Opinions needed, diesel heater 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Opinions needed, diesel heater

Hi everyone, just bought this truck and it seems to have a coolant heater off a tractor on it.

For the life of me i could not figure out what the part did till i was out on the farm and noticed the part on a tractor… anyway seems like a common piece of equipment for starting in the cold.

The truck already has a block heater and its 24v, that being said the truck will be used in northern BC and it gets cold as hell there..

So here is my question,
Keep it as it is
Replace it with a new part
Remove it and return to stock

Cheers and thanks !!
image13.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you sure thats what it is? How does this heat coolant? I dont see any electrical lines.. does it bond to exhaust or something? Any more photos?

Are you sure thats what it is? How does this heat coolant? I dont see any electrical lines.. does it bond to exhaust or something? Any more photos?
So basically it’s a convection heater,

Has a ac wire running out the bottom

Coolent In is the coolent drain plug and out it one of the heater lines

If it works, keep it. These older diesel engines can use all the help they can get for starting in the cold because of lower compression and slower cranking (due to cold oil and low voltage due to cold batteries). Put a couple of 120vac battery blankets around your batteries too, you’ll be amazed at how much that helps starting on those frigid mornings.

If it works, keep it. These older diesel engines can use all the help they can get for starting in the cold because of lower compression and slower cranking (due to cold oil and low voltage due to cold batteries). Put a couple of 120vac battery blankets around your batteries too, you’ll be amazed at how much that helps starting on those frigid mornings.
Cool,
I like the idea of tractor parts on my engine, what do you think about the way it’s routed ?
Also I have no idea if it works the truck is new to me and the wire out of the heater got cut.

The plumbing looks ok to me, its a thermosiphon heater that pulls cold water out of the bottom of the block, heats it and discharges it up top, where it can also run to your cab heater... it will just circulate the coolant by convection as it heats it. You need to check the underside of it where the power cord attaches ( probably easiest done by removing it) , see how you can replace the power cord, and check it for function. when You’re testing it, put hoses on each nipple, with the open ends well above the heater, and fill with water from the inlet end (there is an internal check valve to control direction of water flow) until it flows out the outlet hose end. It needs it to be full of water so you don’t burn out the element When you power up.

The plumbing looks ok to me, its a thermosiphon heater that pulls cold water out of the bottom of the block, heats it and discharges it up top, where it can also run to your cab heater... it will just circulate the coolant by convection as it heats it. You need to check the underside of it where the power cord attaches ( probably easiest done by removing it) , see how you can replace the power cord, and check it for function. when You’re testing it, put hoses on each nipple, with the open ends well above the heater, and fill with water from the inlet end (there is an internal check valve to control direction of water flow) until it flows out the outlet hose end. It needs it to be full of water so you don’t burn out the element When you power up.
Thanks for the info!

I am going to replace the lines,
I was planning on replacing the unit as it looks old and I have found one to replace it with.

Good to know the plumbing looks okay that was the main concern.

Cheers !

Thanks for the info!

I am going to replace the lines,
I was planning on replacing the unit as it looks old and I have found one to replace it with.

Good to know the plumbing looks okay that was the main concern.

Cheers !
They work like a charm! As stated intake of coolant as low down as possible.
Another key is defrost on, plus most have a thermostat. You should notice at least a 1/4 gauge of heat and many times a partially clean windscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom