know if it matters but I just bought an ‘08 GX470 with ~169k miles. The dealer I bought it from had TWELVE GX470’s to choose from all with varying mileage.

I sold our ‘19 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 (wanted out of the lease, wife’s quitting her job to stay at home with the baby) that we both LOVED. I spent a couple months looking at hundreds of different vehicles before deciding on the GX470, and with us moving to Idaho in a few years we still needed a real 4x4. I drove several with high and low mileage. The one I ended up with drove and felt like a brand new car. The timing and all maintenance had been done on time. The previous owner even had the light bulbs changed at the Lexus dealer. So they really took care of it. The fuel economy is only 1-2mpg off from the Jeep around town so that’s ok, on the highway though the GX is thirsty by comparison as to be expected. I was surprised that these are this smooth even at this age. While the dealer was installing headrest DVD players and tint I got an ‘05 GX with ~255k miles as a loaner for a week and IT felt tight and responsive. That sold me on the GX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom